Kiwi living in Aus wanting to move "home" to the UK

kiwiathome

Hello everyone.

Like many of the others posted on this forum, just wondering what returning to the UK is like after years on this side of the ditch?

I left for the UK with my new husband at age 28, Dublin then Hertfordshire. 6 happy years. Then returned to NZ due to the "guilt gland"

of pressure by grandparents once family started. We had one daughter born in UK. Then next daughter in NZ, staying for 5 years.

6 years ago we left NZ for Aus for my husbands career and more opportunity. Well, we missed England, but NZ was OK. But Aus, we

have never really settled and long for England or NZ. Contemplating moving back to UK as we are at a crossroads in our life, and now would

be a good time to move.

I miss from UK the seasons; beautiful memories of evening walks and seeing blossom and autumn leaves, excitement of snow in winter. Hot

chocolate, rolling hills of green, open space and walks rugged up, family pubs where you went out to enjoy a family meal and appreciate wine

and food and good conversation, architecture, culture, theatre, Europe!

The easiest and best friends I have ever made were in England, followed by NZ. Not Australia at all. Above all else just the constant heat

and natural disasters, mozzies, flies and very bad impatient drivers is a struggle. Just wondering what others think and has returning to the

UK been a great experience?

Thank you. Look forward to comments. Louise.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you both want to do it, then you might as well and be thankful you don't thave that complication when one wants to go and the other doesn't. I moved back in January, actually was perfectly content in Australia and was worried I would be homesick to get back. But that hasn't happened. It has been extremely easy to settle back in and just as I appreciate many things about Australia, I am appreciating things here that are pure British, cold crisp mornings, countryside, open fires and yes country pubs and Sunday roasts.

We are pleased we came back when we did as both our parents got sick at the same time in NZ. I cared for my mum while she had a liver transplant (still alive and thriving) and unfortunately my hubby lost

his dad who got sick at the same time. We both feel responsible for our aged mums, is it selfish to go back to where you loved and want your children to grow up? my eldest daughter is 14, nearly 15 and she

begs to go to university in the UK. She was born there. I have such good memories and feel we would be so happy to go back, but we have to leave our mums in NZ. I do not think the education system in

Australia is any good. Education is very important to us for our children. From memory and research the education is the best in UK and USA?????

No we have not been back. But we have friends, contacts and family back in UK and have done the research. I would feel more confident getting on a flight back to UK than taking the risk of staying

here. For starters the government in Australia is to the most unstable I have ever experienced. We have voluntary handouts constantly taken out of my husbands pay check to contribute to the

natural disasters, but we can not access anything from the government. Fair enough, but Australia takes our money that we have studied hard for and worked hard for? We got more acceptance

and help from the UK in our time there than we have ever had in Australia. My husband has English parents, I now have UK citizenship, and my eldest daughter was born in

Hemel Hempstead, youngest born in NZ. I have travelled when young (21 did the OE) then my husband is an airline pilot . A few countries, living in Australia is the hardest and loneliest and most

depressing out of anywhere I have ever lived. It is not the country of opportunity and it is not the golden land.

Thank you to all who listens and reply. Louise.

If you have the money, education in Australia is second to none. If you have the money, and that's the rub. I assume you have been living in one of the Northern States, kiwi- it sure feels cold down here a lot of the time. We have the fire on tonight, for example! Today I even had a hot chocolate, too, though during the day the weather is warm ( 24C today)

Hello starlight7 you made me smile. Would love to see your fire and hot chocolate! We are in Queensland are currently sweating, prob feeling effects of the cyclone. Not sure I agree with you. What exactly is the definition of money?? We have lost money but yes we probably have money compared to some. However I do not think the education system in Australia is great. We pay for private schooling because we think the state schools in Queensland are terrible. What do others think???? Education for our children is soooo important. Just a thought.:jiggy:

We left NZ 9 months before the Christchurch earthquake happened, we lived in Rangiora. Just in time for the Ipswich Qld floods. But we were OK. So always something positive to find. I have to adjust an earlier comment. My teenage daughter does reassure me that some state schools in Queensland are good, and this is true. She was the happiest at the one state school we tried. In general I feel the schooling in Queensland lags behind the rest of Australia. We lived for six months in NSW. And I think again that schooling in Australia is not as good as England or NZ. But always exceptions, as I know Starlight above will be pleased to hear, that Melbourne University is one of the best in the world. Each to their own, but I find Australia has gone down hill of recent times and is not as good as it used to be. Certainly the cost of living has got ridiculous and what is going of with house prices? Poor future generations.

As we get older and have a chance to move and make the most out of life, why not??? A big world out there and something for all of us.

I'm not sure how much you know about the UK education system but the school leaving age is 16 (although most now stay on until 18), at the start of the Sept. school year in which you turn 14 a two year exam course starts, to join part way through that would be difficult - certainly not impossible & as your daughter is aiming for uni I will assume she is bright and could catch-up but she may end up with results not truly reflecting her ability and impacting her further and higher education options.

It could almost be better for her to move post 16 and (assuming you'd move to England) do GCSE's and A levels at a 6th form or further education college. Colleges do one year GCSE courses and A level course are 2 years so she would then have the 3 years residency needed for university as a home student.

Private schools are of course an option in England but it is a different culture - unless you are upper middle class, then expect a lot of scorn from friends and neighbours and of course they are much more expensive. One of the benefits of moving is you can choose to live in an area with a good state school - although housing in those areas comes at a premium. I must say after private school in Australia I did not feel i could send my son to the state school in the area we were going to be living - if we could have lived somewhere else that would have been different though.

Private schooling wouldn't overcome the 2 year GCSE course issue though and many may even be reluctant to take her part way through for fear of impacting their place in the league tables! Not all are like that of course and my son goes to a wonderful non-selective school.

Where has the 'best' education is difficult to assess as it depends on what you judge it on - I prefer the Australian system, far less pressure on primary school children and much more social/emotional skills learning. The view of my sons current school was he had been taught 'exceptionally well' and indeed the head has asked me in for a chat about my sons school in Australia to learn from it.

I saw article in the paper recently that London has more 'top' universities than anywhere else in the world - matched by Paris in number but London's are ranked more highly but what does that really mean? If you look at that by country then US has most universities in the top 100 - seven of the top ten are US (the other 3 UK) but this does not mean Australian universities are rubbish - Melbourne and Sydney Uni's are both in the top 100.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2014-15/world-ranking

If you look at education achievement as a whole then the UK does astonishingly well - 2nd in world rankings, US is 20th, Australia 13th and NZ 8th

http://m.thelearningcurve.pearson.com/index/index-ranking/educational-attainment-highest

However, IMHO your daughter would be better off finishing her education in Australia (or at least NZ if she could transition more seamlessly due to exams at 18 not 16) purely because of the disruption however I agree with your views on Australia - we moved back after 5 years there for similar reasons - so if it's time to go it's time to go!

Hello

Thank you for your response and lovely username. In an ideal world we would wait until eldest daughter completes year 12 (she in year 10) and youngest daughter completest year 7 (she in year 5). Leaving at completion of year 12 means my eldest would have December until Sept off, a little gap year, and then start Uni. Yes she is very bright and would love to go uni in England. She is doing higher level studies already. We have only ever done private schools since living in Australia as it was not necessary in England and NZ. Interesting what you say about the state school you would not send your son too. But I think in any country you get a good area you get a good state school. It can be a case of spend more on the house and live in a better area and do the state school, versus live in a cheaper area for housing but have to pay out for a state school. As exactly as you say in above post.

Interesting what you say about your school thinking so highly about the Australian system, because in NZ we think our system is way above the Australian system. I found my children coming from NZ were ahead in the curriculum to the Australian children with this curriculum.

And yes we should last another two and a half years, but maybe we will move at the end of the year. Just think two less sweltering summers at least among many other factors. And you say you moved back after 5 years, well do you like it? are you settled and has it been worth it?? Thanks so much. Louise.

I came from a crap area and so did my hubbie ...when in mean crap it had the worst reputation when we were kids ever , not so much nowadays we were bought up on a council estate where my hubbies parents still live , they worked hard on the Potts his dad , and his mother was a manager at great mills in it's day ...then she was a white coat on the Potts lol , we had not the best state schools but not the worst niether , I messed around but had fun lol , my hubbie hated school but could still sit a exam and pass he was more bobbing off than actually at school and I bobbed with him lol ...un heard of today I suppose ....but my hubby was always engineered minded ....and did it himself ...so my hubbie believes where ever u from , or what school u go to it doesn't matter if u want it u will achieve it ....my sister did well too at our not so great school ...she works for social services quite high up ...and her hubby did well too he's a head master ...I'm just the black sheep haha ...so iin one hand I understand u and in another I don't ...it's what kids put in ....that's y I'm carrying a bucket and a mop and a icy pop around now haha :) anyway good luck :)

Really? I thought that if she was born in England she was OK. So she has to be living in England for 3 years prior, even if a UK citizen, she will become an international student?? I am surprised and now a little worried

as we all know how much is charged for international students. Does this also apply to scholarship application? You have to be residing within the country for so many years???

I came from a crap area and so did my hubbie ...when in mean crap it had the worst reputation when we were kids ever , not so much nowadays we were bought up on a council estate where my hubbies parents still live , they worked hard on the Potts his dad , and his mother was a manager at great mills in it's day ...then she was a white coat on the Potts lol , we had not the best state schools but not the worst niether , I messed around but had fun lol , my hubbie hated school but could still sit a exam and pass he was more bobbing off than actually at school and I bobbed with him lol ...un heard of today I suppose ....but my hubby was always engineered minded ....and did it himself ...so my hubbie believes where ever u from , or what school u go to it doesn't matter if u want it u will achieve it ....my sister did well too at our not so great school ...she works for social services quite high up ...and her hubby did well too he's a head master ...I'm just the black sheep haha ...so iin one hand I understand u and in another I don't ...it's what kids put in ....that's y I'm carrying a bucket and a mop and a icy pop around now haha :) anyway good luck :)

I'm inclined to agree with Shelly. A bright child will always 'get on' no matter how rubbish or how good the school is. I sometimes think parents are obsessed with schools. My two went to the local state school. We were pretty laid back about their education - never put any pressure on the boys. Just said "as long as you do your best". Both of them did just fine and have good jobs now.

Really? I thought that if she was born in England she was OK. So she has to be living in England for 3 years prior, even if a UK citizen, she will become an international student?? I am surprised and now a little worried

as we all know how much is charged for international students. Does this also apply to scholarship application? You have to be residing within the country for so many years???

I am no expert, but lived overseas (coincidentally my husband was an airline pilot) and friends children were caught out by this.

I really don't know if things have changed, but you need to find out what the rules are.

I am pretty certain you need to be resident for 3 years - there are some specific scholarships for overseas students but she would have to be truly exceptional and it would be a very risky strategy.

My OH wanted to do a photography course and was caught by this rule - born in UK, British citizen, lived in the UK for 43 years (& paid tax for 21 of them!) but because we had been in Australia for 5 he did not qualify as a home student but if he had been born in the EU and never even lived in the UK he would have been! Despite being very looney left I did have a rather right wing rant at the time!!!

We we were in the same boat, from the uk moved to New Zealand for 12 years where both kids in great schools. Moved to Bunbury wa with hubbies job and hated it. Couldn't settle, local high school was a great disappointment. Moved back to the uk last year with a 14 and 12 year old. School ok, the push the kids here more than the school in Aus and although they have to stay on at school now until 18 or do an apprentiship that is not a bad thing. Moved back to the uk at the right time as 14 year old needed to choose his options for year 10 and he has settled fine. I have found it hard to settle back in the UK and hope one day to go back to New Zealand where I would happily spend the rest of my years. Have only been back a year but already find the winters long and depressing, roads full of potholes in sheffield and litter everywhere. It has gone downhill since we left in 2003. But hey everyone has a different view on things. My husband loves being back!

My aussie kids have done well for themselves here (UK).We moved to the UK though when they were 9 and 11 yrs of age,so no drama's with uni/fee's.I think someone mentioned on here the other day the international fee's per year for uni is £9,000 per year.Your daughter could work for 3 years and then apply?

My aussie kids have done well for themselves here (UK).We moved to the UK though when they were 9 and 11 yrs of age,so no drama's with uni/fee's.I think someone mentioned on here the other day the international fee's per year for uni is £9,000 per year.Your daughter could work for 3 years and then apply?

I think it's the domestic fees that are £9,000 a year - the international fees would be much more.

my opinion of oz education is very high. as a teacher who has taught in both oz & the uk i believe the oz system of providing students with a conceptual understanding of why things are they way they are is far better. the uk system is based on learning by rote to pass a test to ensure the school doesnt lose funding. its a pity more parents dont understand the advantages meaning learning provides students.

Interesting comment Booma. Can I ask where in Australia you have taught? I have heard even from some Australians and certainly some kiwis that Queensland lags behind the rest of Australia for education. Obviously the change to bring forward the start of high school will help this.

I am a little worried about the fact we have to reside in the UK for 3 years before my eldest can do uni. No way do we want to pay international fees. I am going to check this out. Our plan was to start looking into England this year, visit next year, move the following year with the plan she had a small gap year from Dec until Sept. I really do not think having to wait 3 years once over there for her to start is a good idea. So we might have to leave this year!?

I have been here for six years now, and am getting no closer to wanting to live here. I would go back to NZ in a flash but I am the only one out of four! Next best thing for me is return to England that we are all keen on. I just find Australia so different to NZ and England, and I feel like an outsider here.

Have traipsed around hubby for his career our entire married life and am really wanting to have a say now in where we live. Also my eldest daughter is so excited to have a chance to see the country where she was born and live there, and see where her grandparents and family are from.