Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot - OCCUPATION REMOVED July 2017

CaptainR

hi jasjeetk

it would be really helpful if you could post the details here as future readers would have this info too.

Thanks.

Please go through the following text..

I hope it proves to be useful

If you would like to apply for an assessment of your unrelated or higher qualifications, or have been referred to VETASSESS by another assessing authority or DIBP for points test advise of your qualifications, you can apply using our online application form by clicking hereApply or Track Application.

This is a qualification only assessment. Please provide the following documents with your online application:

1. Photograph - One recent passport size photograph (other sizes are not acceptable).

2. Proof of identity - Birth certificate or passport biography page (passport page must show applicant name, photo and date of birth).

3. Change of name - If applicable, evidence of change of name is required; e.g. marriage certificate.

4. Qualification award certificate - If this is unavailable a statement of completion from the academic registrar may be accepted in lieu.

5. Academic transcript - All transcripts must show subjects studied and marks/grades awarded.

6. Signed application record – can be downloaded once your submit your online application.

All documents must be high quality colour copies of the original documents.

If you hold academic qualifications from Pakistan/Nigeria, you are required to provide:

An attested HEC (Higher Education Commission Pakistan) copy of the award certificate and full academic transcript sent directly by courier in a sealed envelope from HEC to VETASSESS. For steps for HEC attestation through courier service please go to:http://hec.gov.pk/english/services/students/Degree%20Attestation%20System/Pages/Degree-Attestation.aspx and click on the relevant courier service under Related links. (Available for applicants from Pakistan only)

OR

A verified copy of the award certificate and full academic transcript sent directly in a sealed envelope from the awarding body to us.

For further details on the fees and payments please follow the link: http://www.vetassess.com.au/Skills-Assessment-for-Migration/Points-Test-Advice/Application-Fee

If there are any changes to your contact details (name, address or telephone number), please inform VETASSESS as soon as possible. This will prevent communication delays.

FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT SKILLS ASSESSMENTS WITH VETASSESS, CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW:

If you need further assistance, please contact us again at migrate@vetassess.com.au

Unquote

Good Day CaptainR and others,

First off, I would like to thank CaptainR for this wonderful forum and the efforts you have put into compiling it.

I had a query regarding the Qualification points when calculating the points for the PR process. I wanted to know if Ships Master Qualification would be considered as an equivalent to bachelors degree i.e. 15 points or would it be considered as a trade qualification i.e. 10 points.

Thanks in advance

Hello Everyone ,

At the outset let me thank you all for all the valuable information that is posted , it definitely helps in sorting out many of the migration issues for seafarers , I have submitted my documents to AMSA and am awaiting their call for the oral , I have been through the questions in the drop box however they seem more than a year old . Has anyone recently given a Masters orals? Would appreciate if the questions could be shared , thanks

Look at the monks,hoarding up in here to drive TAXIS!

Unfortunately the case, I have a full visa and I am not willing to Relocate until there is a Job to go to. But a lot of people don’t seem to understand that there are a lot of Australian Guys way ahead of them in the queue for work in Australia.

Dear Capt C  & Capt R

Thank you for all the valuable information, I decided to go through the immigration process around March'16. I've submitted my documents through my agent and got an Email with my seafarer's ID. I've booked my orals in Sydney for January 5th and after i clear my orals I will submit my EOI immediately. ( Noted that they might cancel our profession on the Skilled list). I'm 26 years old with experience on Aframax tankers, product tankers and I've also cleared my mates and masters from UK. I'm basically from India & want to move to Australia in the hope of having better prospects, but I'm sure that's not possible in the current market scenario.What about studying an MBA? or doing a course in shipping logistics, chartering or becoming a broker? are there any jobs on the market after doing the same?

Also, after getting my PR, how many months do i have to be in Australia.. or can i continue working from India with my Australian PR, finish my sea-time for masters, get my master ticket and then go and apply for jobs, hopefully in a better market at that time?

I've only worked on Singapore and Hong Kong flag ships and will try and request their PCC's following the information from the threads.

My company (Bernhard schulte) is willing to take me back, regardless of my PR. What are your views of the above?

Thanks and hoping to hear from you.

Raoul

• 2 weeks later...
Dear Capt C  & Capt R

Thank you for all the valuable information, I decided to go through the immigration process around March'16. I've submitted my documents through my agent and got an Email with my seafarer's ID. I've booked my orals in Sydney for January 5th and after i clear my orals I will submit my EOI immediately. ( Noted that they might cancel our profession on the Skilled list). I'm 26 years old with experience on Aframax tankers, product tankers and I've also cleared my mates and masters from UK. I'm basically from India & want to move to Australia in the hope of having better prospects, but I'm sure that's not possible in the current market scenario.What about studying an MBA? or doing a course in shipping logistics, chartering or becoming a broker? are there any jobs on the market after doing the same?

Also, after getting my PR, how many months do i have to be in Australia.. or can i continue working from India with my Australian PR, finish my sea-time for masters, get my master ticket and then go and apply for jobs, hopefully in a better market at that time?

I've only worked on Singapore and Hong Kong flag ships and will try and request their PCC's following the information from the threads.

My company (Bernhard schulte) is willing to take me back, regardless of my PR. What are your views of the above?

Thanks and hoping to hear from you.

Raoul

Bare in mind you can't submit the EOI until you have the skills assessment letter. After two weeks after I did the orals I didn't have it so phoned up and asked how long it would take. They said it can take up to 3 months. But having said that within a few days I then had the letter. So maybe the phone call helped.

There's no time limit for when you have to be in Oz. Once you've got PR, you've got it for whenever. I've done much the same, I am continuing with my current employer. I was well aware long before I started this process about the poor state of shipping and it made no difference. I wanted to live in Oz and that's it. Yes I'll get hit with tax and no oz employment benefits but I didn't want to move to Oz to work here, I wanted to live here. I will still be better off than a lot of people here.

Currently I've got my PR application in, uploaded all documents except medical as I am at sea and am now playing the waiting game. I am already living over here on a 1 year working holiday visa and it was the best decision my girlfriend and I made. If my PR doesn't get granted before my WHV expires then I will go onto a bridging visa.

Despite all the doom and gloom on the work front in Oz that everyone is so happy to go on about, don't let that put you off moving down here. If you're still in employment elsewhere then it's perfectly doable.

Good Day CaptainR and others,

First off, I would like to thank CaptainR for this wonderful forum and the efforts you have put into compiling it.

I had a query regarding the Qualification points when calculating the points for the PR process. I wanted to know if Ships Master Qualification would be considered as an equivalent to bachelors degree i.e. 15 points or would it be considered as a trade qualification i.e. 10 points.

Thanks in advance

Ship's Master is an "Advanced Diploma" worth 10 points.

Hello Everyone ,

At the outset let me thank you all for all the valuable information that is posted , it definitely helps in sorting out many of the migration issues for seafarers , I have submitted my documents to AMSA and am awaiting their call for the oral , I have been through the questions in the drop box however they seem more than a year old . Has anyone recently given a Masters orals? Would appreciate if the questions could be shared , thanks

My orals paper should be on there from 2nd November in Sydney, although I can't get the dropbox to open. Maybe a problem with my browser. Best advice I can give is to use the syllabus. For my orals he went through every point on appendix 7, asking about each thing. Starting with listing every ship's certificate, validity and survey intervals. You will need to know all the Oz stuff inside out, OHS, Marine orders, Navigation Act etc, that was all in depth. Relate all your answers to Marine Orders where possible. I learnt the MO numbers and titles of each one off by heart which definitely helped. All the usual, MARPOL, MLC, STCW etc once he could see I knew, he stopped me. I got no rules or buoyage.

This was just me though and examiners vary hugely.

• 4 weeks later...
Bare in mind you can't submit the EOI until you have the skills assessment letter. After two weeks after I did the orals I didn't have it so phoned up and asked how long it would take. They said it can take up to 3 months. But having said that within a few days I then had the letter. So maybe the phone call helped.

There's no time limit for when you have to be in Oz. Once you've got PR, you've got it for whenever. I've done much the same, I am continuing with my current employer. I was well aware long before I started this process about the poor state of shipping and it made no difference. I wanted to live in Oz and that's it. Yes I'll get hit with tax and no oz employment benefits but I didn't want to move to Oz to work here, I wanted to live here. I will still be better off than a lot of people here.

Currently I've got my PR application in, uploaded all documents except medical as I am at sea and am now playing the waiting game. I am already living over here on a 1 year working holiday visa and it was the best decision my girlfriend and I made. If my PR doesn't get granted before my WHV expires then I will go onto a bridging visa.

Despite all the doom and gloom on the work front in Oz that everyone is so happy to go on about, don't let that put you off moving down here. If you're still in employment elsewhere then it's perfectly doable.

Not quite correct about the time limit for PR. Once you are granted PR you have <12 months to enter the country to either live or activate it and then the visa is valid for 5 years and you have to satisfy certain requirements to show your continued commitment to Australia for the visa to be continued, so if you didn't move you'd lose it all.

Ship's Master is an "Advanced Diploma" worth 10 points.

Nope, not even recognised as a diploma. Just a Skilled Occupation for the 10 points.

Any other qualification

You can receive 10 points for any other qualification or award which is recognised as suitable for your nominated occupation in your skills assessment by the relevant assessing authority.

Just an update on the Australian jobs market. It remains very quiet, very few Ports, Surveying, AMSA or even teaching jobs are advertised at the moment. Jobs on coastal ships and offshore oil & gas are rare as hens teeth, probably hundreds of applicants for every job. One thing to appreciate is that you aren't just competing against Australians/Australian PR's for work, you are also competing with New Zealanders who fly in/fly out for the coastal/offshore work. The cutbacks in Offshore Oil & Gas plus the fact that quite a few coastal ships have been axed in the last 18 months means that a glut of experienced seafarers in all ranks exists, my Facebook page is full of Australian ex-colleagues searching for work.

There are a few signs that things are picking up, but it will take time. The industry is heavily reliant on natural resources, so when Coal, Iron Ore, Oil and Gas prices come back up, the industry will improve. At the moment, Australia is not the land of milk and honey for seafarers. I would recommend anyone considering moving at the moment to exercise extreme caution.

If you are successful in securing a seagoing job, I would suggest that you be prepared for the implications onboard of being a new arrival to Australian taking an 'Australian' job, things could be very very comfortable onboard. Even during the boom time as a Brit/non-Australian I had the odd uncomfortable moment.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

Can some one plz help me out with the following.

I am holding New Zealand Deck watch keeper certificate of competency and experience of 4 years as Ships officer. I am Indian national and i do not have New zealand permanat Residency. i wish to apply for Australian Permanent Residency my questions as followed.

1) Can i apply for skill assessment to AMSA under Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Agreement where NZ qualifications are straight way recognized.

2) If Applying under Trans- Tasman Mutual Recognition Agreement still i need to appear for the oral exam to AMSA.

Thanks in Advance.

Hello all,

Can some one plz help me out with the following.

I am holding New Zealand Deck watch keeper certificate of competency and experience of 4 years as Ships officer. I am Indian national and i do not have New zealand permanat Residency. i wish to apply for Australian Permanent Residency my questions as followed.

1) Can i apply for skill assessment to AMSA under Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Agreement where NZ qualifications are straight way recognized.

2) If Applying under Trans- Tasman Mutual Recognition Agreement still i need to appear for the oral exam to AMSA.

Thanks in Advance.

I don't know the answer to this. However, Fact Sheet 05 (https://www.amsa.gov.au/forms-and-publications/Fact-Sheets/AMSA1568.pdf) does specifically state NZ as a recognised country in the same list as UK and other recognises countries, which makes me think that the procedure is the same and you will have to sit for the Australian CoR.

Either way, if you want to come to Australia you will still need to apply for Skills Assessment.

Thanks Capt R,

For your reply.

I just need skill assessment. i am not thinking of COR. As i already work international with good rotation in offshore Drilling. i want Australian PR to stay there with family.

Is there any way i can find out about application for skill assessment via Trans- Tasman Mutual Recognition Act.

Thanks Capt R,

For your reply.

I just need skill assessment. i am not thinking of COR. As i already work international with good rotation in offshore Drilling. i want Australian PR to stay there with family.

Is there any way i can find out about application for skill assessment via Trans- Tasman Mutual Recognition Act.

You could call them on:

Outside Australia: +61 2 6279 5000

Monday to Friday: 8am to 5pm

I do think its likely you will have to sit the exam for the Skill Assessment, but without talking to them I can't be certain.

Good day sir,

I am appearing for Master oral exam on 1st week of march 2017 at Melbourne.

Kindly assist me with past paper or any study material.

kind regards

surendra upadhyay

Please look through this thread from page 1 http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238200

You will find the answers you are looking for, any other questions please post here.

Just an update, New Zealand has today announced the removal of Ships Officers & Captains from it's Long Term Skills Shortage List.

The new SOL list will be announced in the coming months for Australia and it could go either way at the moment for Ships Officers & Captains.