Adelaidians going back to UK

thinker78

hi there

I have posted on other threads but would be keen to hear from other SA crew who are heading back to the UK. I don't know anyone in this situation and would love to swap stories, maybe over a coffee or just online.

We should be heading back next year...no fixed date and lots to tie up.

look forward to hearing from anyone in our situation

thanks!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi thinker 78,

I've seen some of your posts on the main website but just come onto the Adelaide one to see what's happening! Yes, I'm planning on going back to England at the end of next year once my daughter finishes school. I've been separated for past few years (husband also English) and have 2 teenagers who both want to come back with me. Been here 12 years this April.

I've never felt like I've belonged here and miss England so much and been back just once and found it hard to return to Australia. I'm very excited but also very scared that I might end up being disappointed but it's something I need to do. Am planning on spending this year paying off debts accumulated after separating and next year saving for moving - it's a plan!

Would love to talk more about experiences etc.

• 2 weeks later...
hi there

I have posted on other threads but would be keen to hear from other SA crew who are heading back to the UK. I don't know anyone in this situation and would love to swap stories, maybe over a coffee or just online.

We should be heading back next year...no fixed date and lots to tie up.

look forward to hearing from anyone in our situation

thanks!

What part of the UK are you going too?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just went back after 12 years away and i must say apart from the traffic i really enjoyed it. I usually settle back into Adelaide again very quickly after previous trips but i have found it very different on return this time. I feel it seems very quiet and isolated and almost like a time warp. Maybe i need to move to the east coast or something or into Adelaide city. I certainly am missing the pubs and affordable eateries.

I reckon you should go back with a view to have a feel to see how you like it again long term. If you have your citizenship you can always return if you desire or need to. If you have family and friends in the UK it makes it much easier to settle back in. Living in a nice place and an ability to travel to the continent can make all the difference.

I just went back after 12 years away and i must say apart from the traffic i really enjoyed it. I usually settle back into Adelaide again very quickly after previous trips but i have found it very different on return this time. I feel it seems very quiet and isolated and almost like a time warp. Maybe i need to move to the east coast or something or into Adelaide city. I certainly am missing the pubs and affordable eateries.

To me it's just like a big country town and yes in a time warp, everybody knows everybody, and miles away from anywhere! Will admit I hated it to start with because of all that but have mellowed over the years and developed a bit of affection for it now. I reckon it's a not such a bad place to live when you have a young family but my kids are growing up now and want a bit more excitement and to be somewhere a bit different and to be honest .......so do I!

Maybe you should try Melbourne?

To me it's just like a big country town and yes in a time warp, everybody knows everybody, and miles away from anywhere! Will admit I hated it to start with because of all that but have mellowed over the years and developed a bit of affection for it now. I reckon it's a not such a bad place to live when you have a young family but my kids are growing up now and want a bit more excitement and to be somewhere a bit different and to be honest .......so do I!

Maybe you should try Melbourne?

I do like Melbourne but it same story if you live in the burbs over there. I guess Victoria has more towns to visit than SA does with easy reach of Melbourne. The dilemna i would face is a move to Melbourne would mean more housing costs and not much more pay in my job.

I wouldn't mind living in a big country town where everybody knows everybody else. It would be liking living in the villages I grew up in in The New Forest. I went back to England and had a great time, though it took me a while to settle after eighteen years in OZ.

Going back is wonderful for some but unsettling for others, particularly those who realize that they liked OZ after all. And going back to 'live' is not the same as going for a holiday when everything seems so pleasant and free from cares.

Going back is wonderful for some but unsettling for others, particularly those who realize that they liked OZ after all. And going back to 'live' is not the same as going for a holiday when everything seems so pleasant and free from cares.

I found that the roads network had changed and without my sat nav i would have been lost at times but then again i had not returned in 12 years until last month for a visit. Once i became familiar it was not a problem. Everywhere is getting busier on the roads whether in the UK or OZ. When your on holiday anywhere it seems all great because you have money and a good exchange rate helps. The people i find that moan are generally those on minimum wages here or in Britain. Somehow they think a move will give them a better middle class life doing much the same without getting better work skills. I told people in the Uk to get a good education if they are considering immigrating to OZ otherwise they will live a crappy poor life here miles from the beach in mixed up area. The people living in nice detached homes in nice towns, have great hols and friends are go getters here and in Britain. I have family and friends in Britain that plod along and others that live down south near coast with a unit in Spain and earn 6 figure household incomes. Food, clothes and a session at the pub costs much more in Oz i tell them so that they know the full story.

It was that about 15 years ago, but like Australia has increased by about 5 million in the last 5 years or so. Unlike Australia, the UK does not have room to grow. You certainly feel squashed living downunder.

The thing is oz doesn't have room to grow either hence the smaller sub divisions now and homes built not unlike English estates. I just got back from a visit to the Midlands and the new two story estates remind me of some new Oz suburban and city developments. I just found the road traffic to have increased dramatically in ten years. The towns didn't seem much busier and in the countryside and small towns it seemed much as i remember.

There is a lot of building going on in Australia right now, but you still need permits for subdivision. It's true there is more building going on but a lot of the outer suburbs are pretty much unaffected.

If you look at the growth in GDP in Australia, population increase is inevitable and there is a higher demand for housing. Saying that Australia doesnt have room to grow is slightly ridiculous given the size of the place. Yes there is the argument about water etc, but actually weve done pretty well to protect our resources.

The major problem is probably transportation and population centres. Cities like Melbourne can't expect to keep growing and have all the jobs located in the City. That is not really feasable. More jobs need to be created outside the city to relief pressure on public transport. Places like Geelong and Bendgo could grow and more people encouraged to move into the countryside (into Gipsland for example).

I'm sure Australia will survive a population of 30 million in the next 10 years, if its controlled.

Edited by jasepom

There is a lot of building going on in Australia right now, but you still need permits for subdivision. It's true there is more building going on but a lot of the outer suburbs are pretty much unaffected.

A lot of old homes in the outer suburbs are being detonated and the 800 sqm blocks are being halved. I think within 20 years it will be hard to find home with a large block as many will be either very expensive and desired or would have given way to subdivision. It all depend son how much the economy grows of course and that's a hot issue in Oz right now.

I thought the pop was 58 mill?

Actually it's 63 million and there are about 32 million vehicles on the roads. In 1960 the population was 50 million and at that time there were 7.5 million vehicles on the road. Put another way, today for every 2 people there is one vehicle as against 1960 when there was a vehicle for every 7 people. So you see Jasepom and your ilk, its not the amount of people that make the UK feel crowded, the additional 13 million between 1960 and now could easily be absorbed without anybody noticing all that much. It's the cars that cause feeling of overcrowding.

Car gate..!!!

Try closer to 70 million. As reported figures are over 68 million as of 2013 expect the actual number to be higher now.

The fact that there are more people of course equals more cars. The sense of overcrowding is down to everything not just cars.

Edited by jasepom

Try closer to 70 million. As reported figures are over 68 million as of 2013 expect the actual number to be higher now.

The fact that there are more people of course equals more cars. The sense of overcrowding is down to everything not just cars.

Oh hush my mouth and accept my profound apologies, it's 64.1 million, official figures for 2013 so unless it's jumped up by a stray 5.9 million (the total population of Scotland is 5.3 million) in twelve months you must have got it wrong, can that be so?

You know what, a lot of us on here are looking forward to your posts in a couple of years time when you've gotten OVER Australia and the UK is suddenly flavour of the month. If I happen to be the British minister for immigration at that time you can rest assured I will cancel your UK passport.

Edited by cjscjs