Shipping from UK to Tas

Tastastic

Me again :smile:

So...we plan to ship our stuff (a container's worth) before we leave here. Long story but we have lots of spare furniture etc so instead of getting rid of it now, then arriving in Oz and buying more whilst we wait for all our good stuff to arrive, we'd like to ship ahead so that when we arrive in Oz we won't have too long to wait before we can unpack all our stuff.

Obviously the timing is going to be a bit tricky to organise and I've no doubt that the timing will be a bit off when it comes down to it! But I'm going to try to get our container to have arrived and gone through customs for as close as possible to when we arrive (I am going out a month or two earlier to hopefully secure a rental house).

Can anyone tell me how long it took for their container to arrive in Tas? After it arrived, how long before customs released it? And once it's released, does anyone know how much they charge for each extra day it remains with them?

Any input would be a great help. TIA

It took ours about 12 weeks to arrive to Tas in total (i.e. door to door). Depending on the shipping company you choose they will keep your belongings in storage here for a short while free of charge. Note that this is a *short* while - not months!

I used Doree Bonner who were very good. They have an arrangement with a Tas removal company ("Grace" from memory) who held our stuff for a week whilst we arranged delivery. So provided you're not "storing" your belongings with them but rather "arranging delivery at a suitable time" if that distinction makes sense, then I think you should be fine.

There are a few pages on my site (link in my signature below) that discuss shipping which may help. There are also contact details for Doree Bonner if you wanted to get a quote. I certainly learned lessons - not from shipping in isolation; more the combination of shipping and taking things in our suitcases on the plane.

Good luck!

Thanks for that. 12 weeks is what I had in mind, although I was hoping someone might say it actually took a lot less time than that! I'd better get a wriggle on [emoji16]

I'll definitely look at your shipping info. I've never even heard of Doree Bonner so I obviously have a lot to learn!

Thanks again.