NSW - Cronulla with a Commute or Eastern Suburbs with High Rents?

djfuddy

We have been considering living in Cronulla or Eastern Suburbs in Sydney.

Cronulla looks slightly more affordable on the rent side but will include commuting into city for work.

Eastern Beaches will be closer to work opportunities but rents and demand for places will be higher.

Any advice on which is better option and general feedback on living in Cronulla welcome :)

Using public transport

Considering Randwick coogee bondi tamarama bronte Maroubra

Always wanted to move to Australia to be by the ocean.

I used to live in Randwick. Commute to work is about 40 minutes as there's no train, so it has to be bus (which will be packed, so you'll need to go for an earlier bus than you need, in case it flies past full!). Coogee, Bondi and Maroubra will all take longer than Randwick.

Cronulla will be over an hour on the train but personally, I would recommend it. The rent is definitely much cheaper for a comparable flat, and it's a lovely beach with good restaurants and cafes. You might also like to consider any of the stations between Penshurst and Cronulla, because rents will be cheaper still: I used to live in Oatley and we popped down to Cronulla all the time, it was very convenient (and of course the commute from Oatley to the city was much shorter - 40 minutes on the train and I always got a seat).

I love Bronte too :laugh:

I lived in Randwick for 3 months and loved it. Only thing was having to jump in car down to Coogee for beach.

Is there many companies or work opportunities in Cronulla itself or is everyone commutes out during the day?

I work in charity/housing/government sector on data analysis/research/policy side.

I used to live in Randwick and found the bus into the city a nightmare! Some occasions it would take 1 hour 15 with the traffic! Wouldn't recommend it.

My advice is Cronulla as the trains are quite reliable and gives you a more secure commute time

Was that before the Eastern Distributor opened? The main buses from Randwick go through the ED now and I found that was a fairly reliable 40 minutes. What wasn't reliable was what time the bus would arrive at Randwick, and whether it would be packed when it did. I lived at the Alison Road end of the main drag, but I used to walk all the way down to the other end to give myself a chance of getting on.

So I agree, even though the commute from Cronulla is longer, it's far more comfortable because the trains leave on time (and if they're late there are announcements so at least you know what's happening), plus it's the beginning of the line so you always get a seat and can get some work or reading done.

I love Bronte too :laugh:

I lived in Randwick for 3 months and loved it. Only thing was having to jump in car down to Coogee for beach.

Is there many companies or work opportunities in Cronulla itself or is everyone commutes out during the day?

I work in charity/housing/government sector on data analysis/research/policy side.

Wuss! I used to walk from Randwick down to Coogee and take the bus back, much easier, good exercise and no parking hassles. If you want to be walkable to the beach then you've got more chance of that in Cronulla than the Eastern Suburbs -- I think you'll find, when you get here, that the difference in rental is far more than you think. The Eastern Suburbs beaches have a lot of fairly grotty 1930's blocks and the standard is better in Cronulla.

There is work in the Sutherland Shire but not sure about your area.

Edited by Marisawright

Yes wuss correct!! In my defence I was lazy young but at time.

Next question is: enough going on in cronulla or spend life catching last trains out of centre Sydney. No party animal just like good pubs and live music.

Sydney does not do pubs very well! Life doesn't revolve around the pub like it does in the UK and you'll find lots of suburbs where there isn't even ONE. Northies is the main pub in Cronulla and I like it. There are plenty of restaurants with bars though, which is where most people are more likely to go - there's also a nightclub.

Hi,

I live in Cronulla and work at Martin place in the City. The commute is about 1 hour. The train is, so far, very reliable. There are some nice restaurants and live music on the weekends. I could tell you more about the primary school and children`s playgrounds than pubs and bars I am afraid :wink:

Hi,

I live in Cronulla and work at Martin place in the City. The commute is about 1 hour. The train is, so far, very reliable. There are some nice restaurants and live music on the weekends. I could tell you more about the primary school and children`s playgrounds than pubs and bars I am afraid :wink:

Cronulla commuters went through a lot of pain for months while they duplicated the line -- now that's done, they've got no excuse for things not running smoothly!

Hi,

Be interested in knowing your overall impressions of living in Cronulla?

Did you always plan to live here or been elsewhere first?

Top 3 plus points and top 3 dislikes?

Can't wait to arrive in Sydney and spend time exploring different areas :)

Be interested in knowing your overall impressions of living in Cronulla?

Did you always plan to live here or been elsewhere first?

Top 3 plus points and top 3 dislikes?

Can't wait to arrive in Sydney and spend time exploring different areas :)

We have never been to Sydney before we moved and had no plans moving here because of the living expenses. My husband got a good job offer at Sutherland and that`s how we ended up here :smile:. Cronulla is lovely and I really like it a lot. There is a lot to do ( if you are into spending time outdoors), plus the Royal National Park is only 20 - 25 min. away which is a big plus for us. Don`t know about clubs but there are lots of people coming to Cronulla on Saturday night from other suburbs to have some fun so I guess it isn`t bad.

My favorite things would have to be the friendliness of the local people ( I made a good friend on the first day my son went to school ), the nature around is gorgeous and the proximity to interesting places to send a day/weekend.

The negatives - the cost and that`s a big one. We are renting a 2bed/2 bath for 550/week, soon to be 570/week. That`s actually not too bad compared to other popular Sydney spots. If we wanted to buy a property, however, we would be looking for at least 600 K + for an apartment, 1200 K + for a house. Even though we both have a good job, this isn`t doable for us as we really don`t want to sacrifice our vacations/leisure time/lifestyle to try and pay off a giant mortgage. I would be happy to stay in Cronulla but for the high cost of living, we might move to a more affordable area in the future.

We have never been to Sydney before we moved and had no plans moving here because of the living expenses. My husband got a good job offer at Sutherland and that`s how we ended up here :smile:. Cronulla is lovely and I really like it a lot. There is a lot to do ( if you are into spending time outdoors), plus the Royal National Park is only 20 - 25 min. away which is a big plus for us. Don`t know about clubs but there are lots of people coming to Cronulla on Saturday night from other suburbs to have some fun so I guess it isn`t bad.

My favorite things would have to be the friendliness of the local people ( I made a good friend on the first day my son went to school ), the nature around is gorgeous and the proximity to interesting places to send a day/weekend.

The negatives - the cost and that`s a big one. We are renting a 2bed/2 bath for 550/week, soon to be 570/week. That`s actually not too bad compared to other popular Sydney spots. If we wanted to buy a property, however, we would be looking for at least 600 K + for an apartment, 1200 K + for a house. Even though we both have a good job, this isn`t doable for us as we really don`t want to sacrifice our vacations/leisure time/lifestyle to try and pay off a giant mortgage. I would be happy to stay in Cronulla but for the high cost of living, we might move to a more affordable area in the future.

is it much cheaper to live elsewhere in the shire? places Like Miranda etc?

The further from the beach the cheaper it will get, and the Shire is far more affordable than other beachside areas, but Sydney housing is expensive wherever you go -- it's by far the most expensive in Australia.

Edited by Marisawright

As has been said, the further from the coast/rivers you go, the cheaper it is. We are over in the Engadine area, and it is more affordable here (although prices are going up and a couple of my friends have been priced out of the area), and you still have the amenities that Sutherland Shire has to offer within a few minutes in the car. We prefer this side of the shire because it is closer to the Royal National Park, and we prefer the beaches there to Cronulla. We are a family, though, and this is more of a family oriented area which probably wouldn't suit the OP.

I did research the surrounding suburbs too because we really like it in the Shire and have to say that I haven`t found a significant difference in prices. House in Cronulla - 1200000 +. House in Caringbah - same. House in Engadine - 800000 + which is still more than what we are comfortable to spend. I really don`t know how people do it. We do have significant down payment and I still wouldn`t spend 800 K on a house but then we would like to travel every year and be able to afford activities for kids such as swimming, soccer etc and go out for a meal. We used to have a mortgage of 1100 USD a month to pay for our 170 K condo in a good area. I realize that it`s not going to happen here and for what you get ( the cleanliness, open spaces, loads of places to go, beatyof the nature), fair enough. I`m stalking on realestate.com.au often in case something comes up :wink:

Hi we live in Sylvania, absolutely love it 15 minutes to staion by bus then fast train 20 mins into city if you time it right which really isn't hard to do. I pop on the bus to cronulla as don't drive about 25 mins but with the new opal bus card very cheap and very easy to get about. We love sylvania some really nice restaurants not to near the beach but very easy accessible. I can probably tell you everything about public transport lol as I'm on it most days. Some great clubs such as the one we are with if you google St George motor boat club san soucci $5.50 per year less than £3 and you get free transport on weekends from your house and home again like a taxi and after 4 on a weekday beautiful setting right on the water, there are many places you can get to from here I never have a problem. Any questions I'm happy to help.

Hi we live in Sylvania, absolutely love it 15 minutes to staion by bus then fast train 20 mins into city if you time it right which really isn't hard to do. I pop on the bus to cronulla as don't drive about 25 mins but with the new opal bus card very cheap and very easy to get about. We love sylvania some really nice restaurants not to near the beach but very easy accessible. I can probably tell you everything about public transport lol as I'm on it most days. Some great clubs such as the one we are with if you google St George motor boat club san soucci $5.50 per year less than £3 and you get free transport on weekends from your house and home again like a taxi and after 4 on a weekday beautiful setting right on the water, there are many places you can get to from here I never have a problem. Any questions I'm happy to help.

Where abouts in Sylvania? We were on Mowbray st. Good Chinese restraint just a 5 min wal towards Tom Uglys. My wife used to walk to the bus stop there each morning to get the bus to Kogarah then the train to the city. Very easy to get around to from there.

We are are just by the Blacrock Brasserie that opened last year near BMW garage, been to the Chinese but we love Mikes a Bar and grill and The Crest has changed hands and very good.

Where abouts in Sylvania? We were on Mowbray st. Good Chinese restraint just a 5 min wal towards Tom Uglys. My wife used to walk to the bus stop there each morning to get the bus to Kogarah then the train to the city. Very easy to get around to from there.