New to this site ,general advice

Kial91

Hi all

new to this site but from what I have read already it seems a very helpful forum. I thought I would post my own thread to try and get some advice as I am planning on moving to Brisbane in the near future with my OH. She is an Australian citizen so in a sense it should be a lot easier for me as I will have a place to live whilst settling in etc.

my main worry is finding work, I will be going over on a work visa to start with to basically check the place out and see if it is the right decision to make moving there for good ( partner visa is very expensive )

i was just wondering if anyone on this forum knows anything about the security industry in Brisbane as this is the sector I want to get into, I have recently left the Royal Marines and have my UK sia security licence but I am aware I would need to redo all security courses to gain my Australian security licence.

Any advice on anything would be appreciated.

cheers guys

I don't know about your line of work sorry. But I was wondering, do you mean you are going on a working holiday visa? There is nothing that goes by the name of "working visa" that I can think of anyway. Amazing that so many people seem to miss the word "holiday"!

The reason I mentin it is that this visa has work limitations and will put a lot of employers off you, so if getting an idea of work opportunity is something you want to test out, this is not a great visa to do that. Could give you an overly negative impression.

Sorry yes I mean working holiday visa. Im only going on that visa first instead of the partner visa due to the fact I have not yet been to Australia so would be wise to do it this way instead of paying the thousands of dollars for the partner visa. I have been told I would be able to get work within security whilst being on a working holiday visa so hopefully that is true.

Sorry yes I mean working holiday visa. Im only going on that visa first instead of the partner visa due to the fact I have not yet been to Australia so would be wise to do it this way instead of paying the thousands of dollars for the partner visa. I have been told I would be able to get work within security whilst being on a working holiday visa so hopefully that is true.

Yes I think it is a great visa to test things out on, don't get me wrong on that.

Will your OH be very disappointed if you turn around once she has settled back in and announce you want to go back? i.e. is she really seeing this as a test run?

In theory, the visa allows work in any occupation, it is just in practice it will put some employers off.

It is something we have spoken about often but she does realise it is a test run and if it's not for me then so be it and she is happy with that. Herself and her family out there have convinced me once Im there I won't want to leave so I have high hopes as it is something I really want to do.

im off to Brisbane In a weeks time for a short holiday so the deciding starts then!

I agree you may find your oh does not want to return if you do. I have seen it happen to friends. Also obviously you are apprehensive so you are going to pick up on a lot of things you will not like when you come to live here. Living in Aus is not living in the UK, its completely different, everything is different, the only similarity is we speak the same language. From fish and chips to bacon and many other things, people do not like. The way we drive and overtake and tailgate and do all sorts of awful stuff just some of the things people do not like. If you come with an open mind and do not want UK with sun you will like it but if you want UK with sun you won't.

A WHV suits work that is itinerant and short-term in nature such as bar work, fruit-picking, child-minding etc. If aspects of security work also fit that bill you should have a chance of finding work but bear in mind that you can only work for one employer a max of 6 months so you can see why most would not be interested in you.

Also, should you decide you love it here the visa process itself will take a minimum of 12 months to complete so it is not simply about the cost of the visa. All that said I feel this is a good plan to trial everything though living with In-laws may not be ideal......

I agree you may find your oh does not want to return if you do. I have seen it happen to friends. Also obviously you are apprehensive so you are going to pick up on a lot of things you will not like when you come to live here. Living in Aus is not living in the UK, its completely different, everything is different, the only similarity is we speak the same language. From fish and chips to bacon and many other things, people do not like. The way we drive and overtake and tailgate and do all sorts of awful stuff just some of the things people do not like. If you come with an open mind and do not want UK with sun you will like it but if you want UK with sun you won't.

Im definitely going out with an open mind and not expecting to be better of financially etc like a lot of people believe on these forums so I should be Alright. Just have to give it time once I am there and see how it goes i suppose!

A WHV suits work that is itinerant and short-term in nature such as bar work, fruit-picking, child-minding etc. If aspects of security work also fit that bill you should have a chance of finding work but bear in mind that you can only work for one employer a max of 6 months so you can see why most would not be interested in you.

Also, should you decide you love it here the visa process itself will take a minimum of 12 months to complete so it is not simply about the cost of the visa. All that said I feel this is a good plan to trial everything though living with In-laws may not be ideal......

yes the 6 month max with each employer is a bit of a problem in a way but I would only be looking for casual work to start off with whilst I settle in etc and as mentioned I won't have the pressure of keeping accommodation as I'll have a place at the in-laws.

not sure if this is correct or not but I have been told if you apply for the partner visa whilst in the country its a lot quicker than applying from the UK?

not sure if this is correct or not but I have been told if you apply for the partner visa whilst in the country its a lot quicker than applying from the UK?

No, the opposite. It was always significantly cheaper and quicker to apply from overseas. The prices have been evened up now I believe, not sure if the timing has, but I am quite sure that it will not be quicker applying on shore, best you could hope for is not longer!

Omg lol the tailgating here drives me insane! Also what's with the refusal to move over for people coming down a slip road!!

Hi all

new to this site but from what I have read already it seems a very helpful forum. I thought I would post my own thread to try and get some advice as I am planning on moving to Brisbane in the near future with my OH. She is an Australian citizen so in a sense it should be a lot easier for me as I will have a place to live whilst settling in etc.

my main worry is finding work, I will be going over on a work visa to start with to basically check the place out and see if it is the right decision to make moving there for good ( partner visa is very expensive )

i was just wondering if anyone on this forum knows anything about the security industry in Brisbane as this is the sector I want to get into, I have recently left the Royal Marines and have my UK sia security licence but I am aware I would need to redo all security courses to gain my Australian security licence.

Any advice on anything would be appreciated.

cheers guys

Hello to the bootneck from the ex Para!

Seems you are being looked after pretty well here so I thought I'd just welcome you to the site.

No, the opposite. It was always significantly cheaper and quicker to apply from overseas. The prices have been evened up now I believe, not sure if the timing has, but I am quite sure that it will not be quicker applying on shore, best you could hope for is not longer!

Oh ok well it seems ill probably be in aus when i apply so hopefully it doesnt take too long

Oh ok well it seems ill probably be in aus when i apply so hopefully it doesnt take too long

I believe applying onshore generally takes longer and you have to have police checks in both countries for instance. If you only stay for 12 months then you would need to leave part way through the process. Not sure how that works or f there is some kind of bridging visa you can add to a WHV. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I can answer this.

Im definitely going out with an open mind and not expecting to be better of financially etc like a lot of people believe on these forums so I should be Alright. Just have to give it time once I am there and see how it goes i suppose!

I did a similar thing, went on a 7 week holiday with my Australian Fiancé and our children from the UK, it was with an open mind that if I didn't like it, we would stay in the UK.................but I loved it the outdoor lifestyle, cosmopolitan feel, we visited a few areas also.

hope this helps.

cheers MT

I believe applying onshore generally takes longer and you have to have police checks in both countries for instance. If you only stay for 12 months then you would need to leave part way through the process. Not sure how that works or f there is some kind of bridging visa you can add to a WHV. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I can answer this.

I was planning on being there for 12 months on the first whv then applying for the 2nd but im not sure if your able to apply for partner visa in that time as well? When i go out next week ill try find out some more information about it though