Noise levels in Artarmon?

mehman

Hi Folks,

I'm thinking of renting in Artarmon, on the west side of the tracks where the highrises are. I'm worried that the trains might make a racket though. Does anyone have any experience living in Artarmon and what the noise levels are like? Especially at night.

Thanks!

M

I've never lived in Artarmon near the train tracks, but I have lived in other suburbs. The thing I didn't expect was the sheer volume of goods trains that run when the passenger trains aren't running. They are enormous, need powerful noisy engines to drive them, and can be heard several streets away. I don't know how many goods trains run on the North Shore line though.

I don't know if I would recommend moving to Artarmon, if you don't like Willoughby. There is no pub in Artarmon is there? Or at least in that strip of shops near the station. I seem to recall another one overlooking the expressway?

If you want to stay in that area, then I would recommend, assuming you can afford it, Crows Nest, Neutral Bay, North Sydney, Kirribilli.

Actually, I quite liked Artarmon. Its leafy, 20 minutes into the city, 20 minutes to the North Sydney Olympic pool (being close to a pool is super important to me). I checked out a number of houses in Cremorne, Neutral Bay and Crows Nest and sad to say the noise levels are pretty high in some of those areas. Also for what I can afford, the houses are way too small.

I happened to see a link somewhere which says freight trains headed north usually take the Strathfield -> Epping route, so we should be sorted on that front !

Yeah, I was having a horrid time viewing apartments, and then I saw this one and I had an 'aha' moment. Well comparatively speaking it is better. Not the best, but its OK. I've been wondering for a while why a lot of these apartments/houses have not been upgraded at all. The property market is so hot, that landlords have no incentive to spruce up their lettings. They know that anything and everything gets rented so why bother. Shame really, but hey, thats the price for living in a big metro. I'm just stoked that I'm only 15-20 minutes away from the North Sydney Pool.

http://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/Odi15M7AKWaCZU6qm_yX1g/l.jpg

Hi, we have been living in Artarmon on Milner Road for the last year and I am looking forward to getting out. There is so much traffic and we get some sort of industrial noise at 5 in the morning...I think it comes from the other side of the M1 and it seems to really echo in here. i can't say I will miss Artarmon when we leave it this week for a quieter suburb...not really sure why Artarmon would seem better than Willoughby, I don't love it here at all, noisy and busy. Artarmon town centre (Hampden Rd) also is a bit shabby and there are some low income subsidised housing here that makes it feel less safe...sorry, probably not what you want to hear.

It's always been a bit like that Mehman. When we first came to Sydney I was fed up of looking at rundown, grubby flats. The one we ended up renting in Crows Nest looked fresh and clean as it had been newly painted. However, the paint application was covering up a huge mould problem. It was truly disgusting! Our shoes and anything else made of leather were covered in mould. We were there for 6 months until we bought our own house. Mould is a real problem in some flats/houses wherever you get humidity.

Hi, we have been living in Artarmon on Milner Road for the last year and I am looking forward to getting out. There is so much traffic and we get some sort of industrial noise at 5 in the morning...I think it comes from the other side of the M1 and it seems to really echo in here. i can't say I will miss Artarmon when we leave it this week for a quieter suburb...not really sure why Artarmon would seem better than Willoughby, I don't love it here at all, noisy and busy. Artarmon town centre (Hampden Rd) also is a bit shabby and there are some low income subsidised housing here that makes it feel less safe...sorry, probably not what you want to hear.

Hello,

Sorry to hear that! It seems you are right at the edge of the M1/M2 and the Industrial area ! I'm looking at Francis Road. When I checked out the apartment it seemed quiet enough...now I'm worried again bah !

The thing is with regular noise you will probably get used to it; I used to live with a rail line at the end of my garden (our southern boundary was the embankment) and I never noticed the noise of the train, never woke me, nothing, though people who came around used to remark on it. Same way I moved to a unit directly under the flight path to the airport and the plane noise never bothered me after the first couple of weeks.

Funnily though, recently stayed in a hotel next to Roma St station, and though I was on the 17th floor with double glazing the freight trains kept me awake at night, I simply hadn't had that particular noise for a while and had grown used to being without it.

Have a friend who lives in Burra Rd, near the train line, can't hear a thing in their house, never noticed the trains. It's a nice area and there is the Freeway pubs and the Great Northern nearby. Neither of them are great, but then none of the pubs on the North Shore are.

Have a friend who lives in Burra Rd, near the train line, can't hear a thing in their house, never noticed the trains. It's a nice area and there is the Freeway pubs and the Great Northern nearby. Neither of them are great, but then none of the pubs on the North Shore are.

Theres a thicket of trees between the station and Burra Road, that probably helps as a natural sound barrier :-). Good to know, thanks for sharing.

My partner's brother used to live on Hampden Road, on the right up the hill towards Chatswood. Now that *was* noisy! But I've stayed with other relatives off McMillan Road and not heard a thing. But that was on the second floor, so not up one of the taller blocks.

I'd happily live there, as I'd want to be close to a rail station, and I know the area a little bit. I also like Crows Nest, but then it's less like to be close to train transport.

Edited by vickyplum

Funny but I was thinking "Pool? There is no pool in Artarmon and was going to ask where?!" We have nice new pool in Prince Alfred Park near to Central, so stay on train 3 more stops from Atarmon and check it out. I don't like pools but was intending to do stroke correction class there. I don't know about goods train movements but do they go on N Shore Line? I thought they wd go via Strathfield if going north out of Sydney???

Actually, I quite liked Artarmon. Its leafy, 20 minutes into the city, 20 minutes to the North Sydney Olympic pool (being close to a pool is super important to me).

Yes, but you've been complaining that Sydney is "beige" and that's because you're determined to stay in a quiet, leafy suburb and presumably, get your social life in the city, which is actually pretty quiet. That's not how Sydney (or most Australian cities) work. The buzz is in the suburbs - the key is knowing which suburbs.

As MichaelP says, none of the pubs on the North Shore (or the city) are much good.

Check out Drummoyne Pool.

Edited by Marisawright

Yes, but you've been complaining that Sydney is "beige" and that's because you're determined to stay in a quiet, leafy suburb and presumably, get your social life in the city, which is actually pretty quiet. That's not how Sydney (or most Australian cities) work. The buzz is in the suburbs - the key is knowing which suburbs.

As MichaelP says, none of the pubs on the North Shore (or the city) are much good.

Check out Drummoyne Pool.

You keep attributing the 'beige' quote to me, I NEVER said that. I never said it was beige. I said I disliked the place. Show me where I said 'beige', its getting a bit irritating now.