Oh no...... No Argos!

Teejams

Unfortunately or possibly fortunately for my husband!.....I don't like shopping, I don't like spending a fortune on parking and hours walking around shops to find one thing.

I'm also not that keen on Internet shopping either, I like to see or feel what I'm buying. The amount of times I've bought something on the net only to find the quality is really poor or the size not what I thought. (Even with a tape measure)

If something breaks, or I'm looking for an economical present, or something a bit unusual, my first thought is the Argos catalogue!

It pretty much has everything, I can get reviews and more product info on the net if I need to! Look at it before I agree to take it home and I've never had a problem returning anything.

Yes it's cheap and cheerful and often the quality is not that good, but it does the job and is so quick.

On our recent visit, I realised Australia has no Argos or equivalent. I know there are stores such as IKEA and K Mart, etc, but is it just a case of tramping round the shops and hoping you can find what you need?

Many Thanks

I don't know why people think shopping in Oz is less enjoyable than shopping in England. Surely this will depend what it is you do or don't like about shopping. Personally I hate crowds and my OH can't cope with too much choice. I think it's probably fair to say that most of the time we much prefer shopping in Australia to England. I even like grocery shopping here as my local store is really quiet before 10am on a Saturday morning but I always did my grocery shopping online in the UK to avoid the crowds.

OP - we have a great K-Mart near us and a large Target not far as well. Neither have quite the same range as an Argos catelogue but both have large selections of things like toys, books, electronics and household goods. I usually go to one or the other for birthday presents.

I'm having the same experience in reverse! In Australia, if I was looking for any kind of household needs or casual clothing, I'd go straight to my nearest Target, and be reasonably confident I'd find it. Plus unlike Argos, I can pick up the products and take as long as I like to examine them without someone standing over me! If Target didn't have it, I'd go to K-mart, which would probably be on another floor in the same shopping centre, or BigW.

If I can't find what I want in one of those stores, then because they're usually inside a huge Westfields shopping mall, it's only a short distance to try somewhere else (and easy to find alternatives on the directory) - unlike the UK, where I find I have to walk much further, due to shops being spread out over high streets and smaller malls, and of course there's no directory of where they are!

When I have time I do like being able to go shopping on an old-fashioned high street in the open air instead of inside a big air-conditioned hangar - but if you're trying to find something specific it can be tiring.

Edited by Marisawright

Sorry OP but I'm really really happy there is no Argos here!!! If my memory serves me right I just hated flicking through the catalogue, writing the product number on a bit of paper, queuing up to pay at a till then queuing up to wait until the product was brought to the counter then getting frustrated waiting until the person manning the counter realised my product was there and calling my number, and worst of all getting home and the disappointment of opening the box and realising it bears little resemblance to the picture and the write up!!

Thank you I'll aim for K mart, Target and Big W then.I'm surprised Australia has so many familiar shops, I didn't expect it. It's just nice to know where to head for things, when you first arrive.Marisawright, I hope you're selling back ok? let me know if there's something you can't find locally, we are near you in Fareham!

Fantastic Furniture (not sure if there are in all states) seems to do Argos-like furniture at equally reasonable prices. For similar household stuff (ie, office stuff, toys, gardening etc) I'd probably go to K-Mart.

I personally found that whatever I wanted from Argos, it would pretty much be guaranteed to be out of stock!

Marisawright, I hope you're selling back ok? let me know if there's something you can't find locally, we are near you in Fareham!

Still deeply unimpressed with Southampton, but feeling more optimistic that once our lease is up, we'll be able to find somewhere more affordable and nicer to live in. We went to Salisbury the other week and that really lifted my spirits - it makes no sense that a smaller city could have so much more choice of shops than a big place like Southampton, but there you go. We even managed to find a drinkable coffee. It gave me hope that we can find a place we'll feel at home in eventually!

We went to Salisbury the other week and that really lifted my spirits - it makes no sense that a smaller city could have so much more choice of shops than a big place like Southampton, but there you go. We even managed to find a drinkable coffee. It gave me hope that we can find a place we'll feel at home in eventually!

That's interesting that you say that. I've lived in both Salisbury and Southampton - although admittedly well over 30 years ago - and visit both on trips back home.

What shopping does Salisbury have that Southampton doesn't? Southampton has all the usual British High Street shops plus the John Lewis, Ikea, Debenhams etc. I'd have thought that Salisbury might have a few more boutique-ey independent shops - plus the very good market, of course.

Is the difference that Southampton is basically chain-store central - in effect, no different to any other British High Street - whereas Salisbury has a few independents?

Argos??? People still shop there? How do you know the quality of the product, it is in a big warehouse out the back. It was like internet shopping before the internet existed wit ha big catalogue

I miss Argos too but only for the reclining sun loungers they sell! If I could fill a container and bring them out for my own personal use thsat would probably solve the problem.... :-)

When you get here though, even if you dislike internet shopping, do what I do and check lasoo.com.au for your area before you go and filter down which shops have the product you want at the best prices. I absolutely detest going from shop to shop comparing prices only to end up back at the first one so this saves a lot of time. Got a great suitcase set the other day from Officeworks, of all places - never would have even thought of looking there if I hadn't checked beforehand.

Lots of shops here will price match with a competitor too so another reason to research before you go.

Unfortunately or possibly fortunately for my husband!.....I don't like shopping, I don't like spending a fortune on parking and hours walking around shops to find one thing.

I'm also not that keen on Internet shopping either, I like to see or feel what I'm buying. The amount of times I've bought something on the net only to find the quality is really poor or the size not what I thought. (Even with a tape measure)

If something breaks, or I'm looking for an economical present, or something a bit unusual, my first thought is the Argos catalogue!

It pretty much has everything, I can get reviews and more product info on the net if I need to! Look at it before I agree to take it home and I've never had a problem returning anything.

Yes it's cheap and cheerful and often the quality is not that good, but it does the job and is so quick.

On our recent visit, I realised Australia has no Argos or equivalent. I know there are stores such as IKEA and K Mart, etc, but is it just a case of tramping round the shops and hoping you can find what you need?

Many Thanks

First time I came to the UK, I walked into an Argos and thought wtf? It was just so different to anything I had seen before. Grown to love it though.

That's interesting that you say that. I've lived in both Salisbury and Southampton - although admittedly well over 30 years ago - and visit both on trips back home.

What shopping does Salisbury have that Southampton doesn't? Southampton has all the usual British High Street shops plus the John Lewis, Ikea, Debenhams etc. I'd have thought that Salisbury might have a few more boutique-ey independent shops - plus the very good market, of course.

Is the difference that Southampton is basically chain-store central - in effect, no different to any other British High Street - whereas Salisbury has a few independents?

I can't offer names because I'm not familiar with British chain stores any more, but my impression is that Southampton doesn't have all the usual British High Street shops. Even in the glitzy new West Quay mall, there are very few shops I could walk into and buy clothes. They are all aimed at young people, full of cheap throwaway clothes and plastic shoes, like Primark or New Look. The main shopping street (Above Bar) and Marlands shopping centre consist mainly of Pound shops and other "saver" type stores. The only quality shoe shop is Clark's.

I was thinking maybe this was the new British High Street, but then when I got to Salisbury (and Winchester, where I went yesterday), I saw more shops with nice "grown-up" clothes and decent shoes.

Edited by Marisawright

I can't offer names because I'm not familiar with British chain stores any more, but my impression is that Southampton doesn't have all the usual British High Street shops. Even in the glitzy new West Quay mall, there are very few shops I could walk into and buy clothes. They are all aimed at young people, full of cheap throwaway clothes and plastic shoes, like Primark or New Look. The main shopping street (Above Bar) and Marlands shopping centre consist mainly of Pound shops and other "saver" type stores. The only quality shoe shop is Clark's.

I was thinking maybe this was the new British High Street, but then when I got to Salisbury (and Winchester, where I went yesterday), I saw more shops with nice "grown-up" clothes and decent shoes.

Oh, right. I see what you mean.

Winchester (and Salisbury to a lesser degree) are pretty wealthy towns so the shops are obviously going to be a bit classier overall.

I seem to recall that Winchester has the most expensive real estate in the UK after London, so you're not going to find many cheap chain stores there.

I guess you're more of a Hobbs shopper than Matalan. :wink:

Edited by NickyNook

'm

I guess you're more of a Hobbs shopper than Matalan.

Never heard of either of those (they're not in Southampton), but it's more a question of age - I'm 60 so would look pretty silly in tiny-teeny shorts, skintight leggings or belt-like mini-skirts, which is all the shops seem to sell! However I don't want to look like an old lady either and also don't want to spend a fortune - a bit shocked at how dear Marks & Spencer and John Lewis are.

In Australia I'd mainly buy my clothes at Jacqui E, Sussan or Target.

Edited by Marisawright

Never heard of either of those (they're not in Southampton), but it's more a question of age - I'm 60 so would look pretty silly in tiny-teeny shorts, skintight leggings or belt-like mini-skirts, which is all the shops seem to sell! However I don't want to look like an old lady either and also don't want to spend a fortune - a bit shocked at how dear Marks & Spencer and John Lewis are.

In Australia I'd mainly buy my clothes at Jacqui E, Sussan or Target.

I agree with QSS, the supermarkets are very much on par with Target and when we first moved out I really missed Next for my grown-up sensible work clothes and found Jacqui E and Susan good replacements so perhaps Next will suit you doing the reverse. BHS is pretty good too, I stocked up on vests and t-shirts for my hols and the quality is a bit better than the supermarkets.

To the OP I missed Argos too - I was often left wondering where to buy things in Australia but you do adjust and now I miss K-Mart and Target!!