15 days in Tasmania: How to spend?

Indianinoz

Dear all,

Me and wife plan to come to Tasmania for about 15 days(around 15th June to 28th June). Our purpose is both to check out the country and Tasmania especially since we plan to migrate there. But we also want to have a nice holiday. We're planning to migrate to Hobart(so say we would like to spend 7-8 days) but also would like to have a look at Launceston(say spend 2-3 days).

The rest 4-5 days we would like to spend in National Parks. Do they have decent food/accomodation in or around nay of the national parks? Which is the best National Park? I have heard Franklin Gordin is one of the best and luckily it is somewhat in between(well not exactly) Launceston and Hobart. Should we book beforehand or is it ok to book when we go?

Also, what are the modes of transport available from Lauceston to Hobart and vice versa? What are the modes of transport available from Lauceston to these national parks and from these national parks to Hobart?

what are the modes of transport available from Lauceston to Hobart and vice versa? What are the modes of transport available from Lauceston to these national parks and from these national parks to Hobart?

There aren't any. Hire a car for the duration of your visit because you'll need one - public transport in Tasmania isn't great. However, everything is so close that you can get everywhere by car very easily.

We spent a week in Hobart and I think 7-8 days is about right to check out the real estate thoroughly and get to know the areas.

Hobart ---> Port Arthur ---> Tasmanian Devil Sanctuary ---> Hobart -----> Swansea ----> Freycinet National Park ----> Launceston -----> Cradle Mountain -----> Tamar Valley Done!

You need to hire a car and bring warm clothes.

I found the west coast really interesting, some mining towns that 100 years ago were thriving with populations of 30,000 now have a couple of hundred and littered with abandoned theatres, hotels, and railway stations. We also stumbled across the Henty Dunes which were a real treat and one of the most amazing things I've seen.

The rest 4-5 days we would like to spend in National Parks. Do they have decent food/accomodation in or around nay of the national parks? Which is the best National Park? I have heard Franklin Gordin is one of the best and luckily it is somewhat in between(well not exactly) Launceston and Hobart. Should we book beforehand or is it ok to book when we go?

The Franklin and Gordon are 2 rivers in the West Coast Wilderness area. There is no accommodation there apart from the fishing village of Strahan - from which you can take a boat trip up the Gordon River. (There are no roads there apart from the one into Strahan).

The best National Park with food and accommodation for a first time visitor is Cradle Mountain. It's the quietest part of the tourist year so you would probably be ok booking late.

Also, what are the modes of transport available from Lauceston to Hobart and vice versa?

Only bus or self drive in a hire car. (There are no passenger trains in Tasmania apart from the Wilderness Railway which travels from Queenstown to Strahan and return but I am not sure if that will be operating midwinter).

What are the modes of transport available from Lauceston to these national parks and from these national parks to Hobart?

The only public transport I know of is from Launceston to Cradle Mountain.

http://www.mcdermotts.com.au/cradle_mountain.htm

But you might find information for other destinations here:

http://www.discovertasmania.com.au/travel-information/getting-around/bus-and-coach

Remember that mid June is midwinter here - so the shortest daylight hours. Sunset is 4.40 pm and sunrise 7.45 am....so that may determine some of your travel plans.

And even if you don't encounter snow, it may be very cold and frosty....so have warm clothes.

@Skani: Cradle mountains sound interesting too. So its a 3 hours drive from Launceston. Great! Now our trip is very budget constrained. Which is the cheapest way to visit Cradle Mountains and stay for 2 days? And how much should it be approximately? I understand there will be many costs like travel from Lauceston/Hobart to that park, national park entry fees, food, accommodation, rafting and other activities, travel back to Lauceston/Hobart etc. But how much should it be?

Which is the cheapest way to visit Cradle Mountains and stay for 2 days? And how much should it be approximately? I understand there will be many costs like travel from Lauceston/Hobart to that park, national park entry fees, food, accommodation, rafting and other activities, travel back to Lauceston/Hobart etc. But how much should it be?

I have no idea. It's many, many years since I visited.

That bus web link I gave you says it is $55 one way (per person) for the bus fare from Launceston to Cradle.

Entry fees are here:

http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=914

Accommodation details can be found here: put "Cradle Mountain" in the "Town" box -

http://www.discovertasmania.com.au/where-to-stay/search-all-accommodation.

• Like 1

Also, if we hire a car how much should that be? And is it possible that we take the vehicle from Hobart but give it away back at Launceston rather than Hobart again?

Yes, you can return a car to a different place. But I have no idea about costs as it is decades since I have hired a car.

The car hire companies are listed here: if they don't show prices on their websites you can contact them for details.

http://www.discovertasmania.com.au/travel-information/getting-around/car

• Like 1

@Skani: Cradle mountains sound interesting too. So its a 3 hours drive from Launceston. Great! Now our trip is very budget constrained. Which is the cheapest way to visit Cradle Mountains and stay for 2 days? And how much should it be approximately? I understand there will be many costs like travel from Lauceston/Hobart to that park, national park entry fees, food, accommodation, rafting and other activities, travel back to Lauceston/Hobart etc. But how much should it be?

You will find all the answers to your questions by doing some simple searches on Google.

• 2 weeks later...
Dear all,

Me and wife plan to come to Tasmania for about 15 days(around 15th June to 28th June).

I thought I should mention that there is a mid winter festival (called Dark MOFO) in Hobart from 12 - 22nd June. If you are planning to be in Hobart during that time it would be adviseable to book ahead as the festival attracts many visitors from elsewhere.

• Like 1

3rd - 12th July will also be very busy in Hobart as there is an annual Festival of Voices with thousands of singers and choir members arriving from interstate and overseas. Apart from that, it should be very quiet until the tourist season starts again around September - October.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

There is a facinating sea horse breeding center in Burnie which is up north of Tassie, you can stop off at the chocolate factory on your way back. Winter is COLD sometimes gets snow in parts, not huge amounts but still enough to look pretty and freeze your butt off. Salamanca markets in Hobart are a must see, also a little town called Richmond just out of Hobart. Check out http://www.tripadvisor.com.au you will find it very useful with heaps of info on accomadation, attractions, resturants and coffee shops.

• Like 1

There is a facinating sea horse breeding center ........... Winter is COLD sometimes gets snow in parts, not huge amounts but still enough to look pretty and freeze your butt off.

We had snow today. Snowed at my place all morning but didn't settle. With the wind chill factor it was -16 C on top of the mountain....apparently.

1219939548@1430955256.jpg

This is the website for the seahorses. It's about 50 minutes north of Launceston in the Tamar Valley.

http://www.seahorseworld.com.au/

• Like 1