Moving to Canberra in 2015 thread

hefbat

One more for you....How long did it take to ship your household stuff, UK door to Canberra door, and did you ship it shared container or a full one? I hear 6-9 weeks for sole container and 8-12 for shared, but don't know if that is door to door in Canberra, or just time on the ship excluding customs/admin in Sydney.

Cheers!

We had a solo container and it took about 3 months door-to-door. We left the day after our container so it was fun living with only a few items in the house for a little while but we got by :)

That should be door to door, but it's an estimate. They can't control what customs do or if your container gets pulled for an inspection. This should only add on a few days though really.

Ours took 18 weeks in a shared. That's a long time, and it turned out that we'd left the UK before our container although we'd sent it off 4 weeks early to avoid that. This was with Allied Pickfords, who have a Sydney and Canberra branch so the same company can see it through from start to finish.

It was the UK end that held onto it, never did get an explanation, but generally a sole container will go on a schedule, a shared container has to wait until it's full so is variable. 18 weeks was taking the piss though.

What we found was that the shipping companies are a lot more attentive before they've secured your business, so it's worth doing the research and testing out the salesperson fully before you agree to anything; once they hand it to the administration side it's a whole different bunch of people you deal with.

Thanks for this Slean, useful to know about AP being able to take it right to the door...mentioned your post to my wife and she asked if you could provide more detail about your last paragraph. What should we be looking for with research (assuming cost, shipping times, reputation) and what we should be testing the salesperson on that they won't be as forthcoming with after it's been paid for.

We had a solo container and it took about 3 months door-to-door. We left the day after our container so it was fun living with only a few items in the house for a little while but we got by :)

I can imagine. Did you find something quick and rent/buy. Wondering whether it's worth looking on our own or finding an agent to help (we're going to rent long-term). In the interval we're going to rent a furnished holiday home (wife's employer is covering costs) so we'll be ok, but we'll all be much happier once our own stuff arrives!

Hi

I just wanted to say thanks for starting the thread it's been quiet for a long time and I had started to wonder if anyone moves to Canberra. Anyway a little info about us ,at the moment we are still jumping up and down having secured a permanent visa it's been a long road but we did it! Now flights booked and we arrive in April this year with our two year old ready for a new challenge . Thanks for the info already on the thread it's been useful I am a real footie fan and going to miss match of the day and Man U for my sins. My partner is jumping for joy at the lack of English footie. I just wondered if there are any meet up groups in Canberra?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

we're moving to Australia at the end of March this year, planning to settle in Canbera in May. I've got a job with an IT company in the CBD (who I currently work for in UK), so we're looking at sorting the 457 visa now. My wife and I have a 2 year old boy and a daughter wo will be around 9 months when we arrive. Not sure which areas would be good for housing, Weston creek and Woden look like good locations to consider, also appear to be good value housing in Gungahilin.

I want to avoid major traffic jams commuting into town if possible.

Andy

Edited by Andy2015
typos in original message, sorry

Hi,

we're moving to Australia at the end of March this year, planning to settle in Canbera in May. I've got a job with an iT company in the CBD (who I currently work for in UK), so we're looking at sorting the 457 visa now. My wife and I have a 2 year old boy and a daughter wo will be around 9 months when we arrive. Not sure which areas would be good for housing, Weston creek and Woden look like good locations to consider, also appear to be good value housing in GanIlin lookalike good value.

want to avoid major traffic jams immunity into town if possible.

Andy

I can recommend the Inner North if you're working in Civic then you can ride your bike!

Be careful on a 457 though, the ACT charges like a wounded bull for education should you still be there when your kids get to school age. It's cheaper to send them to Grammar than to send them to public schools (unless your occupation is on the list at the time)

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Thanks for the message Quoll.

Currently in Sydney, moving down to Canberra next month, so have some things like bank account and oz phone number sorted, but still to sort out car and renting longer term accommodation. Enjoying Australia so far.

How's other people's move coming along?

Andy

Hi,

Thanks for the message Quoll.

Currently in Sydney, moving down to Canberra next month, so have some things like bank account and oz phone number sorted, but still to sort out car and renting longer term accommodation. Enjoying Australia so far.

How's other people's move coming along?

Andy

Hey Andy, we're just two week away from arriving, so finishing up last bits and pieces here. Currently trying to determine whether the curtains we are leaving behind are washable or dry-cleanable, and how to find a replacement drain plug for the sink that fits. That kind of mind-numbing stuff.

We've got temporary accommodation in the inner north sorted for a couple of months while we wait for the stuff to arrive...dreading the flight with 2-year-old twins but otherwise looking forward to it.

Any tips on the prep/flight/move...things you'd wish you'd done differently, especially with a two-year-old of your own?

Mike

Good luck trying to tie everything up in the UK, we did find that bit all very last minute.

I don't envy you, for your journey, by making ours just London to Sydney initially, and then the move the Canberra later. I guess you will need to do London to Scotland, then 2 legs to Sydney? and then on to Canberra.

Anything that will help your little ones settle for some sleep on the flight would be a good idea, whilst accepting that they will want to watch an excessive amount of in-flight entertainment tv shows and spend some of the time running up and down the aisles amusing staff and other passengers! We found that our son didn't have great need for the activity books we brought, a couple of things was enough, because the plane was so exciting. At least with the 2 year olds they'll have their own seats (I know there's a cost to that).

Think about what you need for different stages; what do we need on the plane, don't put other stuff in hand luggage as you'll need to haul it through at least 3 airports, what will you need when you get there and is it cheap to buy on arrival.

Oh and fill out the immigration forms they give you on the plane in good time (when it's light and you're not trying to sleep) rather than have a rush with them when you get to Australia.

Are you planning on grocery shopping on arrival day, or can you consider doing an online shop with coles or woolworths in advance to be delivered once you arrive?

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

We are a family of three- Raluca, Daniel and Jason (5 years old). We are romanians moving to Canberra from UK :) We are planning to fly to Canberra at the beginning of September. We don't know anyone there so if there is anyone in Canberra who would like to make (new) friends, we are available :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...