Looking for a bit of advice if possible

Andym90

Hi my name is Andy and I'm 20 years old from the UK.

i have been wanting to go to Australia alone for a while now and have decided I am going to take the plunge and do it before it's too late.

There is just a few questions i have which I hope your experiences may be able to answer!

I will be taking about 4000 AUD - I want to be there as long as possible but my first priority when I land in oz is work. I would want to sort myself a job out as soon as I could and I don't mind what so ever what role it would be aslong as I would be earning money.

I will book a hostel before I leave for 14 night accommodation so my first 2 weeks are paid for.

I won't spend silly amount of money until I have a job so I would be careful of what I was spending my money on etc.

i I just wonder how many job vacancys there are in Sydney..like how many people are looking for work compared to how many people there are. I'm not the sort of person to half heartedly look and then give up. I would want to find work as my first priority as I stated above. So if someone could share there experiences in oz on finding work etc and just a push in the right direction really that would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Nobody knows how many job vacancies there are in Sydney. That is way too general a question. There's always lots of WHV types looking for work in all Australian cities.

I guess you're going on a WHV? When are you going? Some jobs may be seasonal.

If you have some skills to offer then that would help you? Bar work? Hospitality? Sales? You'll need to do a bit of leg-work I'm afraid; go in person to hand in a cv for any job adverts that you see.

You may hear of work through your hostel too.

Good luck.

Hi Andy,

Do you have a visa that allows you to legally work in Australia? $4000 is not a great deal of money to set yourself up with, especially in Sydney. To be honest, I'd be looking at taking that amount for a two week holiday in order to cover food, accommodation and transport.

Nobody knows how many job vacancies there are in Sydney. That is way too general a question. There's always lots of WHV types looking for work in all Australian cities.

I guess you're going on a WHV? When are you going? Some jobs may be seasonal.

If you have some skills to offer then that would help you? Bar work? Hospitality? Sales? You'll need to do a bit of leg-work I'm afraid; go in person to hand in a cv for any job adverts that you see.

You may hear of work through your hostel too.

Good luck.

Hi thank you both for your replies.

I have spoken to a few companys that introduce you to life in Oz and spend a week doing activities and things 'ozintro' for example and they have advised me that between 4-5 AUD will be enough to set off with. Maybe this is incorrect information.

Like i said my first 2 weeks accommodation would already be paid for before i get to oz i might even sort a months accommodation before hand.

I would be going on a WHV yes and i am planning to start my trip in late october. I have 15 'GCSE' grades from my school days and i have 2 NVQ in customer service and sales. nearly 4 years experience working in a sales office so i do have experience and qualifications. Just needed some advice really as it is a gamble, but its a gamble that i feel is worth taking. Just trying to do as much research as possible.

Thanks once again.

Hi my name is Andy and I'm 20 years old from the UK.

i have been wanting to go to Australia alone for a while now and have decided I am going to take the plunge and do it before it's too late.

There is just a few questions i have which I hope your experiences may be able to answer!

I will be taking about 4000 AUD - I want to be there as long as possible but my first priority when I land in oz is work. I would want to sort myself a job out as soon as I could and I don't mind what so ever what role it would be aslong as I would be earning money.

I will book a hostel before I leave for 14 night accommodation so my first 2 weeks are paid for.

I won't spend silly amount of money until I have a job so I would be careful of what I was spending my money on etc.

i I just wonder how many job vacancys there are in Sydney..like how many people are looking for work compared to how many people there are. I'm not the sort of person to half heartedly look and then give up. I would want to find work as my first priority as I stated above. So if someone could share there experiences in oz on finding work etc and just a push in the right direction really that would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Well the unemployment rate is a touch higher than in the UK, so if you can imagine what it would be like to find work in the UK at the moment, well it would be a touch harder in Sydney. I really don't think it is possible to be more specific than that, especially with such limited information about yourself and your experience.

Do you have an idea of how long you would want to spend in Australia, or do you need to go for a specific time if you are giving something up here?

The reason I ask is because when I was roughly your age I found myself with a spare 5 weeks inbetween jobs, so I went off by myself for that time to Corfu! (I know it's not Oz, but I'd recently had a holiday there). I left with £1000, found accommodation when I got there, did some sightseeing around the island, spent a few days in different places and managed to get the odd 'job' here and there, sometimes just for a night waitressing in exchange for free B&B. As a result of this, one of the tavernas offered me a job for the rest of the season but I didn't take it because I had a new job lined up to return home for.

If you can be that carefree until your money runs out you may also get lucky and get a job offer, but if not, are you prepared to return home within 6 weeks or so? It depends on whether you look at this as a bit of an experience for as long as you can make it last, or if you'd be disappointed if it didn't last for longer than you'd hoped for.

I must add that if I had that sort of opportunity (especially at the age I am now and with the responsibilities I have now) I'd jump at the chance of doing it, even if it was only for another 5 weeks!

Oh, and I'd suggest you taking a pre-paid visa card if you're taking that amount of money. If you haven't got a bank account in Oz you don't want to be carrying that amount of cash with you or have it in your luggage in hostels etc. They didn't exist when I went and I rented a safety deposit box to put my cash in.