Moving to Adelaide - Need Advice

Engrauyon

Hi all,

We have got the 176 visa and are planning to move on late September 2014. Could you please provide me with some advice like -

1. Which one should be the best area to live for a family of 4 (two little children aged 8 and 2)

2. How much would it cost to rent?

3. Is it possible to rent it BEFORE our arrival so that we can go there straight away?

4. where can I get help in renting the ideal home?

Thanks in advance for your kind cooperation.

Hi all,

We have got the 176 visa and are planning to move on late September 2014. Could you please provide me with some advice like -

1. Which one should be the best area to live for a family of 4 (two little children aged 8 and 2)

2. How much would it cost to rent?

3. Is it possible to rent it BEFORE our arrival so that we can go there straight away?

4. where can I get help in renting the ideal home?

Thanks in advance for your kind cooperation.

hello Engrauyon,

You will be able to research rental costs using domain.com.au or realesate.com.au. These will give you weekly prices. The estate agents are unlikely to let you a place before you land. They will expect you to view the property. Consider getting a short term (holiday) property for 2/3 weeks first. That way you can research (visit) the areas and see which ones meet you needs.

Good luck with your move. Hotrod

Hi Engrauyon,

you could book a cheap hotel, motel or hostel for 1 or 2 weeks. Google it and you'll find some opportunities in Adelaide.

It's not a good idea to rent in advance anyway due to the fact that some rentals are real rat traps! Out dated and/or old and not suitable for kids and the advertisement is not always the truth.

You'll best get a feeling by going there when you're already here. SA has still affordable places to stay, search the suburbs and you'll be fine after arriving.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the above comments. I viewed some 'lovely' places from the pictures, but when I got there they were horrible. Be prepared that they have 'open viewings' in Oz and that when you turn up to view the rental of your dreams there may be many other people there having a look too! There can be tough competition so you may end up not getting the one you wanted.

It's been a while since I lived in Adelaide, but nice areas to consider (and where I lived) are Golden Grove, Greenwith, Salisbury Heights. They were 'affordable' for our price range. There were cheaper areas such as Elizabeth and Modbury, and very expensive areas like Mawson Lakes, Henley Beach and West Lakes. I guess it all depends on your financial circumstances and whether you prefer to be close to a beach, in the countryside of the Adelaide Hills, or close to the shopping malls in the suburbs. The lovely thing about Adelaide is that you are only about a 40 minute drive from any of these (well, I was!).

If your budget can afford it, try and book in to a motel for two-three weeks and treat that as part of your honeymoon period. Have a good look round and find an area that you like with schools that you like and have availability. It may not suit the family to find a great rental and then find the local school has no places for your 8 year old.

Being newbies in Oz you won't have references for rentals and some landlords may prefer to take someone who does. If you have rented before then try and get a reference on headed paper to take with you. If not, take some photos of your current home and garden and show them how you kept your previous home. This is the only thing we could revert to with one of the places that we really wanted, and thankfully, it worked.

Edited by Rachel Tilley
remove certain wording

• 1 month later...

Hi Engrauyon, me and my partner will hopefully be moving next September-ish, and are also after advice. Are you planning on hiring a container and taking all your furniture, or renting a furnished property in oz? Anyone with any advice about the price difference between furnished rentals to unfurnished ones please. Trying to solve a discussion :-)

Hi Engrauyon, me and my partner will hopefully be moving next September-ish, and are also after advice. Are you planning on hiring a container and taking all your furniture, or renting a furnished property in oz? Anyone with any advice about the price difference between furnished rentals to unfurnished ones please. Trying to solve a discussion :-)

Long term furnished rentals are not the norm. You may find an apartment in the CBD or some such but not sure about the suburbs. Check realestate.com.au SA for rental options to give you an idea.

Fwiw we shipped about 8 items of furniture, no white goods or large electrical goods like TV's. Only small items like kettle, lamps etc. Oh and my iMac. We also shipped personal effects, bikes and a few other things. Bedding, towels and other household stuff were high on my list to ship due to cost and quality here in Aus. Plus we shipped our bed and therefore bedding as beds are different sizes here so wanted to ensure it all fitted.

End of the day, what works for one won't for another. Weigh up when you plan to ship and you actually depart, how long you will be without your stuff at either end, cost of shipping or replacing once there etc. We could manage 3 months with just our luggage as we stayed with family. Would have shipped sooner UK side if not so less time to be without in Aus.

Eta - there are many threads on the to ship or not ship around the forum. Have a browse or use the forum search to turn them up :)

Edited by Guest
added more

• 3 weeks later...
I agree with the above comments. I viewed some 'lovely' places from the pictures, but when I got there they were horrible. Be prepared that they have 'open viewings' in Oz and that when you turn up to view the rental of your dreams there may be many other people there having a look too! There can be tough competition so you may end up not getting the one you wanted.

It's been a while since I lived in Adelaide, but nice areas to consider (and where I lived) are Golden Grove, Greenwith, Salisbury Heights. They were 'affordable' for our price range. There were cheaper areas such as Elizabeth and Modbury, and very expensive areas like Mawson Lakes, Henley Beach and West Lakes. I guess it all depends on your financial circumstances and whether you prefer to be close to a beach, in the countryside of the Adelaide Hills, or close to the shopping malls in the suburbs. The lovely thing about Adelaide is that you are only about a 40 minute drive from any of these (well, I was!).

If your budget can afford it, try and book in to a motel for two-three weeks and treat that as part of your honeymoon period. Have a good look round and find an area that you like with schools that you like and have availability. It may not suit the family to find a great rental and then find the local school has no places for your 8 year old.

Being newbies in Oz you won't have references for rentals and some landlords may prefer to take someone who does. If you have rented before then try and get a reference on headed paper to take with you. If not, take some photos of your current home and garden and show them how you kept your previous home. This is the only thing we could revert to with one of the places that we really wanted, and thankfully, it worked.

Hello,

I am Chris, I got my visa 489 granted. will be going to Sydney for 2 weeks in December then will reach Adelaide approx. 16th Dec. From then, I dunno where to go. My wife and my dog will be joining me in Feb, so giving me time to settle down and find a house for us. But before that, I will have to find a short term acc or something else. I know that there are families that give accommodation for cheap price but I forgot how we call them, host families may be. I'll be alone for 2 months, easier for me.

Any tips on your side? Regarding accommodation, health insurance, where to live in Adelaide, etc?

Thx,

cheers

Dear All,

I am Chris,got my visa 489 granted. will be going to Sydney for 2 weeks in December then will reach Adelaide approx. 16th Dec. From then, I dunno where to go. My wife and my dog will be joining me in Feb, so giving me time to settle down and find a house for us. But before that, I will have to find a short term acc or something else. I know that there are families that give accommodation for cheap price but I forgot how we call them, host families may be. I'll be alone for 2 months, easier for me.

Any tips on your side? Regarding accommodation, health insurance, where to live in Adelaide, etc?

Thx,

cheers

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, no haven't moved yet looking at booking our flights for June. Hopefully we are staying with a family friend for a few weeks while we look around. Still in two minds what to ship though, we're renting our house out in January and moving in with my mum so gonna probably see then what we really want to keep and sell and what our family can store for us. Thinking about using the move a cube company or Anglo pacific. When are you moving Susan? X

We're hoping around the same time but I think we have finally settled on Perth for our destination but we still haven't actually applied for our visa's yet. My fiance's trade was done back in the YTS days with the council and no one can find his trade papers so he has had to sit the AQF III which he has now completed and they are coming out to assess him on the 8th Dec - only then can we do the TRA Skills Assessment and then submit our EOI. Feel like we are just jumping through hopes and haemorrhaging money left right and centre. I ha a look at the Cube but trying to get anyone to call me abck was a nightmare. Did they give you a cost? xx