4 years on 457 and Just got RPL. Want to move back to UK - Pros? Cons? Your suggestions? Ideas?

dunesurfer

Hi,

I'm weighing up my options. Maybe someone has done the same?

Interested to hear what other people would do in my situation?

Staying is not an option as I need to get money.

I just got my RPL for ICT Support Engineer with ACS. (How long will this RPL be valid if i leave Australia?)

Plan is to go back to the UK, make some money, and do my PR from there. (PR will cost me $5k. Australia has sucked me dry financially)

Any suggestions on how to play this?

I can get state ACT sponsorship. I'm not to keen on ACT again. Nightmarish state for a 457 IT visa. Something hard to explain to someone who haven't walked the walk.

I am 41. (So, Either come back to anywhere but ACT, before I'm 45, or before 50)

I'm interested to share some ideas and brainwaves please.

Thanks!

By RPL I assume you mean a positive skills assessment via RPL? I am also assuming your current employer won't sponsor you? If they will then an ENS visa has to be your best option if you are planning a future in Australia. To get an independent visa your skill would need to be on the SOL (which I don't think it is - could be wrong!) or the CSOL for which you'd need state sponsorship (& I don't know if any States are sponsoring your skills)

You need to work out your points and look at the impact of age - I suspect you want to apply for your visa before you are 45. Do bear in mind the rules change all the time so if you are eligible now I'd apply - the risk is if you don't then you may find your opportunity is lost.

IT is booming in the UK, especially the contract market which would be ideal if you want to earn a lot of money in a short time.

Thank you for your advice.

I am going for the 190, get PR, and apply for citizenship immediate. I've been in Australia already for 4 years on a 457, which i understand counts for a citizenship application.

Once i got citizenship, I'm think a tour of duty back to the UK for some contracting is in order :-)

You would have to hold the PR for at least 1 year (not being out of the country for more than 3 months within that time) before you can apply for citizenship. you need a minimum of 4 years of residence in Australia and at least 1 year out of that has to be as a permanent resident.

is there anyway your company will sponsor you for PR. then after a year you can apply for permanent residence then citizenship look on the immigration website at citizenship wizard to see when you would be eligible. I came on a 457 and it can be a tough ride but if work not an option for flying can you not apply for independent Pr on your skills whilst in Australia our friends did this and just went on a holiday to new Zealand whilst it was granted.

good luck

hi there.

forgive me for jumping on here but I read this interesting thread and want confirmation of something I have read. Can I apply for citizenship after having my PR for one year? We have just arrived here, however, and interested in seeing our options. do we have to have been in the country for 4 years overall before applying?

many thanks

hi there.

forgive me for jumping on here but I read this interesting thread and want confirmation of something I have read. Can I apply for citizenship after having my PR for one year? We have just arrived here, however, and interested in seeing our options. do we have to have been in the country for 4 years overall before applying?

many thanks

Minimum 4 years residence with at least 1 as PR.

• 3 weeks later...