Easily Stressed Rescue Dog

Hi,

I am looking for some advice on my dog, he is called Kai and is a border collie. We rescued him from the RSPCA around 5 years ago, he was abandoned by his previous owners.

it took him a while to settle with us, very nervous and anxious.

He he is a brilliant dog now, very loyal and loving but he is very pack orientated with myself and my husband and doesn't really like being separated. He is very settled when he is in his own environment but if we take him to the in laws house he just doesn't settle and can whine quite a bit.

do you have advice on putting this kind of dog through the process of taking to Australia?

We really want him with us as we would never want to give him up.

Many thanks,

Sarah

Edited by Sarahb1986

Before you leave, well before, could you work with a professional trainer on his separation anxiety issues? A border collie is a very intelligent breed and he would hopefully respond to training very well.

Hi Bungo,

yes that's an idea. We are looking at going in November then bringing him over in the January, he will stay in our home and we have family that are going to look after him.

i will have a look into a trainer and see what's around.

Yes, he is super intelligent even for a dog in double figures!

Thanks!

Our dog arrived in Sydney this morning, I have called to see if he is ok but just told to wait for an email update within 24 hours! How bad is that?.

Our dog sounds similar to yours, he is very anxious and hates being alone or in new situations. I have spent a long time wether we have done the right thing putting him through that. But at the end of the day, I could never get rid of him, and a couple of weeks of upset for him will only be a tiny part of his whole life. Cruel to be kind and all that!

Hi, My 2 dogs arrived in Sydney January just gone. My youngest dog had separation anxiety from me.They both actually made the journey in better condition than myself.I used a great pet shipping company, when they arrived in quarantine I phoned and was told that they had settled well. When I was reunited with them they had lost a little weight which I had anticipated but settled well within a short time.

Our dog arrived in Sydney this morning, I have called to see if he is ok but just told to wait for an email update within 24 hours! How bad is that?.

Our dog sounds similar to yours, he is very anxious and hates being alone or in new situations. I have spent a long time wether we have done the right thing putting him through that. But at the end of the day, I could never get rid of him, and a couple of weeks of upset for him will only be a tiny part of his whole life. Cruel to be kind and all that!

Thank you for your reply!

I know what you mean about focusing on the end result and I know when he see's us for the first time again he will be very excited. It's just the thought of him being with strangers and in that crate and also in quarantine where he isn't allowed walks, treats or toys for 10 days :-(

did is you use PetAir?

Sarah x

Thank you for your reply!

I know what you mean about focusing on the end result and I know when he see's us for the first time again he will be very excited. It's just the thought of him being with strangers and in that crate and also in quarantine where he isn't allowed walks, treats or toys for 10 days :-(

did is you use PetAir?

Sarah x

Not allowed walks? Is that new? The dogs were certainly walked when I was there (not me, my pets...) and people could pay a little for extra walks too.

No they aren't allowed walks, visits, toys etc.

We didn't use pet air, be prepared for a loooong and very expensive process. Even if you are only thinking at this stage, get his rabies jabs done just in case, if you haven't already.

We got the email today from quarantine saying he is OK, also mentioned about increasing his food (he weighs 11 stone!)

I would say take him with you, it's definitely the lesser of two evils I think. It is horrendously expensive though! The things we do for our dogs hey

Not allowed walks? Is that new? The dogs were certainly walked when I was there (not me, my pets...) and people could pay a little for extra walks too.

Hi Bungo,

the quarantine laws changed so they are only in for 10 days but no interaction is allowed, no walks, treats, no visits, nothing. Think this is the hardest thing for me as with any dog, especially a border collie, who loves 3 walks a day!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sarah

we just recently flew the bounciest border collie ever (he is young though) and he got through the restrictions ok. The thing is that it is short term pain for long term gain. and they get through it even if they dont enjoy it.

Key thing is to get rabies work started and set so that he is able to go when you want him to go.

Maybe it is worth having the crate before hand to get him used to that and some people put their dogs into kennels for 1 day, then 2 days then 3 days etc to get the used to being kenneled.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sarah/ everyone,

I only joined the forum today but just wondered how people have been getting on? We are flying our 2 rescues out in March, but it's breaking my heart as they will be 14 and the eldest, Meg (she sounds like your rescue), is so incredibly anxious. She had cancer in January and whilst coming out of General Anaesthetic, she woke up when someone dropped a metal pan on the floor, vet said she has never seen such an anxious dog, should’ve taken her a while to come round but ‘boom’ she was up and about, crazy. I was wondering if anyone has any tips. The only good thing is she will be in her crate, mesh to mesh with her sister.

do you have advice on putting this kind of dog through the process of taking to Australia?

One word: Tranquilizers

My cat is a real scaredy cat. She is highly neurotic and runs around like a little firecracker. She likes me and sticks close and follows me everywhere (I can't even go to the loo in peace), she tolerates my hubby. She hates and is terrified of everyone else. Runs a mile slinking down low. Has anxiety too. How the heck did I end up with such a nutter!

But at this very second she is sitting next to me on the sofa whilst the builders are outside - UNHEARD OF!

I gave her a tranquilizer this morning.

Vet said it would knock her completely out for 8 hours. It didn't. But it has calmed her down significantly.

Now just wondering if it would be ethical to give her one daily! :laugh:

Anyway get a vet to give your dog some calming tablets or injection just before he goes in the crate.

My cat is a real scaredy cat. She is highly neurotic and runs around like a little firecracker. She likes me and sticks close and follows me everywhere (I can't even go to the loo in peace), she tolerates my hubby. She hates and is terrified of everyone else. Runs a mile slinking down low. Has anxiety too. How the heck did I end up with such a nutter!

But at this very second she is sitting next to me on the sofa whilst the builders are outside - UNHEARD OF!

I gave her a tranquilizer this morning.

Vet said it would knock her completely out for 8 hours. It didn't. But it has calmed her down significantly.

Now just wondering if it would be ethical to give her one daily! :laugh:

Anyway get a vet to give your dog some calming tablets or injection just before he goes in the crate.

Noooooo.

Never for flying! In fact if an airline even suspects an animal has been sedated they will refuse to fly it. And for good reason.

I didn't think this was allowed when they flew for various reasons. Calming stuff bought over the counter yes, but not vet administererd or prescribed.

Hi Sarah/ everyone,

I only joined the forum today but just wondered how people have been getting on? We are flying our 2 rescues out in March, but it's breaking my heart as they will be 14 and the eldest, Meg (she sounds like your rescue), is so incredibly anxious. She had cancer in January and whilst coming out of General Anaesthetic, she woke up when someone dropped a metal pan on the floor, vet said she has never seen such an anxious dog, should’ve taken her a while to come round but ‘boom’ she was up and about, crazy. I was wondering if anyone has any tips. The only good thing is she will be in her crate, mesh to mesh with her sister.

Speak to Bob from PatAir. Not only has he been responsible for transporting thousands of cats and dogs to Oz, he is also a vet. He is one of the most respected members of this forum and gives excellent advice.

Guest The Pom Queen
I didn't think this was allowed when they flew for various reasons. Calming stuff bought over the counter yes, but not vet administererd or prescribed.

This is correct you can spray pheromones but no tranquillisers

Guest The Pom Queen
Really!

Why?

First no airline will take a pet that has been tranquillised as it can affect their heart and lungs not only that but it can throw them off balance when the crates are moved around and they lose the ability to brace themselves for impact, bumps etc.

Noooooo.

Never for flying! In fact if an airline even suspects an animal has been sedated they will refuse to fly it. And for good reason.

Absolutely. Tranquillisers are extremely dangerous for pets whilst travelling. No airline would knowingly let a drugged animal fly.

Hi

what was the tranquilizer your vet gave? Medical grade drugs are not allowed as how they work is not guaranteed at air pressure changes, but some more "alternative" things are allowed - the pheromone spray, zylkene and sometimes clomicalm.

the short answer is that if your pet turns up at the airport looking tranquillised then they will not be allowed to fly.

Thanks for the info. We tried the pheromone spray, sent her the other way, she turned in to a bouncing puppy again. We are doing a few dummy runs, over night stays in kennels (they've never been in kennels before), first stay is in 3 weeks, she will bunk with her sister but the second stay I will ask for separate kennels. Literally from 5pm till 8am, will kill me, but need to see how she copes. Any other advice would be helpful, but she is unique... 2 vets have told us, she is the most anxious dog they've seen.... I think the other dog will be upset but she can cope... I hope.