Help - Advise

Scotinho

Hi,

I have written a thread before but didn't get a great response (I think i posted it in the wrong category).

I have an opportunity to move over with my wife and 2 young kids (oldest is 3yrs). We would be on 457 visa. My salary would be 90-100k a year on top of that 9.25 superannuation (?).

I get private medical for myself only and up to 10% annual bonus.

My place of work will be in Sydney CBD (NSW2000).

Advise on were to look for a 2/3 bedroom property with a less than 45min commute?

Rough cost for rent and breakdown of utility costs?

Thank you

S

You got a great response on the other thread which covered most things, so that may be why you didn't get any other answers!

Less than 45 minute commute - check anywhere along the Illawarra rail line, from Rockdale out as far as Sutherland. That will get you fairly close to the coast (and an easy train ride to Cronulla which is a great beach) for a reasonable rental.

Thanks Marisawright. Is there any areas along that route i should be careful about?

I was also told that Manly Vale and the northern beaches were great (slightly more expensive), is the transport not that great from there?

Yes i got a good response but was hoping for some more feedback if possible.

S

Edited by Scotinho

Thanks Marisawright. Is there any areas along that route i should be careful about?

I was also told that Manly Vale and the northern beaches were great (slightly more expensive), is the transport not that great from there?

I wouldn't have any reservations about areas along that route. The worst you could say is that some of those suburbs are a bit bland.

Transport from Manly Vale and the Northern Beaches is pretty bad because there's no train line. Roads in Sydney get very clogged in rush hour and though there are bus lanes in some places, the roads aren't always wide enough to have them.

The idea of taking the Manly ferry to work is attractive, but does have its downsides. First, don't expect to drive to Manly, park and take the ferry because parking is at a premium, so check how long it will take to get to the ferry terminal by bus in peak hour. Second, it's expensive compared to other public transport, especially if you're taking it every day.

You can use Google maps to check travel times by public transport as well as by car at various times of day.

Edited by Marisawright