Commuting on the Sydney Light Rail - is it any good?

mungbean

hi all,

Currently trying to work out where I want to stay in Sydney... how good is the Light Rail system? Frequent, fast, reliable?

I'll be working 15 mins walk from Glebe station so I'm wondering if it's worth looking around stations on the line to the west, as well as nearby.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 2.35.21 pm.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 2.35.21 pm.jpg

The light rail is okay, its a little slow and annoyingly doesn't accept the Opal card (similar to Oyster) but you can get the unlimited bus/train/light rail tickets on a weekly/monthly basis which are good value. Public transport in Sydney is very, very good in personal opinion. I'm sure you'll have no problems commuting on the light rail, its fairly modern, good stations and should be expanded at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

According to this Opal card is accepted on the Light Rail now: https://www.opal.com.au/en/where-can-i-use-it/what-services-can-i-use-it-on/

The full implementation of the Opal card is complete across:

Yep, you can use Opal on Light Rail now. I've found Light Rail to be absolutely unbearably crowded around normal work hours to the point where I actually ended up preferring the bus. But if you're okay standing crammed in like a sardine, I do find their timetables to be *fairly* reliable and the trips to be pretty speedy for the most part.

I've found Light Rail to be absolutely unbearably crowded around normal work hours to the point where I actually ended up preferring the bus. But if you're okay standing crammed in like a sardine, I do find their timetables to be *fairly* reliable and the trips to be pretty speedy for the most part.

Thanks, that's useful input.

I used to travel to work on the Delhi metro, and standing up for an hour with your face in someone's armpit isn't a great start to the day!

Thanks, that's useful input.

I used to travel to work on the Delhi metro, and standing up for an hour with your face in someone's armpit isn't a great start to the day!

You'll probably find the light rail to be a breeze then! ;)

Yeah they recently switched to Opal for Light Rail. The tap stations aren't on board though, they are at the stops.

That's good. When I was in Sydney last (Aug/Sep 2014) you got a free trip if the ticket seller/conductor didn't come along to in the time you were there for. I noticed a few people deliberately making sure they didn't have to buy a ticket.

Edited by vickyplum

hi all,

Currently trying to work out where I want to stay in Sydney... how good is the Light Rail system? Frequent, fast, reliable?

It's slower than the train but faster and more reliable than a bus. I find it a very pleasant, relaxed way to travel but that's because I tend to travel off-peak when it's half-empty. Having said that, you will be packed in like sardines on the buses, too, so you may as well choose the more predictable service.

Dulwich Hill/Lewisham are good up-and-coming suburbs in the trendy inner west.