PTE Academic Test vs IELTS Academic Test

emachaka6

Hello Everyone

I am a bit stuck! I am currently applying for 190 visa and want to do my skills assessment.

First - Does anyone know if the English Test PTE is now recognised for my visa application? As there is a centre stating that from 1 November 2014 the Aus immigration will now be recognising it...

Second - Do I need my Skills Assessment before lodging my EOI?

Thanks

Hi emachaka6,

Yes you will need your skills assessed - an EOI is not a visa, its just a system that holds your data so that once you have everything uploaded and submit, the government or State can view your EOI and decide on sending an invite. Not too sure on PTE yet, but if you sit the IELTS before Nov, you will get your results hopefully before Nov and start your application

I am currently applying for 190 visa. Does anyone know if the English Test PTE is now recognised for my visa application?

Hi

At the moment it says on the Department of Immigration website that only IELTS and OET are accepted.

It says...

You can receive 10 points for ‘proficient’ English and 20 points for ‘superior’ English. You must provide evidence of:

[*=1] Proficient English: a score of 7 on each of the four components of speaking, reading, listening and writing in an IELTS test, or a score of B on each of the four components of an OET

[*=1] Superior English: a score of 8 on each of the four components of speaking, reading, listening and writing in an IELTS test, or a score of A on each of the four components of an OET.

You can do a search for IELTS test centres here if the one nearest you is fully booked for the next test.

Good luck,

Pete

• 8 months later...

Basing on what I recently read from another forum, PTE is gaining ground against its competition like IELTS, and others. I think it is because mainly it is all done through computer so if one is computer literate then that will become an advantage to him since it will be easier for him to complete the results on time. IMHO

Hello Everyone

I am a bit stuck! I am currently applying for 190 visa and want to do my skills assessment.

First - Does anyone know if the English Test PTE is now recognised for my visa application? As there is a centre stating that from 1 November 2014 the Aus immigration will now be recognising it...

Second - Do I need my Skills Assessment before lodging my EOI?

Thanks

Hi ema,

According to my agent, PTE Academic test been accept by Australia government , perhaps they my agent asked me to take PTE test instead IELTS. Good luck

Raj

At the moment it says on the Department of Immigration website that only IELTS and OET are accepted.

It says...

You can receive 10 points for ‘proficient’ English and 20 points for ‘superior’ English. You must provide evidence of:

[*=1] Proficient English: a score of 7 on each of the four components of speaking, reading, listening and writing in an IELTS test, or a score of B on each of the four components of an OET

[*=1] Superior English: a score of 8 on each of the four components of speaking, reading, listening and writing in an IELTS test, or a score of A on each of the four components of an OET.

Just an update on this, it now says on the Department of Immigration website that other English language tests are also accepted: IELTS, OET, TOEFL iBT, PTE and CAE.

Pete

• 4 months later...
Guest jetandspade
Currently only IELTS or OET results are accepted for points towards visa applications.

Late 2013 other tests like PTE and TOEFL are allowed. However the Migration Statutory Regulations still state IELTS is the only test you can take.

Just an update on this, it now says on the Department of Immigration website that other English language tests are also accepted: IELTS, OET, TOEFL iBT, PTE and CAE.

Pete

The links I posted above are now out of date. The information can now be found here and here.

Pete