Mount Nelson / Taroona

Tastastic

Hello again!

Well the much-anticipated move is almost upon us. Just a matter of weeks now before we move to the other side of the world...:eek:

So, I have been doing some more trawling of the internet, trying to find the right schools for the kids. Trying to tie that in with our preferred area to live in and an available rental house might prove to be a little tricky (understatement) but we're gonna try! Obviously the final decisions will be made when we visit the schools/areas but I'm trying to narrow down the search area before we arrive. We've shortlisted a few primary schools but there are a couple in areas that we didn't visit when we were on our reccie (doh!). Can anyone tell me what Mount Nelson and Taroona are like please? The schools sound lovely. I think those suburbs might be a bit quieter than, say, Sandy Bay and Blackman's Bay, is that right? Are there many shops/cafes etc in Mount Nelson/Taroona? The whole move just feels a little bit vague at the moment. If I could rule in (or out) different areas then I think it would really help keep us motivated through all the stress of packing, organising, saying goodbyes etc. Any info much appreciated!

TIA

Can anyone tell me what Mount Nelson and Taroona are like please? The schools sound lovely. I think those suburbs might be a bit quieter than, say, Sandy Bay and Blackman's Bay, is that right? Are there many shops/cafes etc in Mount Nelson/Taroona?

Both Mount Nelson and Taroona are lovely suburbs (IMHO). I went to High School in Taroona and I've lived in two houses in Mount Nelson.

Mount Nelson has only one small general store ....and the only "cafe" is the Signal Station Brasserie

http://www.signalstation.com.au/

However it is only a couple of minutes drive down the hill to Sandy Bay which has a shopping centre - the 2 main supermarkets, banks, chemists, hairdressers, restaurants, cafes etc.

Taroona did have a small shopping centre with supermarket etc. but I think that has all closed now and residents travel to Sandy Bay for shopping.

There is a very nice cafe/bakery called The Picnic Basket (has its own website on social media).

It has always had very strong community links.

http://taroona.tas.au/

and has some beautiful little alcovey beaches.

I don't think I'd call them "quieter" than Blackmans Bay which is itself a fairly quiet suburb and it's difficult to compare them with Sandy Bay because it is so different. Firstly the latter covers a large area - from the older part which is quite close to the Hobart CBD, then stretching a couple of miles along the foreshore of the harbour (Lower Sandy Bay) to Taroona and a newer area climbing up Mount Nelson. It also includes the University of Tasmania so there is a significant student population.

Hello Skani

Thank you (yet again :cute:) for your reply.

I'm so pleased to hear that Taroona and Mount Nelson seem to be such nice places. Taroona High looks like a wonderful high school. We hope to be able to find a house and primary school etc to feed into that high school. I so hope I can get everything to fall into place!!

Well the Signal Station certainly isn't like any cafe I've ever been to! :laugh: It looks amazing! As does The Picnic Basket. We certainly won't be stuck for places to eat, that's for sure!

The Taroona website is really useful, too, thank you. I wouldn't have found that site by myself. It gives you a real feel for the place. I like it!

I feel slightly less panicky and overwhelmed by the whole thing than I did before! Thanks again, Skani. Much appreciated.

Guest The Pom Queen
Hello Skani

Thank you (yet again :cute:) for your reply.

I'm so pleased to hear that Taroona and Mount Nelson seem to be such nice places. Taroona High looks like a wonderful high school. We hope to be able to find a house and primary school etc to feed into that high school. I so hope I can get everything to fall into place!!

Well the Signal Station certainly isn't like any cafe I've ever been to! :laugh: It looks amazing! As does The Picnic Basket. We certainly won't be stuck for places to eat, that's for sure!

The Taroona website is really useful, too, thank you. I wouldn't have found that site by myself. It gives you a real feel for the place. I like it!

I feel slightly less panicky and overwhelmed by the whole thing than I did before! Thanks again, Skani. Much appreciated.

We don't have many members from Tasmania so are very thankful to Skani for offering who knowledge and some excellent advice on the area. Hopefully once you arrive and settle you could pop back and also help out with the Tasmania section :wink:

Guest The Pom Queen
I absolutely will! Feels kind of bizarre to think of myself as some kind of future Tassie expert, but I'll give it a go! :biglaugh:

Hey you already know more than me :laugh:

Hi Tastastic

when's the big move happening?

it's such an exciting time isn!t it? Was just bringing back a few memories of when we made the move.

Chris x

Hi!

Two months today! [emoji33][emoji1]

Yeah it is very exciting. Absolutely terrifying at the same time though! And I have sooooo much to do. How I'm going to manage it and stay sane I don't know!

How long have you been in Tassie? I hope you're pleased you made the move and that you've settled in well x

Hi

Wow! 2 months will fly by!

We made the move just over 3 years ago now, and can honestly say we've never had a moments regret.

i'm so pleased that we chose this as our new home as it suits us perfectly, the weather, the people, the pure beauty of the place...i could go on, lol

we have some freinds whos kids go to Taroona high school, and they have nothing but poitive things to say about it, and what a novelty, having your school right on the beach!

Our eldest went to Kingston high school, and we found it a great school also.

hope the anticipation of the move isn't killing you too much!

chris x

Hi

That's great to hear that you're so happy there! It really is a special place, isn't it? Hearing comments like yours really helps to get through this really hard bit. All I am doing at the moment is packing, sorting, planning and stressing, with the odd emotional farewell thrown in for good measure :frown:

Great to hear positive comments about both of the high schools. We love the Kingston area too so it's good to know we have options if Plan A doesn't work out! x

Taroona High looks like a wonderful high school. We hope to be able to find a house and primary school etc to feed into that high school.

You'll have quite a few primary schools to choose from - Taroona, Waimea Heights, Princes Street, Albuera Street, Mount Nelson and South Hobart - and they cover the suburbs of Taroona, Sandy Bay, Dynnyrne, Battery Point, Mount Nelson, Tolmans Hill, Ridgeway, South Hobart and Fern Tree. In addition, there are some other primary schools whose nearest high schools are single sex (Ogilvie High, girls, and New Town High, boys) and their students are also eligible for Taroona High if the parents prefer a coeducational high school. These additional primary schools are Campbell Street, Goulburn Street, Lansdowne Crescent and Mount Stuart and their catchment areas are central Hobart, Glebe, West Hobart, North Hobart and Mount Stuart.

I was thinking about your shopping options if you were living in Taroona and thought to mention that you also have the option of heading in the opposite direction from Sandy Bay...and going to Kingston. A bit of a windy road over Bonnet Hill from Taroona...but not very far. And very convenient for all the basics.

Thanks Skani. There seems to be a really good choice of primary schools (which is a relief!). I guess that where we will end up will depend upon where we can find a rental house. It's good to know that there are a few options though. It takes the pressure of a little!

I really liked Kingston for shopping etc so it's good to know it's easily accessible from Taroona.