• Homes Down Under
    Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Title
      Liked
      433 times
      Rep

Adelaidians going back to UK

hi there
      I have posted on other threads but would be keen to hear from other SA crew who are heading back to the UK. I don't know anyone in this situation and would love to swap stories, maybe over a coffee or just online.
      We should be heading back next year...no fixed date and lots to tie up.
      look forward to hearing from anyone in our situation
      thanks!

Title
      Liked
      393 times
      Rep
      Hi thinker 78,

I've seen some of your posts on the main website but just come onto the Adelaide one to see what's happening! Yes, I'm planning on going back to England at the end of next year once my daughter finishes school. I've been separated for past few years (husband also English) and have 2 teenagers who both want to come back with me. Been here 12 years this April.

I've never felt like I've belonged here and miss England so much and been back just once and found it hard to return to Australia. I'm very excited but also very scared that I might end up being disappointed but it's something I need to do. Am planning on spending this year paying off debts accumulated after separating and next year saving for moving - it's a plan!

Would love to talk more about experiences etc.

Title
      Liked
      34 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by thinker78 View Post
      hi there
      I have posted on other threads but would be keen to hear from other SA crew who are heading back to the UK. I don't know anyone in this situation and would love to swap stories, maybe over a coffee or just online.
      We should be heading back next year...no fixed date and lots to tie up.
      look forward to hearing from anyone in our situation
      thanks!
      What part of the UK are you going too?

Title
      Liked
      61 times
      Rep
      We are also heading back to the UK next year, been here 2 years and a bit and have lots of friends but still feel I do not fit in.

Title
      Liked
      4 times
      Rep
      Hi all
      y y y
      im in London and its raining
      i repeat y

Title
      Liked
      12 times
      Rep
      I just went back after 12 years away and i must say apart from the traffic i really enjoyed it. I usually settle back into Adelaide again very quickly after previous trips but i have found it very different on return this time. I feel it seems very quiet and isolated and almost like a time warp. Maybe i need to move to the east coast or something or into Adelaide city. I certainly am missing the pubs and affordable eateries.

Title
      Liked
      12 times
      Rep
      I reckon you should go back with a view to have a feel to see how you like it again long term. If you have your citizenship you can always return if you desire or need to. If you have family and friends in the UK it makes it much easier to settle back in. Living in a nice place and an ability to travel to the continent can make all the difference.

Title
      Liked
      393 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by ozglenn View Post
      I just went back after 12 years away and i must say apart from the traffic i really enjoyed it. I usually settle back into Adelaide again very quickly after previous trips but i have found it very different on return this time. I feel it seems very quiet and isolated and almost like a time warp. Maybe i need to move to the east coast or something or into Adelaide city. I certainly am missing the pubs and affordable eateries.
      To me it's just like a big country town and yes in a time warp, everybody knows everybody, and miles away from anywhere! Will admit I hated it to start with because of all that but have mellowed over the years and developed a bit of affection for it now. I reckon it's a not such a bad place to live when you have a young family but my kids are growing up now and want a bit more excitement and to be somewhere a bit different and to be honest .......so do I!

Maybe you should try Melbourne?

Title
      Liked
      12 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Katie22 View Post
      To me it's just like a big country town and yes in a time warp, everybody knows everybody, and miles away from anywhere! Will admit I hated it to start with because of all that but have mellowed over the years and developed a bit of affection for it now. I reckon it's a not such a bad place to live when you have a young family but my kids are growing up now and want a bit more excitement and to be somewhere a bit different and to be honest .......so do I!

Maybe you should try Melbourne?
      I do like Melbourne but it same story if you live in the burbs over there. I guess Victoria has more towns to visit than SA does with easy reach of Melbourne. The dilemna i would face is a move to Melbourne would mean more housing costs and not much more pay in my job.

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      525 times
      Rep
      Be thankful for what you have in Australia. Don't move back to England unless you are 110% sure. I repeat 100% sure. The grass is not greener believe me.

•  
    Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast