where to live in nsw - other than sydney

Kerry85

Hi all,

just looking for some opinions. i am currently living in Wollongong with my partner and new baby, and we are considering moving due to a lack of jobs and opportunities in the area. My partner has a lot of family in south west sydney so we ideally want to stay in the state so we are close enough to drive to see them but we don't really want to be in Sydney. We are looking for somewhere with reasonable house prices and jobs on offer (a big ask anywhere i know!) My partner is a chef but is looking for a career change and is just finding nothing down here.

any advice would be much appreciated,

thanks!

Hi Kerry

We are in Picton , not far from Wollongong .. Its a nice area , not far from your family , but has that touch of rural life about it , and is only 30 mins from the coast too . There is a railway line with trains to Sydney and South to Bowral and Goulburn .

As for house prices , its always best to check out realestate websites , however rents are about $350+ / wk and house prices average about $500,000 . Work is the biggest hurdle ... Camden has lots of cafes and restaurants and is only 15mins away , however , securing a good job is getting increasingly difficult no matter where you decide to settle .

best of luck .

Dave C

Hi all,

just looking for some opinions. i am currently living in Wollongong with my partner and new baby, and we are considering moving due to a lack of jobs and opportunities in the area. My partner has a lot of family in south west sydney so we ideally want to stay in the state so we are close enough to drive to see them but we don't really want to be in Sydney. We are looking for somewhere with reasonable house prices and jobs on offer (a big ask anywhere i know!) My partner is a chef but is looking for a career change and is just finding nothing down here.

The only other big town in NSW is Newcastle, and you may find that's just as hard to get started in. I know several people who live in Newcastle and love it - like any city, you have to know the rough areas to avoid, and if you do that then it's a great place with a great beach and good cafes etc.

I'd suggest your best bet would be for your husband to look for work first before you even consider moving. You're close enough to Newcastle and the Central coast that he could travel for interviews.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Marissa. Try for a job in Newcastle and see what happens.

It's a great place, some very beautiful areas around, plenty to do.

The city centre is run down in places, but it's not the kind of place where you need to go to the city centre very often. Newcastle is all about the beaches, its suburbs, the lake, the hunter valley vineyards, port Stephens etc.

I wonder if your husband is making life hard for himself by seeking a career change immediately. It can be hard enough getting a job as a new arrival from the UK when you've got experience to offer.

Thanks for the replies everyone, my partner is aussie and is working as a chef at the moment in wollongong. We definately wouldnt move unless we had jobs to go to, its just knowing where to look! Although my partner is aussie theres a lot of places he hasnt been to either so its good to get some opinions of places to consider.

Newcastle sounds similar to wollongong with the centre being a bit run down which doesnt really bother me that much so long and there is things to do and places to explore nearby. We are actually in the hunter this weekend which is very close to newcastle...maybe we will have a little detour on the way home. The hunter valley is gorgeous so i would love to be closer. Thanks again x

Thanks for the replies everyone, my partner is aussie and is working as a chef at the moment in wollongong. We definately wouldnt move unless we had jobs to go to, its just knowing where to look! Although my partner is aussie theres a lot of places he hasnt been to either so its good to get some opinions of places to consider.

Newcastle sounds similar to wollongong with the centre being a bit run down which doesnt really bother me that much so long and there is things to do and places to explore nearby. We are actually in the hunter this weekend which is very close to newcastle...maybe we will have a little detour on the way home. The hunter valley is gorgeous so i would love to be closer. Thanks again x

I was in the Hunter Valley this weekend too, at the vineyards. Fab day out :)

can you recommend some nice places on the central coast we should look at? can i ask if you work locally or do you travel to sydney for work? thanks x

The Central Coast is made up of lots of little townships. Gosford is about the biggest but even it isn't large. It's more than likely you'd commute to Sydney for work.

• 1 year later...

Hi hope you don't mind me butting in!

We are contemplating moving from Adelaide to run a business in Picton.. Could I get some information from you about the area? Schools etc? We've just been up fm for a visit and loved it but it's a big move and we would love to know more about the area.

Thanks!