• Homes Down Under
    Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      6335 times
      Rep
      I wouldn't mind living in a big country town where everybody knows everybody else. It would be liking living in the villages I grew up in in The New Forest. I went back to England and had a great time, though it took me a while to settle after eighteen years in OZ.

Going back is wonderful for some but unsettling for others, particularly those who realize that they liked OZ after all. And going back to 'live' is not the same as going for a holiday when everything seems so pleasant and free from cares.

Title
      Perth basher
      Liked
      1210 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by jasepom View Post
      Be thankful for what you have in Australia. Don't move back to England unless you are 110% sure. I repeat 100% sure. The grass is not greener believe me.
      Hahahahahahah
      paul

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      525 times
      Rep
      Not sure what the laughter is about. Just saying that's all. A holiday back in England is not the same as living and working there.

Title
      Perth basher
      Liked
      1210 times
      Rep
      Not sure what the laughter is about. Just saying that's all. A holiday back in England is not the same as living and working there.
      That's the same the world over , if the uk was that bad 70 million people wouldn't live there
      paul

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      525 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by paul1977 View Post
      That's the same the world over , if the uk was that bad 70 million people wouldn't live there
      Given that argument, with over 1 billion people, China must be the happiest place on the planet

Title
      Liked
      12 times
      Rep
      Going back is wonderful for some but unsettling for others, particularly those who realize that they liked OZ after all. And going back to 'live' is not the same as going for a holiday when everything seems so pleasant and free from cares.[/QUOTE]

I found that the roads network had changed and without my sat nav i would have been lost at times but then again i had not returned in 12 years until last month for a visit. Once i became familiar it was not a problem. Everywhere is getting busier on the roads whether in the UK or OZ. When your on holiday anywhere it seems all great because you have money and a good exchange rate helps. The people i find that moan are generally those on minimum wages here or in Britain. Somehow they think a move will give them a better middle class life doing much the same without getting better work skills. I told people in the Uk to get a good education if they are considering immigrating to OZ otherwise they will live a crappy poor life here miles from the beach in mixed up area. The people living in nice detached homes in nice towns, have great hols and friends are go getters here and in Britain. I have family and friends in Britain that plod along and others that live down south near coast with a unit in Spain and earn 6 figure household incomes. Food, clothes and a session at the pub costs much more in Oz i tell them so that they know the full story.

Title
      Liked
      12 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by paul1977 View Post
      I thought the pop was 58 mill?

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      525 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by ozglenn View Post
      I thought the pop was 58 mill?
      It was that about 15 years ago, but like Australia has increased by about 5 million in the last 5 years or so. Unlike Australia, the UK does not have room to grow. You certainly feel squashed living downunder.

Title
      Liked
      12 times
      Rep
      It was that about 15 years ago, but like Australia has increased by about 5 million in the last 5 years or so. Unlike Australia, the UK does not have room to grow. You certainly feel squashed living downunder.
      The thing is oz doesn't have room to grow either hence the smaller sub divisions now and homes built not unlike English estates. I just got back from a visit to the Midlands and the new two story estates remind me of some new Oz suburban and city developments. I just found the road traffic to have increased dramatically in ten years. The towns didn't seem much busier and in the countryside and small towns it seemed much as i remember.

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      525 times
      Rep
      There is a lot of building going on in Australia right now, but you still need permits for subdivision. It's true there is more building going on but a lot of the outer suburbs are pretty much unaffected.

If you look at the growth in GDP in Australia, population increase is inevitable and there is a higher demand for housing. Saying that Australia doesnt have room to grow is slightly ridiculous given the size of the place. Yes there is the argument about water etc, but actually weve done pretty well to protect our resources.

The major problem is probably transportation and population centres. Cities like Melbourne can't expect to keep growing and have all the jobs located in the City. That is not really feasable. More jobs need to be created outside the city to relief pressure on public transport. Places like Geelong and Bendgo could grow and more people encouraged to move into the countryside (into Gipsland for example).

I'm sure Australia will survive a population of 30 million in the next 10 years, if its controlled.
      Last edited by jasepom; 18-09-2014 at 06:28 AM.

•  
    Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast