Shifting base to Hobart from India

Indianinoz

Hello,

We’re a recently married couple and looking to migrate to Australia. Since I’m a nature lover and my wife is allergic to sun, Tasmania(Hobart in particular) looks appealing to both of us. Will we be able to find a job in Hobart though? I’m a Chartered Accountant(5 years of experience + 3 years of internship) from India and she is a Computer Engineer(fresher, qualified just last year) from India.

Also, is it easy to find PGs and cheap homes for rent in Hobart considering it is a small city with less options? Where can I find a PG? I didn’t find PGs in LJ Hooker!

Hello,

We’re a recently married couple and looking to migrate to Australia. Since I’m a nature lover and my wife is allergic to sun, Tasmania(Hobart in particular) looks appealing to both of us. Will we be able to find a job in Hobart though? I’m a Chartered Accountant(5 years of experience + 3 years of internship) from India and she is a Computer Engineer(fresher, qualified just last year) from India.

Because of its small population (Hobart = approx 200,000), employment is generally a problem.

First priority, though - have either of you been granted a visa to work in Australia? This is your first hurdle.

Also, is it easy to find PGs and cheap homes for rent in Hobart considering it is a small city with less options? Where can I find a PG? I didn’t find PGs in LJ Hooker!

There is no Paying Guest category used by rental agencies in Australia. The closest would be private advertisements for "House share" in newspapers or on the Gumtree website. However, the target audience for these is normally young single people.

Rentals may be less expensive than in other Australian cities...but I wouldn't classify them as cheap. You can gain an idea of what is available by looking at the two main real estate websites:

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent

http://www.domain.com.au/home?mode=rent

• 4 months later...
Because of its small population (Hobart = approx 200,000), employment is generally a problem.

First priority, though - have either of you been granted a visa to work in Australia? This is your first hurdle.

We hope to get PR(189 visa) by October or latest November this year and plan to land in Hobart in last week of November of first week of December. I have a few questions relating to job opportunities and work culture:

1) How is the usual work culture in relation to timings in Hobart? What is the standard work time(say 9-6 with an hour's lunch in between)? And how many hours per week?

2) How flexible are organisations in terms of 'work from home' in emergencies? For eg. if I want to visit India for some wedding purpose, can I reasonably expect 'work from home' from my employer for about a week? What if me or my wife is sick? Can I expect to get work from home at least about 1-2 days a month in such a scenario?

3) Is it alight for the employer if an employee takes his/her laptop to the garden in the commercial premises for a couple of hours and work from there instead of sitting in the office to freshen up? Is it alright for offices to open windows and work instead of working in a temperature controlled environment considering Hobart has such a wonderful climate. Or are thesetotally outrageous requests?

I understand it differs from organisation to organisation but what is the standard? And how is the work culture?

Also, I heard from my friend in Melbourne that a part time job like 'Taking dogs/pets of others for evening '(for say 2 hours in the evening) is available. Is such a kind of job available in Hobart too? If yes, what is the approximate pay per hour that one can expect?

1) It varies, but most common is 9 - 5 or 6, with 30 - 60 minutes for lunch. 35 - 40 hours per week depending on the business. Overtime is not uncommon and it may be unpaid overtime

2) You can't expect it at all.

3) Commercial premises don't have gardens. Anyway, you would be expected to be in the office close to phones, clients and colleagues.

Many modern offices don't have opening windows. If they do you would have to negotiate with colleagues. For much of the year it would be too cold, windy and draughty. In many locations it would also be too noisy.

Paid dog walking is not common here. I don't personally know any dog owners or dog walkers involved so can't say how much it pays.

Hello,

I have heard there is very little wireless network and wifi access outside Hobart and Launceston in Tasmania. Is this correct? What about Burnie and Devonport? What about the rest of Tasmania including National Parks? Is mobile phone not accessible?

Seems to be a lot more than that. See coverage map from main provider here: https://www.telstra.com.au/coverage-networks/our-coverage

GSM: http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/maps/mcm/wholesale.html

Edited by fish.01