Can you get a permanent residency in Australia if you have enough money to buy a house outright

Lorna Helena Belle

I am 22 years old and have inherited half of the proceeds of my family home which has been sold. I have a degree in Textiles design but this isn't a skill that is listed on the skills list so do not think that it would be taken into consideration. I was wondering if there is any way for my to get permanent residency. I have enough money to buy a house outright there from the housing websites I have been looking at properties on. I have been to Australia once before and I loved it! Any body got any advice on how they would go about it? It is overly complex and it is confusing me...

Currently the only PR visa that you can "pay" for as such is the investment visa - and you need 5 miliion Australian to invest (plus the money you need to migrate and live).

Buying a house is not something that will give you any leeway to migrate - since you can buy houses in some rural places for less than the cost of a car...that is not an indicator for anything.

Why would the fact that you can buy a house give you a visa? It maybe possible to get a visa through having substantial funds, I don't know, but why because you can buy a house. Why not, I can afford to buy a boat, or a car or a whatever?

I'd be very careful about putting info on the internet that you have substantial funds and are looking to use them to get into Australia, there are some very clever and manipulating people out there who will promise you the world and leave you with nothing!

I think your best move would be to get in touch with a MARA register migration agent who can give you the low down on your chances. At 22 you should be able to get a WHV if you haven't already had one, that could potentially give you 2 years in Oz.

I'd be very careful about putting info on the internet that you have substantial funds and are looking to use them to get into Australia, there are some very clever and manipulating people out there who will promise you the world and leave you with nothing!

Agreed - and especially consider asking Admin here to change your user name and change your social media settings to private. Two clicks and I know your full name, where you live, what you look like, where you have been on holiday and where you studied. Put that together with knowing your financial circumstances and your ambitions from your post here, and you are making yourself very vulnerable.

Agreed - and especially consider asking Admin here to change your user name and change your social media settings to private. Two clicks and I know your full name, where you live, what you look like, where you have been on holiday and where you studied. Put that together with knowing your financial circumstances and your ambitions from your post here, and you are making yourself very vulnerable.

I know people can do this but I have absolutely no idea how lol

Why would the fact that you can buy a house give you a visa? It maybe possible to get a visa through having substantial funds, I don't know, but why because you can buy a house. Why not, I can afford to buy a boat, or a car or a whatever?

There are countries in Europe that do this so it's not ridiculous for someone from that part of the world - as the OP is - to think it might be possible.

Then you have these kind of articles kicking about:

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/citizenship-for-sale-government-explores-pricebased-immigration-system-20150503-1myvwk.html

OP - you could possibly look into becomming a teacher of textiles design with some addiitonal study if moving to Australia is something you are keen to do. Can't promise teaching jobs would remain on the SOL/CSOL lists though...

Best of luck :)

For OP, it would also be good to be aware (just in case OP is planning on coming to Australia on a temporary visa and buying a property here) that non-residents and temporary residents of Australia must obtain approval from the government's Foreign Investment Review Board before purchasing a property, and there are restrictions as to the type of property that can be purchased. http://www.firb.gov.au/content/real_estate/real_estate.asp.

I didn't come on here to be ridiculed thankyou very much....

I was told this was a good place to find about about these things and I asked the question because I didn't know.

Thank goodness somebody understands why I wondered if it was possible. I asked on here to find out whether it was, as I've been getting confused looking at Visa requirements!

I will look into that, thankyou :)

Edited by Lorna Helena Belle

Hi Lorna, I don't think that anyone is intending to ridicule you here. Many people on this forum have extensive experience of the immigration system and how difficult it is to get anything other than a holiday visa for Australia nowadays; they are just pointing this out to you so that you don't have unrealistic expectations.

The suggestion that you go out on a Working Holiday Visa is a good one. You can gain feel for the country and maybe get an idea as to whether you may be able to to gain the necessary skills required to get some other kind of longer-term visa at a later date.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. At the age of 22 without massive student debt, the world is your oyster :smile:

As has already been said... Money alone ... No.

However (I don't know the process) but perhaps you could get a student visa in Aus to study for a qualification that will help you to meet the requirements for a permanent visa?

It's not a direct route, and it's probably an expensive one. But it's an option (I think)

I was told this was a good place to find about about these things and I asked the question because I didn't know.

Thank goodness somebody understands why I wondered if it was possible. I asked on here to find out whether it was, as I've been getting confused looking at Visa requirements!

I will look into that, thankyou :)

Have you thought about enrolling as a foreign student in a field on the required list. This will cost with fees, but could buy you a way in.

Edited by calNgary
removed personal coments

As has already been said... Money alone ... No.

However (I don't know the process) but perhaps you could get a student visa in Aus to study for a qualification that will help you to meet the requirements for a permanent visa?

It's not a direct route, and it's probably an expensive one. But it's an option (I think)

Snap!