cost of living - what salary do you need in eastern suburbs

Clankaroo

Hi all,

I plan to rent an apartment in the eastern suburbs (bondi junction or close). The cost of living is really high, particularly housing. It seems the rent for a decent 1 bedroom apartment would be 550-600 aud/week. Being alone, I am concerned about how much I would need to earn to live comfortably. I need to go back to Europe to see my family 1x/year, spend some time socializing here, save money. Nothing special, certainly not spending like crazy.

What would you recommend ? would 100,000 aud not including super /yearly be enough ?

Thanks

Hi all,

I plan to rent an apartment in the eastern suburbs (bondi junction or close). The cost of living is really high, particularly housing. It seems the rent for a decent 1 bedroom apartment would be 550-600 aud/week. Being alone, I am concerned about how much I would need to earn to live comfortably. I need to go back to Europe to see my family 1x/year, spend some time socializing here, save money. Nothing special, certainly not spending like crazy.

What would you recommend ? would 100,000 aud not including super /yearly be enough ?

Thanks

I'd say you could manage on that, but why Eastern Suburbs? It's the most expensive part of Sydney.

Some of the young guys and girls I know in the pubs in Surry Hills share flats and houses and I guess they pay around $250 to $300 for their own room. The guy next door to my unit is always sub-letting his second bedroom out to offset the cost of renting the place.

$100,000 per annum? Should be OK, surely? I'd guestimate you need 5/600 a week for your flat, less if you share, then another 500 a week to spend? And save the rest? I don't know. I have $500 per week with no rent or mortgage, and I do struggle sometimes, though I could economise. Another couple of hundred per week, and I'd be A-OK.

I don't know where you are going to be working? You could choose to live as close as possible to work, then you'd have no commuting costs in either time or money.