Umina Beach, what is it like to live there?

gavem

Hi There we are coming to Oz in Sept and are considering moving to Umina Beach. There will be my wife and I and our 6 year old daughter, and eventually 2 dogs. We are hoping to get some advice on what its like living there and in particular what Umina Beach Public school is like.

Hi There we are coming to Oz in Sept and are considering moving to Umina Beach. There will be my wife and I and our 6 year old daughter, and eventually 2 dogs. We are hoping to get some advice on what its like living there and in particular what Umina Beach Public school is like.

Why Umina Beach? It seems like a very specific area to pick. It's a very small place so I guess your chances of finding someone who's actually lived there are fairly slim.

Umina Beach is a nice little holiday resort with a nice beach and not much else, from memory. It's a long commute to Sydney if that's where you're working - about 1.5 hours drive if the road's quiet, two or three times that at peak. The train trip is over 2 hours. That's assuming you're going to the CBD, of course.

Hi I live in Woy Woy which is next to umina. Not a clue about the school as my daughter is only 2. It's a beautiful place & I've got lots of friends who commute to Sydney. There's the rail station at woy woy too. It's a beautiful place to live tbh, everything you would want. Pm me if you want any more info.

My eldest son has lived there since he was married almost 25 years ago. They have been very happy there. It has changed a lot in that time. I really enjoy going up there, The beach at Umina is very safe for young children as is Ettalong. Shopping and restaurants have improved and the train to the City is around 10 minutes away at Woy Woy. My son's two children went to Umina PS, which has a pretty good reputation. They were very happy there. What child wouldn't be in a school right on the beach.

I agree with the first post, it is a little unusual to be narrowing down your options to one very small suburb. Why not just keep it a bit broader to the whole area. I considered moving to that part of the world during our first year, but the commute into Sydney is really too much, probably best part of two hours both ways when you factor in getting to station,waiting for trains, walking to office etc. But we had a good look around and it is nice area.

Why Umina Beach? It seems like a very specific area to pick. It's a very small place so I guess your chances of finding someone who's actually lived there are fairly slim.

Umina Beach is a nice little holiday resort with a nice beach and not much else, from memory. It's a long commute to Sydney if that's where you're working - about 1.5 hours drive if the road's quiet, two or three times that at peak. The train trip is over 2 hours. That's assuming you're going to the CBD, of course.

Accurate description of what it used to be but out dated now. I can drive from the Hills,anytime outside afternoon peak, in under an hour. Can do the same at weekends if you choose your time of travel carefully. Haven't done the trip by train for years but I believe it's 1/1.5 hrs.

Accurate description of what it used to be but out dated now. I can drive from the Hills,anytime outside afternoon peak, in under an hour. Can do the same at weekends if you choose your time of travel carefully. Haven't done the trip by train for years but I believe it's 1/1.5 hrs.

Unfortunately most of us going to work can't choose our time of travel carefully though can we? Most are going to be in rush hour.

Not sure what travel from the hills has to do with it, but last time I checked, which was two or three years ago, I am sure the train from the area OP is interested in was about 90 minutes so you are easily getting to two hours once you factor in getting to the station, parking, waiting from train, walking to office the other end. Just looking at the train journey is not reflective of journey time, not when thinking about the commute.

Anyway, maybe OP is not commuting to Sydney anyway. :biggrin:

Edited by Rupert

Unfortunately most of us going to work can't choose our time of travel carefully though can we? Most are going to be in rush hour.

Not sure what travel from the hills has to do with it, but last time I checked, which was two or three years ago, I am sure the train from the area OP is interested in was about 90 minutes so you are easily getting to two hours once you factor in getting to the station, parking, waiting from train, walking to office the other end. Just looking at the train journey is not reflective of journey time, not when thinking about the commute.

Did I say that the OP or anyone else could choose the time they travel? My post was a general reply to another post. I think that you must get pleasure in trying to show that people give misinformation. My train times are those given to me by people to make the journey 5 days a week. We all have to admit that there are people who have more knowledge of some subjects than we do.

Edited by Ellie 2

Did I say that the OP or anyone else could choose the time they travel? My post was a general reply to another post. I think that you must get pleasure in trying to show that people give misinformation. My train times are those given to me by people to make the journey 5 days a week. We all have to admit that there are people who have more knowledge of some subjects than we do.

Did you say they could choose what time they travel? No you said if they are smart about what time they travel ... so almost the same thing.

The discussion was on commuting, admittedly OP hasn't said if they will be but that was where the discussion was. This forum is about giving people good information and anyone thinking they can move to Umina beach and commute to Sydney needs to understand it properly. OP might be thinking they can take advantage of cheaper housing up there and make some hugely incorrect decisions.

So this isn't about you or correcting you, it is about helping the OP. So wind your neck in because there there is no need for your unpleasant personal comments. Play the ball not the person.

Edited by Rupert

Did you say they could choose what time they travel? No you said if they are smart about what time they travel ... so almost the same thing.

The discussion was on commuting, admittedly OP hasn't said if they will be but that was where the discussion was. This forum is about giving people good information and anyone thinking they can move to Umina beach and commute to Sydney needs to understand it properly. OP might be thinking they can take advantage of cheaper housing up there and make some hugely incorrect decisions.

So this isn't about you or correcting you, it is about helping the OP. So wind your neck in because there there is no need for your unpleasant personal comments. Play the ball not the person.

I can be picky too. I said that if you choose the time carefully at weekends not week days, also I pointed out to you that I was commenting on the post I quoted, which was NOT the OP's post. Please read my response to the OP's post before accusing me of giving misinformation. I don't believe I made any unpleasant personal comments but simply commented on my perception of your post. As I do not know you how can I comment on anything other than that. Altho' some people seem to as I have been virtually called a liar on this form, in times passed.

Hi we have looked into various areas in Central coast, being near to WOY WOY station is a must as will be working in the CBD. Having read up on Umina, Ettalong, Blackwell and Woy Woy we kinda liked Umina the best, but wanted an up to date view of someone who has moved there.

The train from Woy Woy is 75 mins plus getting to station and work the other end. Similar to my commute into London now.

I'm with Rupert......commute from Umina Beach to Sydney terminals is at least 90 minutes on a good day, and in reality, more like two hours; not really the most convenient spot to get to and from....also, if you are going to live in a beach town, you want to see it at its' worst before you commit. By that I mean, weekends, summer season, kids out of school, families, cars, noise, nipper carnivals, and whatever else, descending on your peace. We did that in Terrigal for three months, and realized that while we loved the beach and the town, we didn't care for the downside of it being a tourist draw....

Hi we have looked into various areas in Central coast, being near to WOY WOY station is a must as will be working in the CBD. Having read up on Umina, Ettalong, Blackwell and Woy Woy we kinda liked Umina the best, but wanted an up to date view of someone who has moved there.

The train from Woy Woy is 75 mins plus getting to station and work the other end. Similar to my commute into London now.

Hi there!

My husband has family that have lived in Umina/Ettalonga and Woy Woy for years. They all love it. It's fairly quiet but has everything you need! Ettalong has just had it's foreshore developed and it looks amazing! It's such a beautiful spot, I fell in love with it when we went out last year so we are emigrating to Ettalong/Umina this August, just before you! Myself ( Brit ) hubby ( Australian ) and our two kids, 6yrs and 3 yrs. Our son is starting at Ettalong school. We choose Ettalong school as Umina is a lot bigger and he will be coming from a school of only 200. My husbands cousins boys went to Umina school, she was more than happy. Woy Woy school also good, she worked there for a while.

Do feel free to keep in touch if you choose to settle there, we will all be arriving about the same time so we will have a lot in common! :) Good Luck with your move!

Also once you start heading further down nearer to Sydney prices start going up. We couldn't afford to go any further down. It's a tricky one as obviously it is more of a commute but having done the train journey into the city going past the Brisbane waters I could get used to it! Beats the M25 any day! Lol!

Hi there!

My husband has family that have lived in Umina/Ettalonga and Woy Woy for years. They all love it. It's fairly quiet but has everything you need! Ettalong has just had it's foreshore developed and it looks amazing! It's such a beautiful spot, I fell in love with it when we went out last year so we are emigrating to Ettalong/Umina this August, just before you! Myself ( Brit ) hubby ( Australian ) and our two kids, 6yrs and 3 yrs. Our son is starting at Ettalong school. We choose Ettalong school as Umina is a lot bigger and he will be coming from a school of only 200. My husbands cousins boys went to Umina school, she was more than happy. Woy Woy school also good, she worked there for a while.

Do feel free to keep in touch if you choose to settle there, we will all be arriving about the same time so we will have a lot in common! :) Good Luck with your move!

Thanks SallyKay we will definately take you up on that!

It does sound lovely there.

Hi there!

It does sound lovely there. Sounds like you have family there but was wondering if you had any nfo about finding a property? We have just sold up here in Sussex and woud be looking to buy, but clearly would probaby need to find a short term let while we look. Any ideas/contacts?

It does sound lovely there. Sounds like you have family there but was wondering if you had any nfo about finding a property? We have just sold up here in Sussex and woud be looking to buy, but clearly would probaby need to find a short term let while we look. Any ideas/contacts?

Wow would you believe we have just sold up too and are also from Sussex! Just 20 mins from Brighton! Where are you guys from?

We are going to rent first but are always looking at property to buy, we use Domain.com and RealEstate.com.au both sights are good. We are going to rent a holiday place first when we arrive for about 6 weeks. Stayz.com is a good site for holiday rentals in the area.

It is all such a mine field isn't it?! We have a few family members which is great but still scary! Are you also shipping your stuff out? We decided to to keep our comforts! Thought it may help me settle!

if you're local and want to all meet up to discuss things let me know! We are meeting up with a friend of a friend just this week who is in the middle of trying to emigrate, it helps to talk with people in the same boat so if we can help you guys at all do just let me know! It will be no bother at all!

Wow would you believe we have just sold up too and are also from Sussex! Just 20 mins from Brighton! Where are you guys from?

We are going to rent first but are always looking at property to buy, we use Domain.com and RealEstate.com.au both sights are good. We are going to rent a holiday place first when we arrive for about 6 weeks. Stayz.com is a good site for holiday rentals in the area.

It is all such a mine field isn't it?! We have a few family members which is great but still scary! Are you also shipping your stuff out? We decided to to keep our comforts! Thought it may help me settle!

if you're local and want to all meet up to discuss things let me know! We are meeting up with a friend of a friend just this week who is in the middle of trying to emigrate, it helps to talk with people in the same boat so if we can help you guys at all do just let me know! It will be no bother at all!

That is a crazy coincidence!

Thanks for the info kinda what we had thought to do whilst house hunting.

We are sendng all our stuff we think, getting a quote at the mo, will wait and see how much the piano is though - very heavy!

Mine field it is, and not just houses.

PM me if you want to chat more.

We got a quote for £3200 for our container, that's for a standard 3/4 bed house. Also includes piano! Lol! I shall pm you my e mail I case you need any more advice or fancy a meet up!

P.s I was given some random advice by friends out there who said apparently the bed sizes are different so if you're shipping your beds out stock up on sheets before you go! In the big scheme of things that's very trivial but worth knowing! :)

• 5 weeks later...