Declaring Goods - please help!

aconcannon

My husband & I are in the process of completing our AQIS 'unaccompanied goods' forms & I wonder if anybody could help with the following questions please:

Do we declare wooden photo frames?

Do we 'need' to declare everything that's less than 12 months old? I know we're supposed to but curious whether everybody else declared the Small stock of cosmetics & a few food items? If you did, did you get charged tax on them all?

Thanks in advance :)

personally I wouldn't worry about declaring small stuff, if it were a T.V or the like I would, as for the picture frame I'd tell them and put it somewhere easy for customs to find, otherwise if you don't tell them and they find it they might go through all your belongings to see if you have omitted anything else.

Thanks for the advice guys! Really helpful!

We've already packed & sealed all of our boxes but wrote ourselves an itemised list for each box so I'll just make sure on the inventory form I mark which ones are wooden.

Re declaring products, the most expensive item is probably a £20 foundation which I packed 6 of, so figured it's probably not worth declaring.

My husband & I are in the process of completing our AQIS 'unaccompanied goods' forms & I wonder if anybody could help with the following questions please:

Do we 'need' to declare everything that's less than 12 months old? I know we're supposed to but curious whether everybody else declared the Small stock of cosmetics & a few food items? If you did, did you get charged tax on them all?

I wouldn't pack any food items as they are a big no in shipping. You should definitely declare them if you do, but I would recommend taking any food items in your packed suitcase instead.

@NicF we haven't been advised we can't ship any food, other than obvious things like nuts & seeds etc. We've just packed some decent gravy granuals & some Heinz beans. I'm a little worried now. May I ask where you got that info from please? We couldn't put them in our cases as we have a month holidaying in different countries before we land in Australia.

@NicF we haven't been advised we can't ship any food, other than obvious things like nuts & seeds etc. We've just packed some decent gravy granuals & some Heinz beans. I'm a little worried now. May I ask where you got that info from please? We couldn't put them in our cases as we have a month holidaying in different countries before we land in Australia.

Processed food like you mention is fine. My wife always bought in loads of gravy granules and other items, no problem. It is fresh food, meat and that sort of stuff that is a problem.

Yes I know they we can buy them over there, but when we moved out of our house we had 4 tins of beans so just decided to pack them rather than throw them away. As for good gravey granuals - I've never come across any in Australia on my various visits, and again we had them in the cupboard

http://www.agriculture.gov.au/travelling/moving-emigrating/personal_effects - look at the kitchen section.

You should be fine with tinned beans and unopened gravy granuals, especially if you make sure you say exactly what you have packed, but the fact you have packed food in your boxes may make AQIS take a closer look at everything else. I've heard that they tend to pay a bit more attention to shipments packed by owners than shipments packed by removal companies, not sure how true this is but I could understand why they would.

http://www.agriculture.gov.au/travelling/moving-emigrating/personal_effects - look at the kitchen section.

You should be fine with tinned beans and unopened gravy granuals, especially if you make sure you say exactly what you have packed, but the fact you have packed food in your boxes may make AQIS take a closer look at everything else. I've heard that they tend to pay a bit more attention to shipments packed by owners than shipments packed by removal companies, not sure how true this is but I could understand why they would.

We have done the trip a few times and have never used a removal company but thankfully have never had them go through our stuff. When we have shipped motorbikes they take a look at those and once I made the mistake of declaring something of interest but even then they only looked in the specific box. Also I have only ever labelled boxes as 'kitchen equipment' or bedding or whatever and never itemised the stuff apart from that one time.

Thanks again for your advice @bristolman :-)

We've packed all of our boxes ourselves but Anglo Pacific will collect the boxes from our house & then deliver them to us at the other end. I believe they charge you if they actually have to open one of your boxes...was that the case when you had one of your boxes searched? I just don't want them to find my stock of new cosmetics & toiletries etc & to get charged tax on them all..and get in trouble for not declaring them. :-(

Edited by aconcannon

Always declare the food items irrespective of what they are.

Edited by ali

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if we should declare a portable BBQ. We love it and we consider taking it with us. My only concern is that you can never completely clean a BBQ.

Also, I am thinking of taking our Dyson Animal cordless vac and I was wondering if there are restrictions for vacuums.

Any thoughts or real life experience?