Good primary schools on Central Coast

meaty

Hi there,

I'm new to the Blue Bay/ The Entrance area and am looking for good primary schools for my kids. Unfortunately, I haven't heard anything good about the state schools in the immediate area and someone suggested the Catholic school at Bateau Bay instead.

Does anyone know of good primary schools in the area - state or private? and with respect to the Catholic school, I am not religious so does anyone know if my children would even be able to attend and also how much religious teaching there is over and above a standard RE class ( I'm Ok with the kids having a Religious Education class but how much of a religious focus is there in day to day activities...e.g do they do mass/liturgy or that kind of thing? - sorry, that might sound naive but I have no experience of religious schools).

I heard Central Coast Grammar school is great but has fees to match. I'm happy to pay fees for a good school but would prefer a decent school with a reasonable fee if such a thing exists :-)

thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, did you manage to find anything out about good schools? We moved to the coast a couple of months ago and are thinking about buying a house but thinking of the future we're interested in knowing where any good schools are. We also heard that another catholic school (maybe in Tuggerah) was good but we've not heard much else.

Cheers

soph

Guest littlesarah

IME, there's a lot of snobbery about schools. Have you had a look on the my schools website? Most of it is pretty useless, but the student gain' graphs tell you a lot how the children have progressed (as measured by NAPLAN) from years 3-5. I would use that as an indicator, with other factors.

If you search for a school's website, it will tell you what the expectations etc are. Though personally I would expect a religious school to impart a significant degree of religion in its everyday activities. There are several independent schools in various locations, including RC, Anglican, Baptist, Adventist & secular. I can't advise from personal experience, because my little one isn't at school yet. We'll probably send him to Wamberal Public, because it's close & is said to be good.

Hi there, I have done some research but still haven't really made a decision. From what I've been told the public schools around The Entrance/Berkeley Vale/Tumbi Umbi/Bateau bay are not too good and I've been told to avoid them if at all possible. I've heard much better things about the public schools further down the coast though so it could be a case by case basis.

Re the private schools the Central Coast Grammar looks fantastic but at $10k for kindy year you'd want it to be! Other options are the Lakes Grammar in Wyong. That has a good rep and fees start around $4.5k. Its an Anglican school so there is a religious focus so not sure how you feel about that. I got the Catholic schools education office to send me a fee schedule and their fees start at $2.5k for kindy year and catholic schools in general seems to have a good rep - again, there is obviously a religious focus.

Its such a difficult decision isn't it! I think the best thing to do would be contact the school/s you are interested in directly and organise a tour and have a chat to them. I think thats the only way we'll be able to form an accurate opinion of them by actually going there and having a look. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Hi - Just seen this thread. We moved to the Coast in January this year, previously we had been in Adelaide. I have my son at the Central Coast Adventist and LOVE it. yes, it is a fee paying school but for us 100% worth it. Feel free to inbox me if you want any further info x

I have had 3 children at the Adventist School and it has been great for all three of them. When one of my sons developed serious health issues the support we received and still do was unbelievable, we spent so much time in hospital the staff offered to make dinners for us etc... I would definitely look into it especially as they can start in Kindy and stay right through to Yr 12! Good luck and all the best!

• 5 months later...