Public Transport in Hobart: Far from natural?

Indianinoz

I have read a lot about Tasmania and as I understand it is known for its natural beauty. It in fact is promoted as the most 'Natural and Conserved' state of Australia. However, having simply Metro Air conditioned buses doesn't go well with the culture, does it? Some suggestions regarding public transport:

1) Instead of Air conditioned buses, they should have open air buses(it doesn't get scorching hot in Hobart even in summers, correct?)

2) Have open air trains(both locally in Hobart and within the state to travel to national parks, other cities like Launceston, Burnie, Devonport etc.)/trams to give public an additional travel option within the city which should further reduce traffic.

3) Replace short distance taxis with cycle rickshaws(as is in the case in a few Indian towns and Nepal) which will reduce pollution

What do you think?

It does rain a lot in some areas of Tasmania....

Yes but we can still have vehicles open air with a roof. That is what we have in Mumbai(most buses and trains are not air-conditioned but with a roof). It rains about 6 times in Mumbai than in Hobart/Tasmania I guess.

I have read a lot about Tasmania and as I understand it is known for its natural beauty. It in fact is promoted as the most 'Natural and Conserved' state of Australia. However, having simply Metro Air conditioned buses doesn't go well with the culture, does it? Some suggestions regarding public transport:

1) Instead of Air conditioned buses, they should have open air buses(it doesn't get scorching hot in Hobart even in summers, correct?)

2) Have open air trains(both locally in Hobart and within the state to travel to national parks, other cities like Launceston, Burnie, Devonport etc.)/trams to give public an additional travel option within the city which should further reduce traffic.

3) Replace short distance taxis with cycle rickshaws(as is in the case in a few Indian towns and Nepal) which will reduce pollution

What do you think?

I think one should have visited a city and know it very well before trying to become a public transport expert for it.

1) It is too cold and windy to have open air buses. It also rains in Hobart. No one would use them. Bus passengers want more - not less - comfortable buses.

2) The same for trains. Passenger trains, trams and trolley buses have existed in Tasmania in the past. They were replaced by buses because they were not economic in a state with a small population.

3) Hobart is very hilly. It is the Australian city LEAST suitable for cycle rickshaws.

I think one should have visited a city and know it very well before trying to become a public transport expert for it.

1) It is too cold and windy to have open air buses. It also rains in Hobart. No one would use them. Bus passengers want more - not less - comfortable buses.

2) The same for trains. Passenger trains, trams and trolley buses have existed in Tasmania in the past. They were replaced by buses because they were not economic in a state with a small population.

3) Hobart is very hilly. It is the Australian city LEAST suitable for cycle rickshaws.

Dear Skani,

I was just putting forth my ideas and not trying to become a Public Transport Expert. I'm smitten by Tasmania's beauty(without even visiting it) and was thinking of ways to improve them further. That is it. Please don't get offended! :)

Yes but we can still have vehicles open air with a roof. That is what we have in Mumbai(most buses and trains are not air-conditioned but with a roof). It rains about 6 times in Mumbai than in Hobart/Tasmania I guess.

Hobart/Tasmania doesn't have the heavy tropical rainfall of Mumbai. It rains more lightly ....but frequently. Rain in cooler climates also makes you cold....it is quite different from rain in hot climates.

To add to the discomfort of an open air bus in cooler climates is the wind: it gives you a wind chill factor - where the temperature actually feels colder than the thermometer temperature. Add to this the additional air movement created by a moving vehicle....and you have a recipe for hypothermia (which is why motorcyclists dress so warmly in cool climates).

• Like 1

Please don't get offended! :)

I'm not offended - just bemused.

I should clarify that "air conditioned buses" means buses with heating. Just like cars here have heaters. The air conditioning can also be used for cooling - but that would be very rare compared with the heating requirement.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

In Tasmania it doesn't rain very much expressed as total annual precipitation.

It rains little and often. Usually just enough to ruin your day - just like England and with temperatures to match.

It is also spectacularly windy, I believe several of the buses have been in danger of having their top levels removed by natural forces only this week - so we may get the opportunity to test your zany theory...

• 3 weeks later...

No. There has been some talk in past years about introducing trams for a limited "tourist" route around popular tourist locations but nothing ever happened. It's one of those subjects which appears from time to time.

• 2 weeks later...