Ambulance cover

Tastastic

Hello!

So I have another question!

We've been looking into ambulance cover and it seems that Tasmanian residents don't have to pay for any ambulance costs. After hearing of a few expensive bills in other states, I'm just trying to make sure we're doing the right thing with this.

Do people in Tas tend to not bother with ambulance cover insurance? Or is it good to have for when we travel to other states? Or would our travel insurance cover any costs anyway?

Thanks for any opinions on this.

Sounds like it is free unlike lots of other States who charge if they are called out, so you shouldn't need cover ,-

Ambulance Tasmania provides a free service to Tasmanian residents. The only chargeable cases are those related to motor vehicle or workplace accidents where insurance arrangements cover costs.

http://transporthealth.com.au/useful-information/ambulance-cover

Cal x

We don't need it in Tasmania - ambulance use is free. Occasionally Tasmanians will get cover for travelling in other states - usually retired people who may spend a couple of months in Queensland each winter, for example.

But it's certainly worth thinking about for anyone travelling interstate.

You'd have to check the fine print on the particular travel insurance you have to determine whether it would be covered.

Locally seems to be all covered, only exception I've come across was a patient of mine who was injured in an MVA as a passenger and not willing to disclose the driver to MAIB as he knew his mate was over the limit. Hence as not MAIB claim was liable for the cost of the ambulance himself (although I seriously hope he got his "mate" to pay it).