Any advice appreciated on Sans Souci area

Belle1

Hi all, after alot of faffing about!! We are transferring from Christchurch NZ to Sydney (which we are very excited about!!!). We have looked at lots of different suburbs but are now focusing on Sans Souci/ Ramsgate/Monterey/Brighton-Le-Sands area.

We will rent initially and those areas seem to fit in our budget, plus primary schools look good. (we have a son who will be in school)

Is there anyone that lives in this area who could give us some realistic info on what they think of:

commute to CBD (vis bus & train)

primary schools?

any areas to avoid?

how bad is airport noise? (my husband is concerned about this!!)

the social life in this area (we will be keen to get out and about meeting other families and building a social life, having emigrated before, we are aware of how important integration to local community is!!)

Much appreciated!!!

Is there anyone that lives in this area who could give us some realistic info on what they think of:

commute to CBD (vis bus & train)

primary schools?

any areas to avoid?

how bad is airport noise? (my husband is concerned about this!!)

the social life in this area (we will be keen to get out and about meeting other families and building a social life, having emigrated before, we are aware of how important integration to local community is!!)

Commute to the CBD from Sans Souci/Ramsgate etc is not great because there is no train station there. You'll have to drive to a station (and you'll find parking around stations is hotly contested), or take a bus or bus/train combo. The traffic through that area in peak hour is absolutely horrendous so be prepared for the bus to get stuck in traffic.

Airport noise? What airport noise? Although you can see the airport from the Grand Parade, the planes take off in the other direction so they won't bother you. Airport noise starts to be a problem around Rockdale, not further south.

Can't comment on social life for families. The area around Brighton-Le-Sands has a bit of a reputation for hoons at night.

Commute to the CBD from Sans Souci/Ramsgate etc is not great because there is no train station there. You'll have to drive to a station (and you'll find parking around stations is hotly contested), or take a bus or bus/train combo. The traffic through that area in peak hour is absolutely horrendous so be prepared for the bus to get stuck in traffic.

Airport noise? What airport noise? Although you can see the airport from the Grand Parade, the planes take off in the other direction so they won't bother you. Airport noise starts to be a problem around Rockdale, not further south.

Can't comment on social life for families. The area around Brighton-Le-Sands has a bit of a reputation for hoons at night.

Thanks - lol re airport noise. Commute isn't issue we knew it was bus and train, OH will leave stupidly early in morning or go in late to avoid the worst of traffic.

I've always than Sans Souci, and the other suburbs you mention, are pleasant enough. There is no direct train service so commuting to the CBD or anywhere else will be by bus or bus/train, about 3/4 hour to Central from Sans Souci, and add on a few more minutes to other stations in the CBD.

You can swim at various places around Botany Bay, although whenever I go there, it always seems to be windy. I don't know about aircraft noise, though the planes seem to take off and land above Botany Bay, so you can see them rather than hear them.

Brighton-Le-Sands has plenty of restaurants, but not very nice to park, and there are a few big clubs around, Ramsgate RSL, Brighton Fisho, Kyeemagh RSL. The main road through Brighton - The Grand Parade I think - is always busy, one of Sydney's big six-lane thoroughfares, but get onto the back streets and I guess it is quiet.

I wouldn't want to live there, though, nothing wrong with it! I just like living closer to the city (in Surry Hills) where I can walk almost everywhere I want to go. Central is ten minutes away from me. I'm sure somebody who actually 'lives' in the area will give you more detailed advice. I may go for a swim there today, now it's in my mind. I just checked my diary and my last swim there was on 23rd January, at Lady Robinson's Beach, Ramsgate Baths. (It was windy, but still nice!)

I've never been to Christchurch, something that I should put right!

[TABLE=class: journeyDetailTable]

[TR=class: mdv_firstline]

[TD=class: journeyTime]07:12[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=class: startAddress]From: Sans Souci[/TD]

[TD=class: icons]on_map.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: mdv_middleLine]

[TD=class: journeyTime][/TD]

[TD=class: motImg]walk.png

[/TD]

[TD=class: lineRow, colspan: 2]Walk (about 3 minutes)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: firstJourney]

[TD=class: journeyTime]07:15[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=class: startAddress]To: Rocky Point Rd near Newcombe St, Sans Souciapprox. 175 m

[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: pictureTableTr4]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=class: pictureTableTd4, colspan: 3]View details for this trip[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: seperationLine]

[TD=colspan: 4]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=class: startAddress]From: Rocky Point Rd near Newcombe St, Sans Souci (Stop 221929)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: motImg]mot5.png

[/TD]

[TD=class: lineRow, colspan: 2] 477

Miranda to Rockdale Station service (operated by State Transit) [/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: journeyTime]07:35[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=class: startAddress]To: Rockdale Station, Geeves Av (Set Down), Rockdale (Stop 221614)[/TD]

[TD]O_17x17.png$3.50

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: infoText]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=class: startAddress mdv_infoText, colspan: 3][TABLE=class: mdv_addInf]

[TR]

[TD=class: mdv_infoIcon]wheelchair-tripplanner.png[/TD]

[TD]Wheelchair accessible service[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: mdv_stopSequens]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=colspan: 3]View stop sequence[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=colspan: 4]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: journeyTime]07:39[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=class: startAddress]From: Rockdale Station Platform 2, Rockdale[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: motImg]mot1.png

[/TD]

[TD=class: lineRow, colspan: 2] T4 Eastern Suburbs & Illawarra Line

Waterfall or Cronulla to Bondi Junction service[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: journeyTime]07:59[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=class: startAddress]To: Central Station Platform 24, Sydney[/TD]

[TD]O_17x17.png$4.20

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: mdv_ics_msg]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD=class: startAddress mdv_icsText, colspan: 3][TABLE=class: mdv_addInf mdv_msgPrio_low_box]

[TR]

[TD=class: mdv_infoIcon]ics.png[/TD]

[TD=class: mdv_infoTxt]Central escalator outage between platforms 24/25 and concourse[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TR]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I've always than Sans Souci, and the other suburbs you mention, are pleasant enough. There is no direct train service so commuting to the CBD or anywhere else will be by bus or bus/train, about 3/4 hour to Central from Sans Souci, and add on a few more minutes to other stations in the CBD.

You can swim at various places around Botany Bay, although whenever I go there, it always seems to be windy. I don't know about aircraft noise, though the planes seem to take off and land above Botany Bay, so you can see them rather than hear them.

Brighton-Le-Sands has plenty of restaurants, but not very nice to park, and there are a few big clubs around, Ramsgate RSL, Brighton Fisho, Kyeemagh RSL. The main road through Brighton - The Grand Parade I think - is always busy, one of Sydney's big six-lane thoroughfares, but get onto the back streets and I guess it is quiet.

I wouldn't want to live there, though, nothing wrong with it! I just like living closer to the city (in Surry Hills) where I can walk almost everywhere I want to go. Central is ten minutes away from me. I'm sure somebody who actually 'lives' in the area will give you more detailed advice. I may go for a swim there today, now it's in my mind. I just checked my diary and my last swim there was on 23rd January, at Lady Robinson's Beach, Ramsgate Baths. (It was windy, but still nice!)

I've never been to Christchurch, something that I should put right!

[TABLE=class: journeyDetailTable]

[TD=class: journeyTime]07:12[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=class: startAddress]From: Sans Souci[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: motImg]walk.png[/TD]

[TD=class: lineRow, colspan: 2]Walk (about 3 minutes)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=class: startAddress]To: Rocky Point Rd near Newcombe St, Sans Souciapprox. 175 m[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: pictureTableTr4]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=class: pictureTableTd4, colspan: 3]View details for this trip[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=colspan: 4][/TD]

[/TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=class: startAddress]From: Rocky Point Rd near Newcombe St, Sans Souci (Stop 221929)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: motImg]mot5.png[/TD]

[TD=class: lineRow, colspan: 2] 477

Miranda to Rockdale Station service (operated by State Transit)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: journeyTime]07:35[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=class: startAddress]To: Rockdale Station, Geeves Av (Set Down), Rockdale (Stop 221614)[/TD]

[TD]O_17x17.png$3.50[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TR]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=colspan: 4][/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: journeyTime]07:39[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=class: startAddress]From: Rockdale Station Platform 2, Rockdale[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: motImg]mot1.png[/TD]

[TD=class: lineRow, colspan: 2] T4 Eastern Suburbs & Illawarra Line

Waterfall or Cronulla to Bondi Junction service[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: journeyTime]07:59[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=class: startAddress]To: Central Station Platform 24, Sydney[/TD]

[TD]O_17x17.png$4.20[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: mdv_ics_msg]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=class: startAddress mdv_icsText, colspan: 3][TABLE=class: mdv_addInf mdv_msgPrio_low_box]

[TR]

[TD=class: mdv_infoIcon]ics.png[/TD]

[TD=class: mdv_infoTxt]Central escalator outage between platforms 24/25 and concourse[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TR]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Yeah I did look at Surry Hills, but its out of our price range unfortunately. So we looked at a 45 train ride plus bus/car/walk up to an hour commute from CBD(based on our requirements) We are considering some other areas like North Ryde, but ultimately we will need to look at it all when we arrive in April. As I suspect with many people, we thought we had a huge budget - but in fact its prob average for Sydney!! We are trying to find an area where we can buy after the first year (that narrows it down alot once you consider purchase prices!!)

But we are city people and having moved from city life in UK to Christchurch we need to get back in the action!!

Having said that, anyone who hasn't visited South Island as a tourist absolutely should, amazing place to visit and support the re growth of the City post quakes. We have been here for 2 years, had a fantastic time but time for us to move to somewhere more dynamic!

I feel guilty now. 37 yrs since I came to OZ and I've had two weekends in Auckland and that is all I've done in NZ! Actually. Coming from small village in New Forest where Southampton was Big Smoke I often thought Xchurch might have been place for me!?But now I've gone native in Sydney. Almost midnight in Trinity Bar and I must move to 4am closing pubs. In UK I guess most ordinary pubs still close at 11 on Sat?

Take a look at Revesby/Panania area 35 min by train SW of CBD on rail line via airport to Campbelltown. My brother lived there 25 years and is only suburban area I know and like. Facilities are all good and it is nice area and home prices I guesstimate circa $600 to 700 certainly no more than areas u mentioned. And if u are prepared to move west I also like Penrith good value homes fast train to CBD closer to Blue Mts. I work there and like it.

Yeah I did look at Surry Hills, but its out of our price range unfortunately. So we looked at a 45 train ride plus bus/car/walk up to an hour commute from CBD(based on our requirements)

I know I sound like a broken record, but have you looked at Oatley/Mortdale? 40 minutes by train to the city. We used to go down to Sans Souci and Cronulla to the beach all the time from there. Although Mortdale is a small place, all trains stop there so the trains are very frequent.

You could also look at any of the other stations along the line from Oatley to Cronulla. Train trip getting longer, obviously, but they are all small suburbs where you'd have a short walk to the station rather than a bus ride. Gymea is probably the nicest.

we are city people and having moved from city life in UK to Christchurch we need to get back in the action

I just read this section again and yes, you do have to be careful when choosing a suburb because many Sydney suburbs are fairly quiet with no decent restaurants or cafes and often, no pub.

What do you mean by "action"? We liked Oatley because it has a great pub with a big outdoor area, plus a choice of cafes. Gymea has plenty of cafes and a so-so pub. Cronulla has everything - pubs, restaurants, cafes, beach - and there are some good value suburbs back from the beach, but of course the commute is a bit longer, albeit on a good reliable line.

So i can big up Sans Souci because i live there. Airport noise is fine in Sans Souci (I wouldnt live in Brighton Le Sands if you want low noise)

To get in the city you either get the bus which is around 45/50 minutes, or the train from Kogarah which is about 20 minutes and the bus to and from Kogarah is about 10 minutes.

The area itself is lovely, local shops Coles, Superburn within walking distance, great local butcher at Ramsgate shops. Ramsgate has an organic foodies market every saturday which is a great place to pick up for good gluten free / palio food.

The beach is nice, lovely walking along on a night, gets a bit busy on a weekend with west'ies.

Brighton Le Sands is about a 45 minute walk with lots of nice restaurants.

Swimming at the beach in netted off areas or there is a local leisure centre near taren point bridge which has an olympic size pool.

People in the area are friendly, but the house prices are sharply on the rise!

Westgate at Miranda or Hurstville is around a 15 minute drive, Cronulla is around a 20 minute drive and the airport is around 10 minutes drive.

So i can big up Sans Souci because i live there. Airport noise is fine in Sans Souci (I wouldnt live in Brighton Le Sands if you want low noise)

To get in the city you either get the bus which is around 45/50 minutes, or the train from Kogarah which is about 20 minutes and the bus to and from Kogarah is about 10 minutes.

The area itself is lovely, local shops Coles, Superburn within walking distance, great local butcher at Ramsgate shops. Ramsgate has an organic foodies market every saturday which is a great place to pick up for good gluten free / palio food.

The beach is nice, lovely walking along on a night, gets a bit busy on a weekend with west'ies.

Swimming at the beach in netted off areas or there is a local leisure centre near taren point bridge which has an olympic size pool.

Westgate at Miranda or Hurstville is around a 15 minute drive, Cronulla is around a 20 minute drive and the airport is around 10 minutes drive.

It sounds like you are very happy there!? Perhaps you should also say what 'Sans Souci' means!

Sans Souci is a French term meaning "without care", in other terms, "no worries".

'No worries!' I never thought of translating it like that, i.e. into 'Strine!'

@walkerfamily123

sounds pretty nice. Is it good for kids? The school in Blakehurst seems good according to it's ratings and pass rates.

Is there much to do, maybe things like Yoga Classes etc? kids activities or sport? Pubs? (sorry for the 20 questions! ha)

we are moving on the 2nd July, and will either end up loosely around here (Sans Souci, Blakehurst, Oatley) - or maybe Miranda or Frenchs forest area. ((depending where my wife can get a job)

Already posted elsewhere, but I found this map useful... it shows the flight-paths to/from the airport. The shaded area ("20 ANEI") is the noisiest bit.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zKMXRFKrFd7g.kkbkkbIDE2Lo

I've stayed in temporary accommodation in Balmain, Bondi Beach, Rushcutter's Bay, Rozelle, St Peter's and Leichhardt over the past few weeks, and I can tell you it makes a hell of a difference if you're on the flight path, with those last two being the worst.

In Leichhardt you can pretty much see the tread-marks on the plane's tyres as it's coming into land, directly overhead of Balmain Road.

More to the point, it's so loud that you have to pause your conversation and wait for it to go past. They don't fly all night, but I found I was waking up at around 6.10am each morning when the first one was coming in.

There's also detailed data here if you want it: http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/publications/noise-reports/australian-noise-exposure-index-reports/

Needless to say -- if this doesn't bother you, then you will get much better value housing in these areas.

Edited by mungbean

OH likes Sans Souci, he thinks it is a pretty nice area, although you need to get to Rockdale or Kogarah for the train to the city. It wouldn't be for me because I prefer the quiet, which you won't get in that area with the busy roads. Not everyone likes the quiet though, so it might be right up your street!

When you are looking at schools, please bear in mind that unless you are sending your kids to a private school (or maybe Catholic school - don't know because we didn't look), you will most likely need to be in the catchment for the school. Private schools often have wait lists, and Catholic schools often require you to be an active part of the Catholic/Christian community. You need to look at housing and schooling in conjunction to ensure that you get what you would like.

Already posted elsewhere, but I found this map useful... it shows the flight-paths to/from the airport. The shaded area ("20 ANEI") is the noisiest bit.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zKMXRFKrFd7g.kkbkkbIDE2Lo

I've stayed in temporary accommodation in Balmain, Bondi Beach, Rushcutter's Bay, Rozelle, St Peter's and Leichhardt over the past few weeks, and I can tell you it makes a hell of a difference if you're on the flight path, with those last two being the worst.

In Leichhardt you can pretty much see the tread-marks on the plane's tyres as it's coming into land, directly overhead of Balmain Road.

More to the point, it's so loud that you have to pause your conversation and wait for it to go past. They don't fly all night, but I found I was waking up at around 6.10am each morning when the first one was coming in.

There's also detailed data here if you want it: http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/publications/noise-reports/australian-noise-exposure-index-reports/

Needless to say -- if this doesn't bother you, then you will get much better value housing in these areas.

That's a really helpful map - I will definitely bookmark it... we currently live under the Heathrow flight path and I will be happy to leave it. Sat out on the balcony in the summer, it's possible to time the gap between flights - usually 30-45 seconds. But if they are using the other runway it's pretty quiet. But the large plane coming in at 04:30 is always a bit of a disturbance....

I was asking my OH about Sans Souci and Oatley last night and I think they are definitely areas I (not sure about "we") would like to consider. I've only ever driven through/past Sans Souci on the way to the mighty Wollongong and haven't been to Oatley/Mortdale at all, so think I will add that to the list of things do do on arrival.

Yeah, I lived in Fulham for 6 months. 5.30am alarm clock included in the price... :-P

ha, yes. we are on the other side of the river between Wandsworth/Putney Bridges, by the river (which the plans usually fly along!). It's not so bad in winter when the windows/doors are closed most of the time, but summer time was not good!

St Peter's and Leichhardt over the past few weeks, and I can tell you it makes a hell of a difference if you're on the flight path, with those last two being the worst.

...and then there's Sydenham - holy crap!! I went to the IKEA there today and it's literally at the end of the runway.

Doesn't look like there's much residential development around there though, mostly shops and garages.

What do you mean by "action"? We liked Oatley because it has a great pub with a big outdoor area, plus a choice of cafes. Gymea has plenty of cafes and a so-so pub. Cronulla has everything - pubs, restaurants, cafes, beach - and there are some good value suburbs back from the beach, but of course the commute is a bit longer, albeit on a good reliable line.

Ah I mean just city life. We live in the middle of nowhere at the moment. I mean literally!!! Its about 30 mins to an hour from Chch CBD and has nothing. No shop, cafe, swimming pool or anything. We are city people so I just mean being around other people and having facilities!!! We looked at Oatly/Mortdale but my OH is not keen on being further out from city. We think the Sans Souci/ Monterey area is probably about right for us. Although I have been chatting to a friend of a friend in Sydney and she also recommended Gymea.

Ah I mean just city life. We live in the middle of nowhere at the moment. I mean literally!!! Its about 30 mins to an hour from Chch CBD and has nothing. No shop, cafe, swimming pool or anything. We are city people so I just mean being around other people and having facilities!!! We looked at Oatly/Mortdale but my OH is not keen on being further out from city. We think the Sans Souci/ Monterey area is probably about right for us. Although I have been chatting to a friend of a friend in Sydney and she also recommended Gymea.

It takes much longer to get to the city from Sans Souci/Monterey than it does from Oatley, due to the fact that Oatley's on the train line (40 minutes to Town Hall direct, and you'll always get a seat!). They are both about 20km from the city. Maybe your husband is confusing it with Oakley??

I like Gymea, not quite as much of an "English village" feel as Oatley, but it is quite a bit further out.

It takes much longer to get to the city from Sans Souci/Monterey than it does from Oatley, due to the fact that Oatley's on the train line (40 minutes to Town Hall direct, and you'll always get a seat!). They are both about 20km from the city. Maybe your husband is confusing it with Oakley??

I like Gymea, not quite as much of an "English village" feel as Oatley, but it is quite a bit further out.

Humm he might be!!!! I will re investigate Oatley!!

Humm he might be!!!! I will re investigate Oatley!!

If you look on a map, you'll see Oatley and Ramsgate are almost on a level. It takes about 15 minutes to drive from Oatley to Ramsgate Beach (we used to do it all the time, then walk along the waterfront down to Dolls Point and Sans Souci).

A few pics to whet your appetite:

https://www.pinterest.com/mcgrathstgeorge/oatley-concierge/

Parts of Oatley are expensive because they are close to the water (anything near water is expensive in Sydney!). Away from the river it's far more reasonable. Mortdale is very close and generally cheaper, plus ALL trains stop at Mortdale station so trains are a bit more frequent.

This is Oatley pub's courtyard:

Oatley Hotel 3.jpg

Oatley Hotel 3.jpg

Edited by Marisawright

If you look on a map, you'll see Oatley and Ramsgate are almost on a level. It takes about 15 minutes to drive from Oatley to Ramsgate Beach (we used to do it all the time, then walk along the waterfront down to Dolls Point and Sans Souci).

A few pics to whet your appetite:

https://www.pinterest.com/mcgrathstgeorge/oatley-concierge/

Parts of Oatley are expensive because they are close to the water (anything near water is expensive in Sydney!). Away from the river it's far more reasonable. Mortdale is very close and generally cheaper, plus ALL trains stop at Mortdale station so trains are a bit more frequent.

This is Oatley pub's courtyard:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29136[/ATTACH]

Thanks for that! Brilliant, really appreciated and Oatley def worth a good look.