MovingtoTasmania Recipe Thread

MovingtoTasmania

Since I have been asked to supply recipes for people and to save jamming up other threads, after having seen the poll results from the thread that I posted in CTF, I have started this thread, which @The Pom Queen has kindly offered to make in to a sticky.

To save confusion later on, I just feel that it's better that you all know that I might post e.g. 100 different chicken curry recipes under the name of Chicken Curry but they will all taste different. Same for Keema. I will start a glossary and tips section in this post so that I can keep editing and updating it as I post recipes as I'm aware that some people might be new to South Asian cooking and not understand terms or know which spices are which.

If anyone has any requests, then please to ask and I will post the recipe and as I cook things, if you want me too, I will post pictures.

In many of the recipes I will say use xx tblsp of ginger/garlic paste. The paste to which I refer is very quick and simple to make. It's simply a 5-5-1 ratio - 5 cloves of garlic, 5 birds eye green chillies (use bigger ones if you don't like hot curries or use less and deseed them), 1 inch of ginger. You can make a lot of this paste at once, using a liquidiser and store it in the fridge, where it will keep for about 5 days (this is if you're cooking curry every day, otherwise just make it up as you go along).

Storing fresh chillies and ginger. I buy chillies and ginger in bulk (who wants to be running to the shops every 3 minutes?) and simply peel the ginger and put it in to a bag in the freezer and then you can grate it (using a lemon zester grater) straight in to the curry you are making. For chillies, I do the same; store them in a bag in the freezer and take them out as you need them.

Spicy versus hot. Sometimes I will say that a curry is mild, in that it uses very few chillies or chilli powder. However it will still be spicy, as in use a lot of different spices. I differentiate between spicy and hot, and then further differentiate between heat-hot and chilli-hot.

Tempering. This is when you heat the oil and put whole spices, such as jeera, rai or similar in to the oil and once they start to splutter, then the oil is tempered.

Vindaloo. This style of cooking comes from Goa, which was colonised by the Portuguese and gets its name from the use of vinegar. It's not necessarily a hot curry, but it should certainly be spicy. There are a few different ways of cooking vindaloo and I will certainly try to make sure over the coming days/weeks/months/years(?) I try to ensure that I put down as many as possible.

Cooking to hand. Each person can cook the same curry in the same way and it will taste completely different as we all cook to our own hand. That is our taste and what we like.

Chicken - what to use? - Chicken should always be skinned unless I've said use un-skinned. The butcher will skin and chop it in to small pieces for you. Utilise all the chicken including the neck. Skinless, boneless thigh is very good to use and it can take the long cooking that some recipes require, but you can use breast too, if that's your preference. I prefer thigh but many people prefer breast.

Quorn. A very good alternative to chicken and can be used in all the chicken recipes instead of chicken.

Bhuna. Bhuna is not a curry, contrary to popular myth but actually a stage in the cooking process whereby the oil separates from the masala.

Balti. Again, a balti is not a curry but actually means "bucket" and derives from the pot used to cook with.

Karahi/Korai/Kadhai. This word curry derives from this which is the pot used to cook with.

Jalfrezi. Again this isn't actually a curry but the way of cooking the curry. That is the hot frying/stir frying that is required as you keep the chicken on the move to prevent it from burning at the bottom of the pot and also scrape any residue off the bottom.

Curd. Another word for yogurt.

Edited by MovingtoTasmania

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone has any requests, then please to ask and I will post the recipe and as I cook things, if you want me too, I will post pictures.

You mentioned several fish dishes the other day. Anything fishy I would be interested in.

Not to be demanding or nuffink but...you don't do mail order, do you? :laugh: I'm so over cooking! :wacko:

Suppose I will have to get my cooking mojo back before we dive into our frozen curry business. :wubclub:

This is a quick way of cooking a vindaloo and I haven't used vinegar in this recipe. It should take less than an hour from start to finish and uses fresh chicken. Chicken should always be skinned unless I have said otherwise. Try to source spring chicken if possible as to try to make this from boiler chicken will not be tasty at all as boiler chicken requires a long cooking time.

Peel about half a kilo of potatoes and cut into one inch cubes. Ask the butcher to prepare the chicken so that it's smallish, maybe 3 inch pieces or if using breast/thigh, cut into 3 inch pieces yourself. Place one large peeled onion, 5 cloves garlic, 1 inch piece of ginger and 6 green chillies (if you want less heat, then use kashmiri red chilli or larger chillies - the bigger the chilli, the less fiery it is) into a liquidizer and process till all chopped and mixed.

Heat the oil (now for the oil, you need it to cover the whole base of the pot so use quite a lot and use something light, or if you don't mind the rancid smell, use ghee). When the oil is very hot, add the processed onion mix to it and don't stir it yet, but simply shake the pot to distribute evenly. If you start to stir the onions immediately, they will start to release the juice and not fry but rather sweat which isn't what you want. Once they are sizzling away, you can stir. When they are golden brown (this takes a while, it can't be rushed, maybe even up to 10 minutes) then add 3 tsp tomato puree, 2 tsp haldi, 2 tsp red chilli powder (I use rajah extra hot chilli powder) 1 tsp garlic powder and 1 tsp ginger powder, 2 tsp garam masala (rajah's is very good) 2 tsp tandoori masala powder (using this for quickness) and then the chicken. Mix it all very very well as you want the chicken to be well coated with the mix (alternatively, you can even mix the powdered spices in the chicken when you take the chicken out of the fridge to come to room temp before cooking and then add it all in together). Lower the heat down to the lowest fire and simmer for about 10 mins, keep stirring every couple of minutes. Add about half a baby's bottle of water (5 oz?) and then bring to the boil, add the potatoes and simmer again for up to 40 mins (depending how hungry you are) or you can just wait till the potato is cooked but stir it every few minutes to prevent stickage. Always ensure that the pot is covered during the simmering. If you prefer a thicker masala (gravy), then at the end, when you add your chopped dhaniya (fresh one) then you leave the lid off and you can thicken it as the water will evaporate.

I will post more vindaloo recipes but I thought this would get @Mattw off to a bit of a start.

I have never had a recipe for a Shepherds Pie so one day, I thought I would give it a go but as I didn't know how to cook it, after a bit of trial and error, I came up with this recipe. It works well for quorn mince, beef, chicken and lamb. I should perhaps add to this, it is a curryfied Shepherds Pie :laugh:

Chop one large onion, or leek if you have any which also tastes good. Temper the oil with about half a tsp of cumin seeds, then add the chopped onion and 2 large sliced carrots. When they have cooked for a few minutes, add in about a good heaped tsp of garam masala and some cinnamon, just a couple of shakes of the bottle. Cook it for a couple of minutes then add the mince. When the mince is browned, sprinkle over a spoon of plain flour and cook it in then add stock (now I use a soup mug for making my stock and use half a soup mug full which I reckon is about 8 oz) along with some tomato puree, say 3 tblsp and Worcestershire sauce (about 1 to 2 tblsp, I shake it directly in to the pan, about 25-30 shakes) and then mix it all well. The sauce will really thicken nicely and then it's ready for the mashed potato topping. I use a mix of sweet potato and normal potato sometimes and sometimes I use celeriac and potato mashed. Then sprinkle with grated cheese, if you like it and put it in the oven to bake. It's delicious.

Edited by MovingtoTasmania

Guest The Pom Queen

You do know that this thread should be banned don't you. Admin hasn't been able to eat proper food for 15 months now and I'm drooling :cry:

You do know that this thread should be banned don't you. Admin hasn't been able to eat proper food for 15 months now and I'm drooling :cry:

@The Pom Queen If you are on a liquid diet, don't worry, as I have some recipes for very mushy, very mild (low chilli, not much spice, no salt) food, that is loaded with antioxidants, such as haldi and will put meat on ya bones. Please PM me with what you are allowed to eat and I will put some nourishing recipes up for you xx

MtT I`m trying to get that authentic british style look of the curry sauce where its like a broken look if you know what I mean ..........I`m sure its more to do with the onions , consistency and the way its blended .......I`ve been almost there ........even though everyone who had tried my curry loves and raves about it I feel its just "almost there" and always want to better myself , maybe you could help .....I will cook for you when you get here and in you honest opinion I would like you to tell me my faults , if any .........I wont be hurt as I like to get straight to the point .........

MtT I`m trying to get that authentic british style look of the curry sauce where its like a broken look if you know what I mean ..........I`m sure its more to do with the onions , consistency and the way its blended .......I`ve been almost there ........even though everyone who had tried my curry loves and raves about it I feel its just "almost there" and always want to better myself , maybe you could help .....I will cook for you when you get here and in you honest opinion I would like you to tell me my faults , if any .........I wont be hurt as I like to get straight to the point .........

I'm not sure what you mean by "broken" look. Are you wanting the masala (gravy) to look chunkier? Or be thicker? How you prepping the onions and getting the consistency you want at the moment? Because the amount of onions directly correlates to the amount of masala and the look of the masala.

I'm not sure what you mean by "broken" look. Are you wanting the masala (gravy) to look chunkier? Or be thicker? How you prepping the onions and getting the consistency you want at the moment? Because the amount of onions directly correlates to the amount of masala and the look of the masala.

the more I blend the better the look at the moment ........I just want to get the sauce right , could also have something to do with the oil ,I`m not sure , yes thicker ,chuncky texture for Madras /Vindaloo .......

Hey thats not because youre using that Pataks bottled curry paste you showed me??? :eek:

Edited by gee13

Hey thats not because youre using that Pataks bottled curry paste you showed me??? :eek:

no not at all , the Pataks paste I use goes down too well with everyone ,children , Jac , family , curry nights that we hold everyone brings a curry ,but they all love mine .........I add to the paste ...I don't mind using that at all but I do stop at these curry sauces ,they are garbage ............yes I`ve made it from scratch many a time but in a busy house like mine Pataks is a winner , sometimes I just don't have that extra hour to make the base curry .....my curry is that famous here and UK its actually in a cook book , I was so reluctant to hold on to my simple recipe but gave in last September for it to be published ...............:yes:

no not at all , the Pataks paste I use goes down too well with everyone ,children , Jac , family , curry nights that we hold everyone brings a curry ,but they all love mine .........I add to the paste ...I don't mind using that at all but I do stop at these curry sauces ,they are garbage ............yes I`ve made it from scratch many a time but in a busy house like mine Pataks is a winner , sometimes I just don't have that extra hour to make the base curry .....my curry is that famous here and UK its actually in a cook book , I was so reluctant to hold on to my simple recipe but gave in last September for it to be published ...............:yes:

Wow, that's a long time for cooking. I cooked all those curries in 2 hours yesterday! Golly.....

I'm not sure if Dhansaks are "real" outside of restaurants, but anything similar, with veggies, would be amazing!

Some vegetarian recipes would be great MTM please. Not too hot or spicy. I like garlic and lots of onion, Dahl is good and onion bhaji.

Thanking you in anticipation :)

Today I have been in a cba mood, but tomorrow I am going to post the recipes that everyone has requested. Can I just be a bit annoying and ask that we don't use this thread for general chitchat, but stick to the topic please? You request recipes or ask for help/advice but chitchat about Pataks sauces can be put elsewhere if you wouldn't mind xxxxx

I know that I've really neglected the thread this week, but I have been in hospital so I hope you all forgive me! Anyway, I'm back now so I've put today aside for updating the thread with a few recipes for you all. Please keep the requests coming :biggrin:. Also please all post your feedback when you've cooked any of the dishes :hug:

This is a nicely spiced dish that is very mild but doesn’t keep well so needs to be eaten on the same day as cooking really.

I have emboldened the ingredients used and will also list them here

Fresh spinach 500 grams

Frozen spinach 1 pack

Tinned spinach 1 can

Half a kilo chicken pieces

3 tblsp tomato puree

Whole Spices

Quarter tsp cumin seeds

Ground Spices

1 tsp ginger

1 tsp coriander

1 tsp fennel

1 tsp chilli

Quarter tsp cumin

Half to 1 tsp of garam masala (to taste)

If using fresh spinach, wash the leaves well and heat a tblsp of oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the leaves with a pinch of salt and cook down until they go pulpy but there is still a little bit of liquid left in the bottom of a pot.

If using frozen spinach, defrost it and then squeeze the excessive liquid out.

If using canned spinach then drain through a fine mesh strainer.

Heat oil to lightly cover bottom of clean saucepan and temper with quarter tsp of cumin seeds. When the seeds are spluttering, add half a kilo of chicken pieces and cover, cooking for about 10 mins until the chicken pieces are golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove the pot from the heat and add 1 tsp each of ground ginger, ground coriander, ground fennel, chilli. Add quarter tsp of ground cumin and half to 1 tsp of garam masala (to taste). Mix well and put pot back on heat then add 3 tblsp of tomato puree and fry for 1 min then add half pint of water. Cover and cook for another 10 mins until chicken is tender then add spinach and cook for 5 mins.

For @Lindor

Lots of people eat matar ki dhal (yellow split lentils) but there is a huge variety of dhal to be experimented with and tried.

Dhal is a good source of protein, low fat and therefore healthy and also contains fibre. There is no need to be bored with dhal as there is certainly a recipe for every day of the week so you don’t need to resort to the same old same old all the time. Personally, I don’t like soupy dhal or mushy dhal and the beauty is that you can cook it to how you want it. I cook dhal until the sauce if very thick as it’s lovely then with plain rice or roti and even better for breakfast with hot buttered toast.

250g Whole Brown Lentils

2 tsp sale

3tblsp oil

3 crushed garlic cloves

Three quarter inch piece of grated ginger

1 fine chopped onion

Half a tin of peeled, chopped tomatoes

2 tblsp lemon juice

1 or 2 whole chopped green chilli (to taste)

Handful of fine chopped coriander

Knob of buter

Whole Spices

Half tsp cumin seeds

Ground Spices

Half tsp ginger

1 tsp red chilli powder

Quarter tsp cumin

3 quarter tsp coriander

Half tsp haldi

Soak 250g of whole brown lentils overnight in 1 and a half litres hot water with 2 tsp of salt in a covered bowl. Boil the lentils in the soaking water until they are soft to how you want them to be. In another saucepan, heat 3 tblsp of oil and temper with half tsp of cumin seeds. Add 3 crushed garlic, 3 quarter inch piece of grated ginger and fry till lightly brown. Use a medium heat for this. Add a fine chopped onion (medium size) and fry till golden brown, might take 10 mins. Add half tsp ground ginger, 1 tsp chilli, quarter tsp ground cumin, 3 quarter tsp ground coriander, half tsp haldi. Stir for one min, then add half tin of chopped peeled tomatoes and cook down until a thick pulp is formed, about 5 mins or so. Add this mix to the dhal and bring to the boil. Half cover the pan with lid and simmer for 10 mins, stirring occasionally. Add 2 tblsp lemon juice, chopped green chilli (maybe 1 or 2 as it’s not supposed to be so hot, just nicely spiced), handful of chopped coriander and a knob of butter.

For @Lindor, you really must try this delicious dhal.

This is a very different flavour and taste to Saboot Masoor Dhal and well worth trying.

250g Red Split Lentils

1 large fine chopped onion

2 large peeled chopped tomatoes

1 and a bit inch of grated ginger

2 chopped green chillies

3 crushed garlic cloves

Fresh ground black pepper

Handful of fine chopped coriander leaves

2 tsp lemon juice

Whole Spices

Half tsp cumin seeds

Quarter tsp rai seeds

Ground Spices

1 tsp coriander

1 tsp ginger

1 and half tsp of haldi

Wash 250g of red split lentils and put in a deep saucepan with 1.2 litres of water, I large fine chopped onion, 2 large peeled and chopped tomatoes, 1 and bit inch of grated ginger, 1 and half garlic cloves crushed, 2 chopped green chillies, 1 tsp ground coriander, 1 tsp ground ginger, 1 and half tsp haldi. Cover half the pan with lid and bring to boil, then simmer for 15 mins and the lentils will double almost in size. They should be soft too. Heat small amount of oil in frying pan and add half tsp cumin seeds and quarter tsp rai seeds. As they sizzle and pop add 1 and half crushed garlic cloves and fry. Take off the heat, add to the dhal and allow to sizzle on surface then mix well. Add a handful of chopped coriander leaves, 2 tsp lemon juice, grinding of black pepper and serve.