Give me some good news please!

Callie mum

I am in Darwin right now! It is relaxed and beautiful here. The people are the friendliest I have met in the whole of Australia. I have visited every state and backpacked for a year so did have a fair amount of time to experience Australia. Darwin is my favourite place. It is pretty small in terms of population but facilities up here are actually great. I don't feel like I am in the middle of nowhere or disconnected from the rest of the world as some people suggested I would. Yes some days are a little too hot or wet but so what, you sit in with the air con just the same as we sit in with the heating on when it snows in England! I love the tropical plants, the markets and the sunsets. There is a really mix of people up here too. Since being in Darwin I have enjoyed cycling every evening. It is very bike friendly here as the pavements are mostly double width. Pedestrians and cyclists can use most of them together :) There are great parks for children too. I think the positives of living in such a beautiful place easily out way the negatives and I feel really lucky to have been given the chance to live here!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in Darwin right now! It is relaxed and beautiful here. The people are the friendliest I have met in the whole of Australia. I have visited every state and backpacked for a year so did have a fair amount of time to experience Australia. Darwin is my favourite place. It is pretty small in terms of population but facilities up here are actually great. I don't feel like I am in the middle of nowhere or disconnected from the rest of the world as some people suggested I would. Yes some days are a little too hot or wet but so what, you sit in with the air con just the same as we sit in with the heating on when it snows in England! I love the tropical plants, the markets and the sunsets. There is a really mix of people up here too. Since being in Darwin I have enjoyed cycling every evening. It is very bike friendly here as the pavements are mostly double width. Pedestrians and cyclists can use most of them together :) There are great parks for children too. I think the positives of living in such a beautiful place easily out way the negatives and I feel really lucky to have been given the chance to live here!

I used to cycle frequently as well when lived there. I agree so many Back packers I spoke to where ever often cited Darwin as their favourite place. Crime, especially break-ins is an issue. Hence the large number of rather vicious dogs.

I must say though I met a number of longer term people, generally ex UK who were in the motion or consideration a move down south.

A young demographic city. Also found it to have a rather large number of single mothers. Great place though mostly enjoyed it.

• 4 months later...

Only been there as a backpacker like so many others. But maybe the place I talked about the most Kakadu was amazing but that's not living in Darwin. I remember being on my own walking to the Museum passing a sign saying if you don't have a hat or water turn back.

I carried on with no hat and no water. Today being 18 years older I would get my hat and some water but I'm glad I didn't listen to that sign.i appreciated that museum like no other. I crawled in. Like me listen to your own instinct not negativity of others.

,yes I was on holiday visa not living day to day life. Give it a shot. I would. We're starting the process now. I would love to take my family there for a visit. To live?????????

i wish some folk would think about others who are starting there adventure. Yes be truthful so people understand it's not "Never Never land " but be carefully to quash others.

i get heebies when I look deep into things. I could go to cinema tonight and love the Film. Others would dislike it some hate it others wanna watch it again with subtitles. That's life.

What have we got to lose.

• 3 months later...
Nice positive comments but, interestingly, nobody with first-hand experience of Darwin. Is there anybody there? :err:

Yeah we're all here, just trying really hard to say "something"....... true, life is what you make it, I just hope you are good at doing that.