MovingtoTasmania Recipe Thread

MovingtoTasmania

This is a quick, cheap and easy curry to make. The lemon juice really refreshes the palate and cuts through the spices nicely, for a tang of a sweet and sour taste. This keeps very well and is great as a side dish.

500g sweetcorn, defrosted if frozen or parboiled if taken off the cob

2 lemons

2 large fine chopped onions

1 and half tin of peeled chopped tomatoes

Half a pack of creamed coconut or a small tin of coconut milk

Garilic, ginger, chilli paste - see first post of thread

One whole bunch of fine chopped coriander

1 tsp chilli sauce or tomato ketchup, depending on whether you want a hot or mild dish

Whole Spices

1 tsp cumin

1 tsp rai

1 tsp coriander

1 tsp fennel

Ground Spices

1 heaped tblsp chilli powder

1 tsp haldi

1 tsp cumin

1 tsp rai

1 tsp coriander

1 tsp fennel

Garam Masala to taste, max should be 2 tblsp

Heat the oil and brown the onions, which takes about 10 mins. Add the ginger/garlic/chilli paste and the whole spices and cook, stirring until the raw smell is gone but don't burn the spices. Add the tomatoes, chilli powder and haldi and the juice of both lemons. Mix well. Add the coriander and mix well. Mix the sweetcorn in very well and make sure it's properly mixed in. Boil the kettle and using the cans of the tinned tomatoes add 2 cans of boiled water, the creamed coconut or coconut milk, and 1 tsp chillli sauce (or tomato ketchup for milder flavour). Bring to the boil then lower the heat to the lowest point, cover and cook for hour and half, stirring occasionally. If it starts to stick, add more hot water. Taste and garam masala, stir and serve.

This keeps very well and is delicious on a hot day, served with fresh roti or naan.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that I've really neglected the thread this week, but I have been in hospital so I hope you all forgive me! Anyway, I'm back now so I've put today aside for updating the thread with a few recipes for you all. Please keep the requests coming :biggrin:. Also please all post your feedback when you've cooked any of the dishes :hug:

Oh that's not good MTM, I hope you're well now! :hug: Thank you very much, I'll let you know how they turn out :smile:

For @Skani and @Bobj - this is a lovely fish dish, to serve with cumin potatoes and tomato salad it is a great instead of fish and chips. Well worth trying if you are a fish lover.

600g fish fillets skinned and cut into large 2 inch pieces - haddock and salmon work well for this so try with a fish similar to those

1 tblsp lemon juice

Three quarter inch piece of grated ginger

2 crushed garlic cloves

Small amount of fine chopped coriander

Flour

Ground Spices

1 tsp chilli powder

1 tsp coriander

Half tsp cumin

Half tsp fennel

1 tsp haldi

Mix the fish with the lemon juice to coat. In a bowl mix up all the ground spices with all the other ingredients and add the fish and lemon juice and coat well in the marinade. Cover and leave for at least 1 hour to marinate, in the fridge. Using the flour, dust each piece of fish and then shallow fry on each side for a few minutes until the fish is cooked through.

Oh that's not good MTM, I hope you're well now! :hug: Thank you very much, I'll let you know how they turn out :smile:

Thanks @Lindor, it was just a pesky check that I have to have done to make sure that the Big C isn't lurking around inside somewhere. On a positive note, I got some good sleep thanks to all the sedation etc! :smile::hug:

This is a great dish to go with the Sukhi Macchli and well worth trying out for perhaps a roast dinner with a twist. It's a more delicately spiced dish, as opposed to one with lots of heat as the flavours complement the potatoes very well.

600g peeled and 1 inch cubed potatoes

2 green chopped chillies

2 tsp lemon juice

Whole Spices

Half tsp rai

Half tsp cumin seeds

Ground Spices

1 tsp coriander

Half tsp cumin

Half tsp ginger

1 tsp haldi

Heat oil in heavy based pan on a medium heat and once hot, add the whole spices. When they sizzle, add the potato and fry until golden brown, about 10-15 mins. Add the ground spices and chillies and fry for a few more minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and about 3 oz of water then on a low heat, cover and cook until the potato is tender. Garnish with some chopped coriander and serve.

For @vickyplum. You requested a dhansak and lentils with other foods, both meat and vegetables, are a very popular combination. You didn't say how hot you like the food, so add more chilli accordingly if you would like, but I think this is a nicely spiced dish for you to try out as a first time. Don't be daunted by the list of ingredients; it looks a lot but it's well worth the effort. For this recipe, I've added some vegetables to it, such as butternut squash and cauliflower for the texture really, more than anything else.

60g channa dhal - yellow split chickpeas

500g chicken - I like to use a small whole chicken, skinned and cut into small pieces with the bones in, the butcher will do this for you

250g peeled, chopped butternut squash

1 large fine chopped carrot

Handful of cauliflower florets

If possible get some fresh curry leaves, or dried will do, but fresh is better

4 crushed garlic cloves

1 and half inch grated ginger

I large fine chopped onion

1 large fine chopped peeled tomato

1 tblsp tomato puree

1 large handful fine chopped corainder - reserve some for garnish

2 green chopped chillies

Whole Spices

Quarter tsp cumin seeds

1 and half inch cinnamon stick

2 bay leaves - see if you can get Indian bay leaves otherwise normal ones will do

Ground Spices

Half tsp fennel

half tsp cloves

Quarter tsp cumin

Half tsp coriander

half tsp ginger

Tsp or more to taste garam masala

1 tsp chilli powder

Half tsp haldi

Wash the channa really well and leave to soak overnight in plenty of water. Next day, put the channa, butternut squash, carrot and cauliflower into a large pan with a litre of water and then bring to boil. Half cover pan and cook on a medium heat until the channa is soft. You can then either process the mixture till smooth or just drain and leave. This is entirely up to you but the contrast of the channa and veg to the chicken is very nice if you decide to leave it.

Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat (use a heavy based pot) and add the whole spices, cloves and curry leaves. Fry for 30 seconds and then add the onions, ginger and garlic. Fry until the onion is light brown in colour, about 8 mins. Add the chicken and fry for a few mins. Then cover and cook for 10 mins, stirring occasionally until chicken is golden brown.

Take off the heat and add the ground spices, tomato, tomato puree and then put on heat and cook for 5 mins. Reduce heat to low and add the channa-vegetable mix and 250 ml water. Cover and simmer for 25 mins.

Mix the coriander in and green chilli. If the masala is too thick, add more water, if it's too thin, cook uncovered until the consistency you want is reached. Sprinkle coriander to garnish before serving.

@jasepom, you requested a jalfrezi style curry so here is one for you, which I personally love. You must make sure that you cook the spices properly as due to the quantity of ground spices, that raw flavour can hang around for a while, so don't try to rush it.

2 cloves chopped garlic

750g chicken thigh fillets, cut in half

1 grated onion - use food processor

1 tin peeled chopped tomatoes

3 inch piece grated ginger

Handful of fine chopped coriander

Whole spices

Half tsp cumin seeds

Ground spices

3 tsp haldi

1 tsp chilli powder

3 tsp cumin

3 tsp coriander

Heat the oil in a heavy based pan and add the cumin seeds. As they start to splutter add the onion and garlic and fry over a high heat for 2 mins. Add the chicken, haldi and chilli powder and fry gently for 10 mins till the chicken is golden brown, scraping the base of the pan and turning the chicken. Don't worry if the spices are sticking to the bottom, just scrape as you are turning the chicken. Add the tinned tomato and cover and cook on a medium heat for 20 mins. Uncover and simmer for 10 mins until the masala thickens and the excessive water evaporates. Add 2 tblsp of oil, cumin, coriander, ginger, fresh coriander and simmer for about 10 mins until the bhuna stage is reached - that is the oil will separate from the sauce. Add some garam masala if you wish then serve.

This is very nourishing and actually also mentioned in the Scriptures when Esau swapped his birthright with Jacob for pottage. So it must be good for you! Anyway, this is for @The Pom Queen and @Metoo, who are both in need of comfort at times :hug:

300g Brown lentils

1 fine chopped onion

2 tbsp bulgar wheat

1 tsp allspice

Put the lentils in a heavy based pan and cover with 1 litre of water. Bring to the boil over a medium heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for an hour until the lentils are soft. In a frying pan, heat some oil and add the onion, and fry for 5 mins until golden brown and soft. Remove from the frying pan and drain off the fat on kitchen paper then add to the lentils. Add another 250 ml of water along with the bulgar wheat and the allspice and simmer again for a further 20 mins. When this has finished cooking, it will be like a thick, moist porridge, very easy to eat and soothing and nourishing.

You can also add the following. Fry 2 fine sliced red onion rings and then add to the pottage as a garnish.

Guest The Pom Queen
This is very nourishing and actually also mentioned in the Scriptures when Esau swapped his birthright with Jacob for pottage. So it must be good for you! Anyway, this is for @The Pom Queen and @Metoo, who are both in need of comfort at times :hug:

300g Brown lentils

1 fine chopped onion

2 tbsp bulgar wheat

1 tsp allspice

Put the lentils in a heavy based pan and cover with 1 litre of water. Bring to the boil over a medium heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for an hour until the lentils are soft. In a frying pan, heat some oil and add the onion, and fry for 5 mins until golden brown and soft. Remove from the frying pan and drain off the fat on kitchen paper then add to the lentils. Add another 250 ml of water along with the bulgar wheat and the allspice and simmer again for a further 20 mins. When this has finished cooking, it will be like a thick, moist porridge, very easy to eat and soothing and nourishing.

You can also add the following. Fry 2 fine sliced red onion rings and then add to the pottage as a garnish.

Have you anything liquid form, that is high in protein but what can slide down and a couple of mouthfuls is all you need. I've had some very crude suggestions when I've asked certain people :laugh:

Have you anything liquid form, that is high in protein but what can slide down and a couple of mouthfuls is all you need. I've had some very crude suggestions when I've asked certain people :laugh:

If it's pure liquid, then I do have recipes and will post them for you @The Pom Queen. The pottage can be put in the blender but you need to make sure you add water to get the liquid consistency x

The Jalfrezi sounds tasty too, will have to have a dig through my spice tin. I don't like turnip that much but can imagine it would be much improved as part of a curry ;)

You're welcome :hug:. When I have more time next week @vickyplum I will post more lentil recipes; there's an amazing one dhal and turnip (I love turnips) and I think you'll like that one. Try out some of the others too :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
I can't eat spinach in any way unless it's pakoras, curry etc. Certainly not as just spinach on my plate or even as part of "English" food!!

Do you have the recipe for the spinach pakoras please? These recipes are marvellous thank you

Hi @weaver, glad you're finding them useful. I'm going to post some more again tomorrow as I've been collating some soups for TPQ so that she can get some proper nourishment. I'll put some different pakora ones on tomorrow, including fish etc., as well as spinach ones. Make sure that you always use besan when making pakoras as that gives the best texture and consistency :smile:

Thank you. Looking forward to your next batch eagerly.I have forwarded on a couple of your Dhal recipes to my daughter who is a vegetarian and loves cooking curries, the hotter the better. She is going to try them out and will let me know how she gets on.

Edited by weaver

• 3 weeks later...
MTt im still looking for that uk hot madras /vindaloo thick sauce with the broken effect on the top of the sauce ..........as if its been impregnated with a whale net and moved from side to side , slowly ......:wink:

I have no idea what you're on about but will post some recipes for you in the week hon. Good to see you back on the Forums :hug:

I have no idea what you're on about but will post some recipes for you in the week hon. Good to see you back on the Forums :hug:

thanks MTt , its hard to explain but I`m sure many will know what I`m on about ..........the whale nets was just a on going joke from 2 months ago ......I didn't realize you had a short memory .......:wink:

thanks MTt , its hard to explain but I`m sure many will know what I`m on about ..........the whale nets was just a on going joke from 2 months ago ......I didn't realize you had a short memory .......:wink:

You're having a laugh, I can't remember what happened 2 hours ago :wink:. I'll post some recipes, try them out and then see if you get the effect. Also don't forget, it's going to be different again, dependent on whether you use fresh tomatoes, chopped tinned or whole tinned too

You're having a laugh, I can't remember what happened 2 hours ago :wink:. I'll post some recipes, try them out and then see if you get the effect. Also don't forget, it's going to be different again, dependent on whether you use fresh tomatoes, chopped tinned or whole tinned too

I got a hunch that it may have something to do with the onions , the blend .......? :policeman:....