At the start of a long journey!

Rebecca Middleton

Welcome.

Do you know which visa you will be applying for? There are extremely limited options (realistically...none) for family to sponsor a visa (unless they will be your employer) for a non dependent and even then the wait time can be several years.

You may be better off with a skilled migration or employer sponsored visa. Have you checked the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) or Consolidated list (CSOL)? Do you think that this may be an option for you instead?

You can go it alone without an agent, but is always advisable to use one. If you do choose an agent, ensure that they are registered with OMARA > https://www.mara.gov.au/

Welcome to forum.

My first comment on your plan - apply for your skilled migrant visa (I assume that is what you are planning) without the family sponsorship if it is at all possible. Family sponsored visas are processed more slowly and come with restrictions and conditions.

Edited by Bungo

We are applying for the visa subclass 489, my husband has a skill set on both the tasmanian smp list and the consolidated sol plus 20 yrs experience.. It's a temporary visa with restrictions but whether it's family sponsored or state sponsored, that was the visa the agent advised to us when I spoke to one last week. We are planning on living in Tas as that's where the family business is, so at the moment we are still researching the AQF, IELTS, TRA and where to do them. Also pet transportation. Thanks for the advice both ☺

We are applying for the visa subclass 489, my husband has a skill set on both the tasmanian smp list and the consolidated sol plus 20 yrs experience.. It's a temporary visa with restrictions but whether it's family sponsored or state sponsored, that was the visa the agent advised to us when I spoke to one last week. We are planning on living in Tas as that's where the family business is, so at the moment we are still researching the AQF, IELTS, TRA and where to do them. Also pet transportation. Thanks for the advice both [emoji5]

Ahaaaa!! So you know a lot more than you were letting on!! [emoji6]

489 sounds like a good plan, but the 190 sounds better if you are eligible for that one.

I mIght sound like I know a bit but really I'm clueless ha! It's very confusing. The 190 did seem like a better option, but I had conflicting advice - the mara agent I spoke to said we were short of points and that's why we required the 489 for the sponsorship points. But when I did a points calculator we had the 60 needed for the skilled independent. So that was the reason I was then dubious about an agent..We arent in a rush and are looking at a 2 year time frame to move out there, we need to save as much as we can plus I want our daughter to finish her college course. So the processing time wasn't an issue but as we've not put in an eoi on skillselect yet, we can decide what visa is best for us. We're hoping to lodge our visa next April so that we can fly out 2 years later at the same time, the reason for this is our animals can only be transported when the temperature in any airport is below a certain threshold. This is the plan...but you know what they said about those!

I mIght sound like I know a bit but really I'm clueless ha! It's very confusing. The 190 did seem like a better option, but I had conflicting advice - the mara agent I spoke to said we were short of points and that's why we required the 489 for the sponsorship points. But when I did a points calculator we had the 60 needed for the skilled independent. So that was the reason I was then dubious about an agent..We arent in a rush and are looking at a 2 year time frame to move out there, we need to save as much as we can plus I want our daughter to finish her college course. So the processing time wasn't an issue but as we've not put in an eoi on skillselect yet, we can decide what visa is best for us. We're hoping to lodge our visa next April so that we can fly out 2 years later at the same time, the reason for this is our animals can only be transported when the temperature in any airport is below a certain threshold. This is the plan...but you know what they said about those!

If you can get sponsored for the 190 that is the best thing to do, I am sure 60 points would be fine. In fact I thought once someone had state sponsorship they got an invite and no need to top up points, maybe someone can correct if I am wrong on that point.

The 489 family sponsored visa is not good because there are limited numbers granted, you might be ok with a wait but the trouble is you don't know what might happen to rules as you sit in the queue. The 489 visa, whether family or state sponsored, is only provisional, you have up to four years on this visa in which to satisfy the criteria for progressing onto a permanent visa. It ismt a vusa you can obtain and then leVe sitting around whilst you time your move around other things.

If you can get the permanent visa from the start, I just cannot think of any reason to do the provisional visa first. You can get the permanent visa now, validate it by visiting Australia amd then you have five years to time the move according to what works best for you. No such luxury with a 489. Frankly I am shocked that am agent would recommend it when a 190 is an option for you.

If you can get sponsored for the 190 that is the best thing to do, I am sure 60 points would be fine. In fact I thought once someone had state sponsorship they got an invite and no need to top up points, maybe someone can correct if I am wrong on that point.

The 489 family sponsored visa is not good because there are limited numbers granted, you might be ok with a wait but the trouble is you don't know what might happen to rules as you sit in the queue. The 489 visa, whether family or state sponsored, is only provisional, you have up to four years on this visa in which to satisfy the criteria for progressing onto a permanent visa. It ismt a vusa you can obtain and then leVe sitting around whilst you time your move around other things.

If you can get the permanent visa from the start, I just cannot think of any reason to do the provisional visa first. You can get the permanent visa now, validate it by visiting Australia amd then you have five years to time the move according to what works best for you. No such luxury with a 489. Frankly I am shocked that am agent would recommend it when a 190 is an option for you.

Thanks for the info on the 190, I've done more research this arvo and I think this is the path we are going down. We are still going to try and lodge it spring next year, and get all documentation in place for then. Can you give me any info about where to do IELTS and TRA? Thanks.

Thanks for the info on the 190, I've done more research this arvo and I think this is the path we are going down. We are still going to try and lodge it spring next year, and get all documentation in place for then. Can you give me any info about where to do IELTS and TRA? Thanks.

You can do them whenever, both would still be valid for an application next year.

The thing I would advise caution on, is delaying your application though. Rules change, lists change..