• Homes Down Under
    Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Title
      Liked
      12 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by jasepom View Post
      There is a lot of building going on in Australia right now, but you still need permits for subdivision. It's true there is more building going on but a lot of the outer suburbs are pretty much unaffected.
      A lot of old homes in the outer suburbs are being detonated and the 800 sqm blocks are being halved. I think within 20 years it will be hard to find home with a large block as many will be either very expensive and desired or would have given way to subdivision. It all depend son how much the economy grows of course and that's a hot issue in Oz right now.

Title
      Liked
      106 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by ozglenn View Post
      I thought the pop was 58 mill?
      Actually it's 63 million and there are about 32 million vehicles on the roads. In 1960 the population was 50 million and at that time there were 7.5 million vehicles on the road. Put another way, today for every 2 people there is one vehicle as against 1960 when there was a vehicle for every 7 people. So you see Jasepom and your ilk, its not the amount of people that make the UK feel crowded, the additional 13 million between 1960 and now could easily be absorbed without anybody noticing all that much. It's the cars that cause feeling of overcrowding.

Title
      Perth basher
      Liked
      1210 times
      Rep
      Car gate..!!!
      paul

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      525 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by paul1977 View Post
      Car gate..!!!
      Try closer to 70 million. As reported figures are over 68 million as of 2013 expect the actual number to be higher now.

The fact that there are more people of course equals more cars. The sense of overcrowding is down to everything not just cars.
      Last edited by jasepom; 18-09-2014 at 08:27 AM.

Title
      Liked
      106 times
      Rep
      Try closer to 70 million. As reported figures are over 68 million as of 2013 expect the actual number to be higher now.

The fact that there are more people of course equals more cars. The sense of overcrowding is down to everything not just cars.
      Oh hush my mouth and accept my profound apologies, it's 64.1 million, official figures for 2013 so unless it's jumped up by a stray 5.9 million (the total population of Scotland is 5.3 million) in twelve months you must have got it wrong, can that be so?

You know what, a lot of us on here are looking forward to your posts in a couple of years time when you've gotten OVER Australia and the UK is suddenly flavour of the month. If I happen to be the British minister for immigration at that time you can rest assured I will cancel your UK passport.
      Last edited by cjscjs; 19-09-2014 at 07:40 AM.

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      525 times
      Rep
      Sorry don't know where i got 68 million from. You're right its only 64 something so maybe about 65 now, if that's plausable.

Title
      Liked
      393 times
      Rep
      Be thankful for what you have in Australia. Don't move back to England unless you are 110% sure. I repeat 100% sure. The grass is not greener believe me.
      But I want to move back and I am sure - 110% sure

Title
      Liked
      393 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by MARYROSE02 View Post
      I wouldn't mind living in a big country town where everybody knows everybody else. It would be liking living in the villages I grew up in in The New Forest. I went back to England and had a great time, though it took me a while to settle after eighteen years in OZ.

Going back is wonderful for some but unsettling for others, particularly those who realize that they liked OZ after all. And going back to 'live' is not the same as going for a holiday when everything seems so pleasant and free from cares.
      But not everyone goes back because they hate Australia, they just don't want to live there anymore - plain and simple.

The difference between Adelaide and the New Forest is that it's a bit easier and cheaper to escape the New Forest when you want a change of scenery.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      5996 times
      Rep
      Does the UK feel that crowded though?It does'nt where I live (Wilts).I accept if you live in a major city,then yes it would be crowded like anywhere else.Spent quite a few times stuck in traffic in Adelaide recently,but only when I was driving nearish the city.
      When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      1095 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Katie22 View Post
      But not everyone goes back because they hate Australia, they just don't want to live there anymore - plain and simple.
      Got it in one!

When I say I want to move home the first thing people say is "why dont you like Australia"...bugs the hell out of me!

•  
    Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast