port noarlunga

thinker78

just after some advice- we have perhaps 12-18 months left in oz and we are currently living very far north due to my husbands job, which he will shortly leave, leaving us free to do whatever. we have met a few people down south and wondered if it's worth the hassle of having another 'go' in a beach suburb (it could persuade us to stay, who knows), or we may stay in the same spot. I have a child starting school in january and wondered what the feedback is for schools around port noarlunga? also on the general safety of the area?

thanks all.

Thinker78 have you tried posting in the Poms in Adelaide site? You might get a better response from there as so many people live down south that post on the site (well that is how it seems when you read some threads).

I myself grew up in Port Noarlunga South from age 2 to 25 and absolutely loved it. Mind you I moved to London in 2007 and have only been home twice since then and A LOT has changed about the area so I cant tell you much about it now, however back then I found it suited my needs perfectly. I went to school at Calvary Lutheran Primary School which is up the road from the major Colonnades centre (took about 1/2 hour with two bus changes from where we lived but it was easy to do back then) but went to school at Immanuel College not far from the Adelaide airport so I cannot comment on local schools (plus a lot more schools have opened in the time since I graduated PS and HS). The area itself was lovely back then - parks nearby, the beach on your doorstep (even if you didnt/dont want to swim you can still walk the cilff tops and enjoy the views - its also lovely to do in winter). Buses were so/so back then - every 20/30 min depending on where you lived - but again i dont know if that has changed.

I always loved living down south and when I lived in Thebarton for a while it just wasnt the same. In fact, my brother just recently re-bought the old family home a few years ago just so he could move back to the area with his family and my mum has moved from near Arndale shopping centre back down south after a few years away as well. We are moving back to that area when the visa comes through for my partner as well - I loved it there and hope raising our two kids there will be just as good for them as well.

I would definitely try the Poms in Adelaide site for more up to date information from other users as my feelings are all based on years ago experiences and even visiting a couple of years ago so much had changed.

It might be a good move. Lots of people seem happy down that way. I am not to sure on what schools are in that suburb but I am sure there are a few to choose from.

Hsve you checked out Naplan and ratings as a starting point? Of course its not the be all and end all or anything close to it but it gives you an idea of numbers, how they are doing Naplan wise and so on.

You can use this to check out which schools

http://bettereducation.com.au/school/Primary/sa/sa_primary_school_rating.aspx

also this

http://primary-school-ranking-adelaide-south-australia.street-directory.com.au/#search_schools

Personally I don't really like it down there enough to want to live there. But then no beachside suburb really appeals that much to me. I prefer being closer to the hills but from where we are we have easy access to the coast along there and it is stunning. There is a lovely village feel near the beach there, the jetty and reef add to it. Plus you have Colonnades shopping centre nearby. I can see why it appeals to some, just its not for us is all :)

It may be good to jump in and have a change, go enjoy the coast for a while and see how it appeals. If you are not really fussed about where you currently live, I'd be inclined to give a new area a go if it suits you and offers you more. Plus if it means you get to try coastal living and see how it stacks up or if it may help you in deciding to stay or return, then go for it. It sounds to me like the perfect time for a change of scene if it will tie in with school starting.

Have a day down there perhaps? Check out the beach, the local area, schools and so on and see what you think.

I don't dislike it, am there a few times a month for one thing and another. And the beach is great although we go to other ones also. Just prefer the hills to beach for living. And it's a little to far out down south for our lifestyle and wants/needs.

Given you are very far north I suspect pretty much anywhere would be an improvement for you. I'd have a bit of a day trip and drive down the coast to Port Noarlunga and check a few places out. Start at Semaphore and work your way down. If you like Port Noarlunga then why not give it a go. Just be aware that it is further south from Adelaide than Elizabeth is north of Adelaide. Personally I find anything south of Hallett Cove too far out, but I live just 9kms from the CBD and still feel a bit far away sometimes.

Hsve you checked out Naplan and ratings as a starting point? Of course its not the be all and end all or anything close to it but it gives you an idea of numbers, how they are doing Naplan wise and so on.

You can use this to check out which schools

http://bettereducation.com.au/school/Primary/sa/sa_primary_school_rating.aspx

also this

http://primary-school-ranking-adelaide-south-australia.street-directory.com.au/#search_schools

I don't like either of these websites for looking at Naplan results as they lump results for years 3, 5 and 7 together. This is not a problem if a school the results from the three years are similar in the rankings but if a school improves from year three to year seven it doesn't show on these. Similarly if a school drops down the rankings from year three to year seven you wouldn't know. I would be happy with a school that climbs the rankings but would avoid like the plague one that drops in the rankings.

For Naplan results look at myschool.edu.au. The results are not ranked as Australia does not do rankings, but you can get the Naplan results for each subject by year and it shows how the school compares to all schools and schools in similar socio economic areas. There is another website that ranks the schools for each year group but I can't find it at the moment. I will post back if and when I track it down.

Found it: http://house.ksou.cn. It also has information about the suburbs as well.

Edited by NicF
Found website.