Weather in Melbourne - This Week

North to South

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am local but unfortunately cannot help with the weather. The weather forecast often changes in an hour or two. Last week it rained every day. Yesterday it was 20 degrees and sunny, this morning its grey and overcast. Temp is expected to be 17 and it looks like a 17 day. Tomorrow we are getting rain I think but that could change.

What we do here in Melbourne is look at the day and see what it has to offer weather wise. Winter starts 1st of June and the days are getting shorter. Not as short as the UK.

Good luck

• 4 weeks later...

Please, please, please do not come to Melbourne for good weather!!

If you like the variety of the seasons then all good (sometimes all in one day, it's true what they say). However if you don't like the wind, rain and grey skies then Melbourne may not be for you. Melbourne's weather is warmer than the UK and it definitely gets more sunshine but if your coming from the UK expecting tropical conditions you'll be sadly disappointed!!

Don't want to sound too negative, just want people to have realistic expectations.

It's now 8.30am, sunny and 7 degrees, when I breathe I can see my breath!!

And it will be a beautiful winters day. Clear sunny and 16 degrees or so. Fabulous.

It is always cold in the early morning in winter when there is no cloud to provide any insulating effect.

Usually it means it will be a perfect winters day. Just wait till about 11am.

I would just point out that whilst 16 degrees and sunny is beautiful - houses here are mostly glorified tents, no insulation, no double glazing, no uPVC, no cavity walls, no Central heating so it often feels colder inside a house than out. Bring plenty of layers to wear - you can strip down in the sunshine and rug up indoors lol.

I would just point out that whilst 16 degrees and sunny is beautiful - houses here are mostly glorified tents, no insulation, no double glazing, no uPVC, no cavity walls, no Central heating so it often feels colder inside a house than out. Bring plenty of layers to wear - you can strip down in the sunshine and rug up indoors lol.

Ridiculous sweeping generalisation of the day.

Right now I'm in my house with 4 layers on and a scarf and the heating on. Yesterday I was sat outside at a cafe in a long sleeve t-shirt in the brilliant sunshine. It's Melbourne - always take your sunnies and a brolly with you.

Yes, that's our house too. A weatherboard house. But we do have central heating, albeit the blown-air underfloor type. I think more modern houses are a different experience completely

Edited by Suzukiscottie

Well fix it then. Our first house in the UK lacked all that and we fixed it. Same here .......... you can put in double glazing and central heating.

Well fix it then. Our first house in the UK lacked all that and we fixed it. Same here .......... you can put in double glazing and central heating.

I'm sure my landlord would love it if we installed double glazing and central heating but why should I pay to improve his asset? None of the houses we've lived in here have had any of the things I mentioned - just thought the OP should be aware that whilst 16 degrees and sunny sounds delightful, if you're in a typical house it might not be as nice as it sounds. Only trying to be helpful.

Yes, that's our house too. A weatherboard house. But we do have central heating, albeit the blown-air underfloor type. I think more modern houses are a different experience completely

I wish more modern houses were better - we're in a 7 year old townhouse and whilst not as cold as the weatherboard we used to live in, it's still pretty darn cold :-/ Sooo glad when we move into our own house at the end of the month - I will be doubling the roof insulation and installing cellular blinds asap!

V jealous of your underfloor heating today x

I don't think you can generalise about a typical house in Melbourne.

You can talk about your house or houses you have lived in.

My house has good insulation.

It is cold today and unfortunately no sun around.

A day like yesterday is not too bad in winter for me as the sun warms the house up to a reasonable temperature during the day.

I try to just put the heating on early morning and evening only - ie heating off between 9am and 6pm.

I can't always do it but if I know it will be sunny then I can.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think you can generalise about a typical house in Melbourne.

You can talk about your house or houses you have lived in.

Of course you can generalise. And it is quite true that houses in Melbourne and wider Australia have poor insulation and, in many cases, have been built in a way that defies retro-fitting of insulation. Did you miss the whole pink batts thing?