samanthab

Dear Friends,

I am planning to move Tassi mid in 2015, before that I need few good advices from you guys. We are a family of 4 ( 2 kids 4 and 2 yrs old).

Basically I need to know about job market for the engineers and mechanical technicians since that is my main stream interest and ability.

Any advise from you highly appreciate. Plz guide me to the right direction.

Thanks,

Samantha.

Congratulations on picking Tasmania as I have been to all the states and territories and to my mind Tassie is the pick of them all. You will love it. Having said that, it is not easy to get a job in Tasmania and there are so many job losses happening throughout Australia now it is rather demoralising. The Federal government cutbacks and cutback in mining jobs means there are a lot of people looking for work now. You may need to take any work you can get before landing the type of work you really want to do.

Basically I need to know about job market for the engineers and mechanical technicians since that is my main stream interest and ability.

Gaining employment is usually the biggest hurdle in moving here. Do you already have a visa or are you in the process of applying for one? Do you have a preference for any particular area of Tassie or will it depend entirely on where you can get a job?

Thanks for replies friends,

* Still in application process.

* Mainly planed to settle in Hobart since it is the capital and I don't like to be more isolate as I am a people person.

And also ease of access to good primary schools.

* At the beginning, any kind of source of income which is reasonable enough to live is preferred (To 4 members).

Thanks again,

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm also considering a move from EU to Tasmania, and I'd like to ask for some suggestions here:

I have a job where I live now and I'm quite OK with it but I'd like to move to Tasmania and I'm not sure if I'd just quit it, move to Tasmania and then search for a new one? It's kind of uncertain.

So, what you think, is it realistic to expect that I could find a job in Launceston by applying from the internet? If yes, could you suggest me a few websites where I could do that?

Or are there some other options?

Regards.

Edited by Bens1

Hi all,

I'm also considering a move from EU to Tasmania, and I'd like to ask for some suggestions here:

I have a job where I live now and I'm quite OK with it but I'd like to move to Tasmania and I'm not sure if I'd just quit it, move to Tasmania and then search for a new one? It's kind of uncertain.

So, what you think, is it realistic to expect that I could find a job in Launceston by applying from the internet? If yes, could you suggest me a few websites where I could do that?

Or are there some other options?

Regards.

Important first questions: what is your occupation and do you have a visa to live in Australia?

Generally speaking, employment is not easy to find in Tasmania and I think it very unlikely to find a job from overseas...but that would depend on your occupation.

Having visited Tassie a few times now, I would recommend you try before you buy.

Hobart is a fantastic state capital if you ask me - a lot of culture and beautiful scenery. I was less than impressed with Launceston - visually less impressive and I got the impression rightly or wrongly that it was a very parochial place. The surrounding areas around Launceston however are very pretty and there are good leisure options. Having just travelled the east coast, all I can say is wow! But, very rural and unless you are an entrepreneur, it is going to be low paid work.

I would opt for Hobart anyday, but I would be thoroughly researching the job market before you commit, and ideally I would have a reccie trip first.

Hi All..

I am from India. Recently I got my positive career assessment from Engineers Australia and my ANZSCO Code is 2333914 i.e.e Engineering Technologist. I need to apply State Sponsorship now and currently opening is there for Tasmania State.

So I am quite confused about job openings in Tasmania for my Skill. Can you ppl guide me, is there sufficient openings are available in Hobart for my Skill Level. So that I can decide upon migrate to Hobart.

Plz. help guys...

So I am quite confused about job openings in Tasmania for my Skill. Can you ppl guide me, is there sufficient openings are available in Hobart for my Skill Level. So that I can decide upon migrate to Hobart.

Plz. help guys...

Job vacancies in Tasmania are generally limited and I don't think there is anyone on this forum with personal knowledge of the employment area in which you are trained. My best advice is to search on recruiting websites such as

http://www.seek.com.au/

http://www.careerone.com.au/

• 2 months later...

I'm a Chartered Accountant in Practice with 5 years of experience and my wife is a Computer Engineer who passed just last year and has no experience. We are from Mumbai, India. Institute of Chartered Accountants of India has a tie up with the CPA Institute of Australia whereby I will have to appear for a few selected exam(s) and hence I can become the CPA of Australia quickly. Also, I will appear for CFA level I in June this year.

What do you think are our chances of a getting a decent job in Hobart?

What do you think are our chances of a getting a decent job in Hobart?

As mentioned in my previous post, employment here is not plentiful and many people have to leave to seek employment on mainland Australia.

You could try contacting some of the major recruitment companies here, for example

http://www.searsonbuck.com.au/

http://www.hays.com.au/general-content/HAYS_123837

However, I have seen comments from others on these forums that they do not get much (if any) response from recruiting firms before having been granted a visa and arrived in Australia.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Samantha,

Indeed this is an old thread & I had not noticed it before.

Long story short: I have a lovely riverfront small acreage property is TAS about 45 mins south/east of Hobart.

I no longer reside there but regularly visit & have the property watched & looked after.

I am a 30 yrs established professional mechanical & electrical engineer. I've been self employed for over 20 yrs.

Re your post you have not offered much info your experience or level of qualifications ?

Neither have you mentioned which specific field of mechanical engineering which you have either worked in or interests you ?

I can't offer you any helpful advice unless you are far more specific,

Kind regards.

• 5 months later...
As mentioned in my previous post, employment here is not plentiful and many people have to leave to seek employment on mainland Australia.

You could try contacting some of the major recruitment companies here, for example

http://www.searsonbuck.com.au/

http://www.hays.com.au/general-content/HAYS_123837

However, I have seen comments from others on these forums that they do not get much (if any) response from recruiting firms before having been granted a visa and arrived in Australia.

Dear Skani,

I have just received my grant. Hopefully see you guys in Hobart soon by the year end. Thank you so much!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I've been pursing the location of Hobart as my dream destination all through the past 6-7 months. However, considering the lack of job opportunities we're first initially moving to Sydney. We schedule to reach Sydney by 4th December. I still have Hobart in my mind and as soon as I get some time I will visit Tasmania(Hobart in particular) and gradually plan a move to Hobart. But hopefully see you guys soon! Thanks for all your help!