Moving to Tasmania: Hobart or Launceston?

Indianinoz

Hello,

We plan to move to Tasmania. As we can see, there are only 2 major cities, Hobart and Launceston. Hobart is huge(about 15 times the size of Launceston) but only twice as populated as Launceston which means Launceston is densely populated.

Now, which of the 2 cities would you recommend us? Of course, Hobart is the capital and if at all we can find a job in Tasmania it has to be Hobart. However, should we consider Launceston as well? Our main concern in Tasmania is getting a job. How is the job market in Launceston?

I'm a Chartered Accountant and my wife is a computer Engineer.

Hobart's not huge! It's a lovely small city though more spread out than Launceston. I prefer Hobart to Launceston but that's probably because I like to be nearer the ocean. Did you say you and your wife are coming on holiday? If you are, you will be able to judge for yourselves and also get an idea of the job situation.

Neither of the 2 cities is densely populated at all. The land area of the Greater Hobart area includes large areas of bushland (including the eastern slopes of Mount Wellington) which are not inhabited at all.

Because of the constraints imposed by the topography - a large harbour and river in between mountains and hills - building development is in a long narrow strip either side of the harbour/river.

Launceston doesn't have these constraints and is just a much more compact shape - without large areas of uninhabited bushland.

I would consider any place you can get a job: your chances are higher in Hobart, given it has twice the population of Launceston, but neither place is guaranteed for employment.

Edited by Skani

Just a quick word on the other cities: Should we even consider other smaller cities like Davenport/Burnie etc.? Since the population is not even 25000 in each of the cities we've given up on them. What do you think? Or do you think that being a small city they do not have others migrating to it despite there is good job potential? Our main concern is to find a job.

I would consider any place you can get a job: your chances are higher in Hobart, given it has twice the population of Launceston, but neither place is guaranteed for employment.

I understand that it is difficult to find a job in either place. However, do you think we could think of getting a part time job as soon as we land(say within a couple of weeks) for at least one of us which would pay like $1500 per month(say 4 hours * 5 working days * 4 weeks = 80 hours *$20 per hour?) which would at least cover our rent and groceries if not other expenses?

A part time job as we soon land would be required otherwise it will be so difficult to survive. I understand a proper full time job might take time. We both are qualified and we are ready to even work below our level(say as waitors, managers etc.)

Just a quick word on the other cities: Should we even consider other smaller cities like Davenport/Burnie etc.? Since the population is not even 25000 in each of the cities we've given up on them. What do you think? Or do you think that being a small city they do not have others migrating to it despite there is good job potential? Our main concern is to find a job.

I don't think you should be worrying about which city or town to settle in right now. Get your visa, get to Hobart and then start looking for jobs. Hobart is your best chance of getting temporary employment, and if you buy a car, it's not hard to get to other parts of Tasmania for job interviews.

Just a quick word on the other cities: Should we even consider other smaller cities like Davenport/Burnie etc.?

Employment in these towns is less likely than even elsewhere in Tasmania. However you would become aware of any appropriate vacancies by including them in the parameters of your online searches.

However, do you think we could think of getting a part time job as soon as we land

I have often seen comments on this forum that you should be financially prepared for several months unemployment after you arrive - and I would certainly recommend that. There is usually much competition for part time work so I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to walk into a job on arrival.

• Like 1