skilled visa for joiner how much total?

marie

Hi.

I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of the process for skilled visa for my husband who is a qualified joiner.

I can see the skilled visa is $3600australia dollars. However I was unsure about costs for skills recognising?

As I am Australian my husband could get partner visa but has just gone up to $7000australia dollars and takes 12 months to approve.

I would think skilled migration certainly cheaper and quicker that a partner visa at the moment. Maybe a couple of grand for skills assessment, I am sure you can contact the assessing body to find out. It would be more stressful than the partner visa application though, with skills assessment, English tests etc., so you have to weigh it up against that.

Firstly, you need to see if his occupation is on the Skilled Occupations List (SOL) 2014 - 2015: http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/SOL

[TABLE=class: table-100, width: 497]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #DDEEFF]Carpenter and Joiner[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #DDEEFF]331211[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #DDEEFF]TRA[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE=class: table-100, width: 497]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #DDEEFF]Joiner[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #DDEEFF]331213[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #DDEEFF]TRA[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Secondly, does he have a NVQ or any trade qualifications. If so, how long has he had them for?

The above two seem to fit what you described. If that is so, he will need to have a Skills Assessment from Trades Recognition Australia. In order to achieve a positive Skills Assessment, he needs to have been working at the required skill level for 3 years (including in the past 12 months) and has to have 3 years POST qualification i.e. NVQ Level 2 - Carpentry & Joinery.

If he doesn't hold a NVQ Level 2 or higher, he will need to gain Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) through a relevant body such as Skilling Australia (see link below) which will cost you roughly £1500-£2000. They will send him lots of paperwork and will come out to site to assess him. Depending on the outcome, he should then receive the Australian qualification in Carpentry and Joinery (or whatever it's titled).

Skilling Australia - http://www.skillingaustralia.com

Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) - http://www.tradesrecognitionaustralia.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx

TRA Application Guidelines - http://www.tradesrecognitionaustralia.gov.au/Programs/Migration/Documents/33.%20TRA%20MSA%20Applicant%20Guidelines%20V9.0.pdf

Edited by PomCop

As for the cost.

Standard 189 Visa (solo applicant) would be in the £2000GBP region

Skills Assessment from TRA: A$1000 (around £500GBP)

Medicals: Anything up to £300 per person

Police Check: £45 per person

In total, for one applicant, you're easily talking £3000.

thank you so much for the reply,

he has NVQ Level 3 - Carpentry & Joinery plus has been doing joinery for 13years approx., So does this mean he doesn't have to have techinal interview or practical?

I just need to pay documentary assessment which is £510 with the RTO I picked off the list 'Australian construction training services'

As if that's the case it looks like the skilled visa will be almost £1000 cheaper than the partner visa and 6months quicker :jiggy:

• 1 year later...