Bricklaying work around sydney

Spencer bevan

Hello is there any bricklayers currently working within a 30 mile radius of Sydney.

I have read a lot about the need for bricklayers and the prices and would like to know the real story..

I would like to move to Australia from England after meeting my now wife there three years ago.

I live 30 miles from London in Hertfordshire and would like to live the same sort of distance from Sydney.

I hear about the Australian prices of $1.50 a brick can this be true?

Atm I am getting £430 a thousand and £12.50 m2 I always earn between £900-1250 a week and are never out of work. I'm 35 and have been in the game since 16 ..

I know the cost of living is higher than here but the house prices seem much cheaper for the same distance outside the city how worse off would I be if I made the move?

I don't know anything about bricklaying. But I am wondering where you have seen that is as cheap as Hertfordshire? Not that Hertfordshire is particularly cheap of course. We just moved back to Herts after five years in Sydney. Mortgage free in Herts, never made it onto the property ladder in Sydney, never could quite face the enormous mortgage it would entail..

I don't know anything about bricklaying. But I am wondering where you have seen that is as cheap as Hertfordshire? Not that Hertfordshire is particularly cheap of course. We just moved back to Herts after five years in Sydney. Mortgage free in Herts, never made it onto the property ladder in Sydney, never could quite face the enormous mortgage it would entail..

I didn't say in Sydney as I know they are as high as London I said about 30 miles outside like Hertfordshire is to London .. I have looked around Penrith and a smiler house in my area would be near twice the price.

You are earning a good steady wage in the UK so I would think carefully before coming to Australia as a bricklayer. My husband was a bricklayer for quite a few years and it is very up and down. We moved from Sydney to Perth then back to Sydney again because of the building work drying up in each place. He was a site foreman later on and that was much better. Bricklaying is hard work and not much fun in hot weather. You will usually be employed by sub-contractors.

• 11 months later...