Adelaidians going back to UK

thinker78

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldn't mind living in a big country town where everybody knows everybody else. It would be liking living in the villages I grew up in in The New Forest. I went back to England and had a great time, though it took me a while to settle after eighteen years in OZ.

Going back is wonderful for some but unsettling for others, particularly those who realize that they liked OZ after all. And going back to 'live' is not the same as going for a holiday when everything seems so pleasant and free from cares.

But not everyone goes back because they hate Australia, they just don't want to live there anymore - plain and simple.

The difference between Adelaide and the New Forest is that it's a bit easier and cheaper to escape the New Forest when you want a change of scenery.

• 3 months later...

There's nothing "wrong" with Adelaide/ S.A/ Australia... Plenty right with it. True, you need to be immersed in a place for a while to get the full picture of it. Hard when you're always tempted to reference it with something better.

It's not being settled that's the problem.

And no place can make up for your inability to adapt to it. Life always returns to normal. Achieving the normal takes time. Living the highs in a new place is what people expect ad infinitum. And then they end up craving the old and predictable??? Someone mentioned about being realistic and setting realistic expectations. If only we approached everything like this! Moving countries is always an escape for people. We should expect that it may end up making us feel even more isolated and heighten some more familiar issues we experienced back home. For us on here, we are actually very lucky we have the options and the ability to live in two very good countries. That in itself is a wonderful freedom enjoyed by very few.

• 9 months later...
There's nothing "wrong" with Adelaide/ S.A/ Australia... Plenty right with it. True, you need to be immersed in a place for a while to get the full picture of it. Hard when you're always tempted to reference it with something better.

It's not being settled that's the problem.

To be fair, it's pretty easy to reference something better than adelaide, the place is unique, and that's not a compliment.

To be fair, it's pretty easy to reference something better than adelaide, the place is unique, and that's not a compliment.

Just got back from shopping , lovely fresh food, gone into the backgarden , lots of butterflies and birds flying around , lovely sunshine , not too hot Tomorrow plan to go into the city using the bus and oban ,( all free as we are pensioners ) walk through one of the best botanical gardens (as a uk friend once called it )into a lovely small city This is something we enjoyed also when we came to Adelaide 32 years ago , so it,s not just because we are ancient that we love Adelaide , and yes we have seen nearly all of Australia, Cairns Melbourne and Perth being favourites

I like Adelaide, too. I have never lived there but if I had to choose somewhere other than Melbourne I think Adelaide would be it. I also like Brisbane, but not the climate, too sticky for me- prefer Adelaide's dry heat. Also you can drive North into the outback and that appeals to me too.

Just got back from shopping , lovely fresh food, gone into the backgarden , lots of butterflies and birds flying around , lovely sunshine , not too hot Tomorrow plan to go into the city using the bus and oban ,( all free as we are pensioners ) walk through one of the best botanical gardens (as a uk friend once called it )into a lovely small city This is something we enjoyed also when we came to Adelaide 32 years ago , so it,s not just because we are ancient that we love Adelaide , and yes we have seen nearly all of Australia, Cairns Melbourne and Perth being favourites

agree , it's great for retiree's.

Have they switched the water mist back on in the tropical house dome at the botanical gardens or is it still dry ?

Have they switched the water mist back on in the tropical house dome at the botanical gardens or is it still dry ?

Last time i was in there,they hadn,t but that has been off for a long time now around the time when they stopped charging you to go in there, but every thing seems to be looked after well

Great place for retirees? So where do the blokes who play for the SA AFL clubs go when they finish their playing careers? Move interstate until they reach 60?

Great place for retirees? So where do the blokes who play for the SA AFL clubs go when they finish their playing careers? Move interstate until they reach 60?

Plenty of people here of all ages Maryrose. Deryans didn't get on with Adelaide and thinks because he doesn't like it then everyone else shouldn't either. And he really struggles with the idea that intelligent, capable people could like an area he doesn't so has to then insult everyone who feels differently to him about the place. While he makes some good points about the insular nature of the place and the inward looking attitude and resistance to change that seems to dominate here he spoils it all by being condescending and insulting to the people who either disagree, don't care or agree wholeheartedly but still love Adelaide anyway.

Plenty of people here of all ages Maryrose. Deryans didn't get on with Adelaide and thinks because he doesn't like it then everyone else shouldn't either. And he really struggles with the idea that intelligent, capable people could like an area he doesn't so has to then insult everyone who feels differently to him about the place. While he makes some good points about the insular nature of the place and the inward looking attitude and resistance to change that seems to dominate here he spoils it all by being condescending and insulting to the people who either disagree, don't care or agree wholeheartedly but still love Adelaide anyway.

lots of assumptions there nicf, most incorrect, totally agree I dislike adeliade for a number of reasons, nepotism, croynism, unprofessional child protection, cliques, amazing incompetence, mates of mates clubs, massive economic miss-management, dysfunctional leadership at state, council and local, isolation and lack of community, huge looming ICE proplems , sadly Adelaide should have alot more going for it, but it does not.

Before you move there , you should think about why is that, why does a place such as this, and on the face of it, such amazing resources , underperform so badly ? Maybe it's not as good as it looks ?

I took my autistic boy out of the so called system in adelaide and moved him to east sussex/kent in the uk, and he is thriving, it is such a weight off of our shoulders, for once we feel there is a light at the end of the tunnel, no amount of effort in adelaide worked, and he is a brilliant high functioning chap that is treasured in the UK system yet disregarded in SA.

Wrong on so many counts, SA's loss and so it should be.

Be thankful for what you have in Australia. Don't move back to England unless you are 110% sure. I repeat 100% sure. The grass is not greener believe me.

You are right jase ,the grass isn't greener ...and it takes some getting used to ...and you are never quite the same ....you have to take the best of it ,and move forward.

Just got back from an evening meal in a lovely pub in brum city centre ...nice company ...return train journey £2.40 each ....as I say take the positives ,especially during the winter months

This thread had been inactive over a year and someone found it and posted to it. Keep in mind the original topic please and also that some who had posted on it last year may not be around to read or reply anymore.

Got it in one!

When I say I want to move home the first thing people say is "why dont you like Australia"...bugs the hell out of me!

..........And anyone I've ever told I came home have always asked me 'what brought you back'? Never 'why on earth did you leave Australia'?

lots of assumptions there nicf, most incorrect, totally agree I dislike adeliade for a number of reasons, nepotism, croynism, unprofessional child protection, cliques, amazing incompetence, mates of mates clubs, massive economic miss-management, dysfunctional leadership at state, council and local, isolation and lack of community, huge looming ICE proplems , sadly Adelaide should have alot more going for it, but it does not.

Before you move there , you should think about why is that, why does a place such as this, and on the face of it, such amazing resources , underperform so badly ? Maybe it's not as good as it looks ?

I took my autistic boy out of the so called system in adelaide and moved him to east sussex/kent in the uk, and he is thriving, it is such a weight off of our shoulders, for once we feel there is a light at the end of the tunnel, no amount of effort in adelaide worked, and he is a brilliant high functioning chap that is treasured in the UK system yet disregarded in SA.

Wrong on so many counts, SA's loss and so it should be.

What you said about Adelaide COULD be true if there are lots of stats to back your experiences up. Otherwise, it is one person's view only so no value for anybody thinking of going there or anywhere else.

What you said about Adelaide COULD be true if there are lots of stats to back your experiences up. Otherwise, it is one person's view only so no value for anybody thinking of going there or anywhere else.

SA Unemployment is highest in the country.

Stats to get a job is two to three times longer than anywhere else inthe country.

SA Job losses and so called transformation from a destroyed manufacturing to a new economy will take at least 5/10 years.

Net emigration out out of the state by skilled graduates and experienced migrants.

Net immigration into the state by people who can't get in elsewhere (hence 2nd choice).

Government has spent large on an infrastructure that cannot pay for itself (Oval, expressway - new hospital is 3rd most expensive building in the world and already forecasted to be 2 years over due)

SA, Adelaide has the highest average age - a looming liability on state pensions, healthcare and non/low tax paying retirees, forcing disporportional taxing of the earning tranche (18 - 55 year olds)

Mypoic Adeladians think that food trucks are an important issue (over 600 respondents in an adelaide city council survey) yet matters of importance to the economy are ignored.

Biggest recent Commercial SA success is On the Run, yep, Smoko's, Crispy Creme's . Fast Food and petrol, and lest I forget, underpaying it's staff.

Yup, All Class Adelaide, she's a picture.

Best thing in Adelaide's favour is it annoys the bitter and twisted type of migrant enough to move them on elsewhere, leaving us with much nicer people as a result!

Life's too short to spend rebutting all your accusations, but I will say that the Oval is well on the way to paying for itself - is still one of the most beautiful cricket grounds in the world, fills the stands for AFL matches, and Big Bash games in the summer, and has a world class restaurant in the Hill of Grace - with excellent staff, I might add :wink:

This is how I spent my Sunday afternoon in the Adelaide Hills...

winery.jpg

winery.jpg

Best thing in Adelaide's favour is it annoys the bitter and twisted type of migrant enough to move them on elsewhere, leaving us with much nicer people as a result!

Life's too short to spend rebutting all your accusations

Accusation is the incorrect term, I am pointing out facts, Facts as reported by the ABS and ocassionally selectively by your fantastic pinnacle of professional reporting the Advertiser (oh, sorry they don't like to say anything negative about the place) as to Adelaide, you are indeed welcome to it, the human race seem to ignore en-masse negative comments about a place until we find out for ourselves, thank god we only spent three years in adelaide, as one of my friends recently commented, 3 years is 2 years and 51 weeks too much.

Everybody in Oz points out the issues with adelaide, are you saying they don't exist, because If I was going to (for example) move my entire family and my toil and efforts in my children to say Bradford from Australia, I'd like to think that an occasional wandering poster on a forum would have the strength and integrity to post some facts about the place

Facts are as I have mentioned above. How often do you actually go to the wineries ? Bet it's less than 4 times a year and I used to work for one, so what you posted is not representative. it's misleading.

Accusation is the incorrect term, I am pointing out facts, Facts as reported by the ABS and ocassionally selectively by your fantastic pinnacle of professional reporting the Advertiser (oh, sorry they don't like to say anything negative about the place) as to Adelaide, you are indeed welcome to it, the human race seem to ignore en-masse negative comments about a place until we find out for ourselves, thank god we only spent three years in adelaide, as one of my friends recently commented, 3 years is 2 years and 51 weeks too much.

Everybody in Oz points out the issues with adelaide, are you saying they don't exist, because If I was going to (for example) move my entire family and my toil and efforts in my children to say Bradford from Australia, I'd like to think that an occasional wandering poster on a forum would have the strength and integrity to post some facts about the place

Facts are as I have mentioned above. How often do you actually go to the wineries ? Bet it's less than 4 times a year and I used to work for one, so what you posted is not representative. it's misleading.

Total nonsense - I've lived here 11 years - and as an Australian citizen by birth had the choice of anywhere in Australia to live incidentally - so I think perhaps I know a little more about the place than someone who didn't even live here long enough to get citizenship, and obviously felt hard done by every second he was here!

Adelaide does have it's faults, like anywhere, but all those skilled graduates that you mentioned in your previous post got their skills in our excellent education facilities, and we are a world force in medical research...it's a great place to raise a young family and the majority of those who leave to take their skills to the world when young often return to Adelaide when they have families of their own.

Am not surprised you think people don't visit wineries very often though: if you worked in one with your lovely positive attitude I bet most visitors never came back a second time! I visit a lot more than four times a year, I can tell you - but with so many wineries to choose from in the Adelaide Hills, Barossa and McLaren Vale - I can choose to go to those where the welcome is warm, and the staff are happy and fulfilled, and I don't have any trouble finding such places!!

SA Unemployment is highest in the country.

Stats to get a job is two to three times longer than anywhere else inthe country.

SA Job losses and so called transformation from a destroyed manufacturing to a new economy will take at least 5/10 years.

Net emigration out out of the state by skilled graduates and experienced migrants.

Net immigration into the state by people who can't get in elsewhere (hence 2nd choice).

Government has spent large on an infrastructure that cannot pay for itself (Oval, expressway - new hospital is 3rd most expensive building in the world and already forecasted to be 2 years over due)

SA, Adelaide has the highest average age - a looming liability on state pensions, healthcare and non/low tax paying retirees, forcing disporportional taxing of the earning tranche (18 - 55 year olds)

Mypoic Adeladians think that food trucks are an important issue (over 600 respondents in an adelaide city council survey) yet matters of importance to the economy are ignored.

Biggest recent Commercial SA success is On the Run, yep, Smoko's, Crispy Creme's . Fast Food and petrol, and lest I forget, underpaying it's staff.

Yup, All Class Adelaide, she's a picture.

So what is your point? Many countries suffer higher than average unemployment when their particular economy goes down. What has that fit to do with the people who live there? Ditto the alleged higher than average aging population, a commonwealth Govt issue so borne by all of us. Do you want people from SA to get a lower state pension?

Total nonsense - I've lived here 11 years - and as an Australian citizen by birth had the choice of anywhere in Australia to live incidentally - so I think perhaps I know a little more about the place than someone who didn't even live here long enough to get citizenship, and obviously felt hard done by every second he was here!

Adelaide does have it's faults, like anywhere, but all those skilled graduates that you mentioned in your previous post got their skills in our excellent education facilities, and we are a world force in medical research...it's a great place to raise a young family and the majority of those who leave to take their skills to the world when young often return to Adelaide when they have families of their own.

Am not surprised you think people don't visit wineries very often though: if you worked in one with your lovely positive attitude I bet most visitors never came back a second time! I visit a lot more than four times a year, I can tell you - but with so many wineries to choose from in the Adelaide Hills, Barossa and McLaren Vale - I can choose to go to those where the welcome is warm, and the staff are happy and fulfilled, and I don't have any trouble finding such places!!

are you taking Ice or drugs or something ? ah honey was in adelaide before you ever got there, I got my citizenship in 2004 , why do you seem to make things up and assume to underestand whats' said so inaccurately and so badly ?, I worked for southcorp wines, aka penfolds, aka treasury wine estates, aka the clowns who destroyed the boutique wine industry in SA in the early noughties. Ask anyone in SA, southcorp wines (the chairman who then went on to set Santos up for their current fail) are a clown outfit, their magill estate operation is a fraction of what it was and what it could be.

As regards the comment :

"a great place to raise a young family and the majority of those who leave to take their skills to the world when young often return to Adelaide when they have families of their own."

It's actually not, it's clique ridden, mono cultural, myopic and very limiting , I know plenty of families who have no intention to return to SA, us included, it's not that it a bad place per se, it's just the professional standard of people working there leaves alot to be desired.

as regards world class education, it's been commoditised, you pay, you get. I mentored UniSA masters students (paying 60K+ a year) and the only ones to make it were the overseas ones, the aussie locals failed.

Pity, but them's de facts!

place is in trouble honey, face up.