Snow in Tasmania? Which parts and when?

Indianinoz

Hello,

We're planning a 10 day trip to Hobart either in April, May or June. When does it snow in Tasmania? And which would be nearest place to go to witness snow from Hobart? I guess Mount Wellington? If we come on 25th April and leave on 5th May, will we be able to witness snow clad mountains?

Also, are there other regions apart from Tasmania where it snows in Australia?

Tasmanian weather is always changeable and unpredictable so it is impossible to say whether there will be snow at a particular time. July and August are generally the most reliable for snow but it can happen in any month - including midsummer in the mountains. Mount Wellington is definitely the nearest snow location to Hobart.

Other "snow regions" in Australia are the Snowy Mountains (near Canberra) and the mountain country north east of Melbourne (Mount Buller, Mt. Hotham, Falls Creek etc.) But again it's impossible to say when snow will start falling there.

Skani would be able to answer your query but yes, I think Mount Wellington gets snow but not sure about April/May. Mount Roland which is fairly near us had a coating of snow last week but it disappeared after a few hours. Probably June/July would be the months for snow here in Tasmania.

• 3 months later...

Totally off topic but just wanted to check if there is the problem of mosquitoes in Hobart(or full of Tasmania)? I personally think temperate regions are less prone to mosquitoes than the tropical regions and hence Hobart seems to be a good bet, am I correct?

I encounter them sometimes when I'm out watering the garden in the evening in summer and get the occasional mozzy bite. I think they are most likely around ponds and dams - anywhere there is stagnant water - but nothing like the problem they can be on the mainland.