We have been in South Australia for 15 years, own our own business which we may be selling soon and have always fancied holidaying in Tas with a view to possibly settling there. Our boys are now 20 & 22 so we (well, me really :wink:) are doing a runner and leaving them here.

Can anyone answer, why you moved to Tas in the 1st place and what keeps you there?

Had a quick glance at real estate and came across an awesome 5 bedroom house going for $186k, that is a ridiculous price, if I had the money I would buy it now as a rental with the option of moving in when/if we are ready. Is this the norm?

Btw we hail from Hartlepool, a not very glamorous place in the N.E. of England, this alone should explain why we left U.K.

Steve

I think the house price you have seen is for a rural property in a remote area if that is the case then yes that is a fairly typical price for a property. I dont think I can define why move to Tassie and what it is that will keep you herejust come to Tassie and find out for yourself.

I intend to do just that 'debeef' as soon as able to -probably next year now but, you never know. the house i saw is in Ravenswood. After a bit more research it may not be the area for us but nearby looks pretty good.

I think initially we will probably hire a motor home and cruise around for a few weeks, I'm certainly not going to buy just 'cos it looks like a bargain -theres normally a good reason for low prices eh?

the house i saw is in Ravenswood. After a bit more research it may not be the area for us but nearby looks pretty good.

I think initially we will probably hire a motor home and cruise around for a few weeks, I'm certainly not going to buy just 'cos it looks like a bargain -theres normally a good reason for low prices eh?

Ravenswood has a poor reputation in Launceston. Mostly Housing Department (social welfare) homes and seen (maybe unfairly?) as the centre of anti social, undesirable behaviour. Hence the low price. Hobart has its equivalent - Bridgewater, Gagebrook etc. where you will also find cheap housing.

A motor home and cruise around is an excellent idea to see what's around and which areas appeal to you.

I'm here as a result of my parents. :biggrin: My English mother couldn't stand the heat and humidity of the north coast of New South Wales, came here to visit my father's relatives...and loved it. TBH I think my Australian father, who had returned from several years in the UK, also found the Tassie climate much more to his liking and never had any desire to return to the mainland. I've lived in Adelaide and Sydney but feel much more at home here. Love the climate, the 4 seasons, a slower paced life, great food (and wine, cider, beer and whisky :wink:), a greater sense of community, ease of access to everything - the city, beaches, mountains, countryside - very little commuting, beautiful (often stunning) natural landscapes.

The only thing I dislike is (most of) the politicians. But that's a problem everywhere!

Edited by Skani
Grammar!

Thank you Skani and runslikeafish, i appreciate your comments. Looking forward to putting our plans in action and seeing for ourselves,

runslikeafish - with a moniker like that, does that mean you are a keen fisherman? I bought a boat a while back and dont really get to use it much here -not too many fish unless you travel a bit. One thing I didi notice about Tas is the amount of rivers and estuaries. is it a place worthwhile having a boat? I did get in to freshwater fishing in UK and really enjoyed it -so relaxing- but if the fish are around i also like to go on the boat -Quintrex 4.75m so not too big-an dlook for bigger fish.

One thing I didi notice about Tas is the amount of rivers and estuaries. is it a place worthwhile having a boat? .

Oh...definitely! There's fishable water everywhere. :wubclub: Tasmania has the highest percentage of boat ownership of any Australian state.

When you are touring here, tune in to ABC Local Radio around 10.45 each Friday morning for the fishing report - what's fishing where all around the state. There's often advice also on the best tackle, lures, methods to use for the different species. Even as a non-fisherperson I find it quite entertaining. :biggrin:

I'm not a big fisherman but most of my friends are. Everything from freshwater to crayfish to tuna. Also probably 10 of my friends have boats and all of my friends know someone (usually lots of people) with a boat. Tassie is a fantastic place to own a boat!

Hardly any people...Beautiful scenery and wildlife...simple life feel...would be even better if we didnt have a parasitic state Govt...Beats the rest of crowded Oz hands down as long as you have a way of making an income outside..

One thing I didi notice about Tas is the amount of rivers and estuaries. is it a place worthwhile having a boat? I did get in to freshwater fishing in UK and really enjoyed it

Hi stevenkaz: Thought you might be interested in this segment on trout fishing which aired on TV here on Friday night.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-02/celebrating-the-anniversary-of-trout-in-tasmania/5427886

Lots of boats on the highland lakes chasing trout.

Hardly any people...Beautiful scenery and wildlife...simple life feel...would be even better if we didnt have a parasitic state Govt...Beats the rest of crowded Oz hands down as long as you have a way of making an income outside..

Exactly the reasons I'm moving there! (And the surf is better with less people and much better fishing!)

We're planning to move there for much the same reasons as everyone else - the stunning scenery, the friendliness of the people, the space and lack of congestion, just the general feel of the place. It's a special place.

Jonathancowen, please tell me about the surf! I keep meaning to ask about it. Pleased to hear you seem to rate it.

We are moving to Tassie early October and are so confused about where to go! I really need to be within visiting distance of Lonnie as my friend is ill but not too keen on the area. We thought of Ulverstone or Burnie but it's a bit far for her to do return trip at the moment (chemo for multiple myeloma) but we'd both prefer to be in Hobart LOL. I have lived in SE Queensland for 32 years and am at Sunshine Coast at the moment which is new for me but near my daughter, having spent an absolutely wonderful 11 months renting a unit overlooking Paignton Harbour in Devon. We are so missing the beautiful weather there and I am drained here back in this heat.

to make matters more complicated we need a furnished place as we now have stuff here and stuff stored in UK and there are mo places to rent in Hobart. Where is the happy medium?

I really need to be within visiting distance of Lonnie as my friend is ill but not too keen on the area.....

to make matters more complicated we need a furnished place as we now have stuff here and stuff stored in UK and there are mo places to rent in Hobart. Where is the happy medium?

I take it employment is not an issue for you? If you want to be near the coast have you looked at the Port Sorell area near Devonport? Or along the West Tamar? It's not Launceston, but within reasonable travelling time.

I assume you mean there are no furnished places to rent in Hobart (plenty of furnished). Furnished places are generally rare all over.

Edited by Skani
addition

Hi sorry for the delay. It's open to a lot of swell directions and its a realistic option to be on the East coast and say "Nah, not big enough" and then drive to the WEst coast and surf that. Also it's open to the Antarctic swells which if the Arctic swells are anything to go by, pack much more pounch than the stuff that the Sunshine Coast picks up! (Today, 6ft @ 16secs = FLAT!)

Another big factor is the crowd, there isn't one! I drove past 20miles of clean shoulder high beach break on our last trip there and saw 4 people out! Of course if you want a crowd I'm sure you can find one.

We're planning to move there for much the same reasons as everyone else - the stunning scenery, the friendliness of the people, the space and lack of congestion, just the general feel of the place. It's a special place.

Jonathancowen, please tell me about the surf! I keep meaning to ask about it. Pleased to hear you seem to rate it.

I take it employment is not an issue for you? If you want to be near the coast have you looked at the Port Sorell area near Devonport? Or along the West Tamar? It's not Launceston, but within reasonable travelling time.

I assume you mean there are no furnished places to rent in Hobart (plenty of furnished). Furnished places are generally rare all over.

It should have read 'more' places to rent that are furnished in Hobart. Much easier there.

• 3 weeks later...

So why Tasmania?

Why NOT Tasmania more to the point! :jiggy: I don't speak as someone who was born an raised here and as i've shouted out on a different forum, we've been here 18 months and it's been an incredible experience. That said, we have also made sure that we make to most of every weekend. We head out and do something, go somewhere every opportunity we can. We began with the 60 Great Short walks, hit the beaches in summer, Salamanca for culture and evenings. We're pretty sad so we got the Entertainment book to see what voucher savings we could make. In short, we love it, but i guess its all something that you MAKE happen, not just fall into.

Hope your move(s) all happen when and how you need them to,

Hockyak - www.abritintas.blogspot.com.au

That's a coincidence, we live in Buderim, used to spend a lot of time in Devon and are moving to Launceston area in the next few months also! Can't wait!!!

We are moving to Tassie early October and are so confused about where to go! I really need to be within visiting distance of Lonnie as my friend is ill but not too keen on the area. We thought of Ulverstone or Burnie but it's a bit far for her to do return trip at the moment (chemo for multiple myeloma) but we'd both prefer to be in Hobart LOL. I have lived in SE Queensland for 32 years and am at Sunshine Coast at the moment which is new for me but near my daughter, having spent an absolutely wonderful 11 months renting a unit overlooking Paignton Harbour in Devon. We are so missing the beautiful weather there and I am drained here back in this heat.

We are moving to Tassie early October and are so confused about where to go! I really need to be within visiting distance of Lonnie as my friend is ill but not too keen on the area. We thought of Ulverstone or Burnie but it's a bit far for her to do return trip at the moment (chemo for multiple myeloma) but we'd both prefer to be in Hobart LOL....

I doubt you'll find any furnished places in Tassie. In fact I thought they were rare all over Australia, except for Executive lets and serviced apartments - are they more common in Qld? Could you rent furniture from a rental place like Rent the Roo or Mr Rental? I know it's not cheap, but rent on an unfurnished place + a furniture package would still be cheaper than a serviced apartment, especially in Tasmania.

From memory, it's less than 3 hours' drive from Hobart to Launceston.