Local food in Tasmania, what grows?

Indianinoz

You would not be allowed to keep a cow in any of those towns/cities.

Oh ok that is sad! Is the situation the same for other animals such as a goat/horse/buffalo also? I plan to keep a horse to travel within the city, is this not possible?

Also, what is the situation in New Zealand if you have any idea?

Oh ok that is sad! Is the situation the same for other animals such as a goat/horse/buffalo also? I plan to keep a horse to travel within the city, is this not possible?

Also, what is the situation in New Zealand if you have any idea?

Each local Council has regulations about keeping livestock in its area. The Hobart City Council has to grant a permit for any livestock - apart from chickens, for which there are designated rules. All the animals you mention above require much more land area than you will have in a normal city house. You would need to be living on the edge of the city on several acres to accommodate these.

You won't be travelling by horse in the city. It would be totally freaked out, and very unsafe, in city traffic. It's been 60 or 70 years since horses were used (for delivery carts) in Hobart. The traffic (and population) then was much, much less.

I would imagine rules in New Zealand would be fairly similar, but don't know exactly.

Also, what about fruits, vegetables, meat and other stuffs? Does the Aussie Government allow us to have at least those in its pure form?

Yes. But be aware that any fresh fruit/vegetables imported from overseas are sprayed for quarantine purposes when they are imported into Australia, and fresh fruit/vegetables imported from mainland Australia into Tasmania are also sprayed for quarantine purposes. That's not a problem if you eat only locally produced food.

• Like 1

You won't be travelling by horse in the city. It would be totally freaked out, and very unsafe, in city traffic. It's been 60 or 70 years since horses were used (for delivery carts) in Hobart. The traffic (and population) then was much, much less.

Ok thanks! Just wondering(though completely off topic). Can I take a horse to a National Park and then return it to the owner? In other words, are there restrictions of vehicles in national parks? Also, are there are areas in national park that we're not allowed to venture? Or can we roam around just anywhere provided we have paid for the ticket?

i understand what you guys are thinking. But its a nature lover overestimating the already natural Tasmania to heights of imagination. I apologize if I've been too weird but thank you all who have helped me what to expect from Hobart. I sincerely apologize for being too crazy at times.

Can I take a horse to a National Park and then return it to the owner? In other words, are there restrictions of vehicles in national parks? Also, are there are areas in national park that we're not allowed to venture? Or can we roam around just anywhere provided we have paid for the ticket?

No, horses and other animals, including dogs, are not allowed in National Parks.

Also, you cannot "rent" a horse and take it anywhere like a rental car. There are riding schools and trail riding activities - but you are restricted to a certain area and under the direct supervision of the horses' owners.

You can venture anywhere in a national park but all cars must stay on roads - you can't go cross country in a 4 wheel drive, for example - and, in some areas, you have to keep to board walks especially constructed along the tracks.

• Like 1

I just thought to add: for your own safety you should not wander off the constructed and signposted tracks in national parks. It is very easy to get lost and into difficulties if you don't know the country and the conditions (weather can change very quickly in Tasmania).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
What about the local indigenous native Tasmania cuisine and dishes? What do they include?

Do you mean Tasmanian aboriginal food? There is no "cuisine" in the way we use the word. They harvested whatever was available locally - shellfish, birds, wallabies, berries from native plants etc. and either ate them raw or cooked over an open fire.

You would not be allowed to keep a cow in any of those towns/cities.

I see cows in the suburbs while riding the bicycle paths in Brisbane. Obviously not on a standard residential block but some small farmers still have them. On a path around 10km from the city centre one place has 10+ cows...

Do you mean Tasmanian aboriginal food? There is no "cuisine" in the way we use the word. They harvested whatever was available locally - shellfish, birds, wallabies, berries from native plants etc. and either ate them raw or cooked over an open fire.

If what the aborigines ate that was so so much in raw form, then we can move towards what were dishes made by civilized people who came to Tasmania in the 18th and 19th centuries and made the dishes from indigenous products only. Any famous dishes?

what were dishes made by civilized people who came to Tasmania in the 18th and 19th centuries and made the dishes from indigenous products only. Any famous dishes?

None that I can think of. The white European settlers brought livestock and edible crops from their homelands to recreate the cuisine from their home countries.