luggage allowances

cuddy1

Hi,

can anyone share how much luggage allowance they had with airlines. ie: do they allow more if its one way travel, is it negotiable when booking. One suitcase doesnt seem alot to take enough to keep you going until container arrives..

Cheers

One way on an un-validated permanent visa can score extra allowance on one or two airlines. But I think main thing to do is compare the exces baggage costs when you are comparing ticket costs and factor it in. Some will only be £30 per bag and others will be by kg (so getting very expensive), I can't remember which is which though, so you will just have to read up. We flew business so the regular business allowance was enough.

Singapore is now 30kg.

Permanent unvalidated visas will get you an extra 10kg with Singapore airlines these days. Emirates stick at 30kg as per their standard allowance.

Booking through IOM can get you excess allowance but its limited to specific airlines and routes etc.

It's surprising what you can fill your case up with for 30kg, you also get 7kg hand luggage with Emirates. Don't bother bringing toiletries or towels, these are cheap enough to buy, clothes wise depending on time of year and where your headed you may just need loads of summer clothes, shoes wise just live in flop flops! Wear a heavy pair for travelling but again don't waste suitcase space with shoes, put these in your container. My son took his Xbox in his allowance, I took a dyson Hoover as forgot to put it in the container! It was the wand style and I had not long bought it so didn't want to leave it! We were still within our allowance. Also get the super light suitcases too, we checked in 5 totalling 60kg for the 2 of us

It's surprising what you can fill your case up with for 30kg, you also get 7kg hand luggage with Emirates. Don't bother bringing toiletries or towels, these are cheap enough to buy, clothes wise depending on time of year and where your headed you may just need loads of summer clothes, shoes wise just live in flop flops! Wear a heavy pair for travelling but again don't waste suitcase space with shoes, put these in your container. My son took his Xbox in his allowance, I took a dyson Hoover as forgot to put it in the container! It was the wand style and I had not long bought it so didn't want to leave it! We were still within our allowance. Also get the super light suitcases too, we checked in 5 totalling 60kg for the 2 of us

Not everyone can get away with flip flops at work. :biggrin:

We are flying with Singapore Airlines and get an extra 10kg migrant allowance (one-way, unvalidated visa). I just emailed their customer service after booking the flight and they confirmed that we will get it upon check out. So, that's a total 40kg check in luggage plus 7kg hand luggage.

I flew Singapore Air business class and got 40kg baggage, I had tried to see if they would give me any extra as I had a one way ticket but as I'm on a temporary visa they said no. However, I checked in with around 47kg plus another 10kg hand luggage and they didn't bat an eyelid. Their excess baggage charges are extortionate though (can't remember exactly but they charge per kilo and I think I worked it out as being about £40 per kilo?!?) so if you take a chance at going over your allowance, be prepared to pay a fortune or jettison some stuff at the airport if they try to charge you.

Have you looked into air freight as an alternative? I had 2 boxes sent by air with things like towels, shoes and some warmer clothes sent by air freight to arrive about a week after I landed. It's more expensive than a container, but quicker and usually cheaper than excess baggage.

Air freight can be your friend, take a look at something like www.parcel2go.co.uk I use them to ship stuff to my godson all the time. If you go for economy service (10-14 days i think) it's really not very expensive. Far less expensive than excess baggage. I did exactly that when i flew over at christmas, freighted all the gifts over so i didn't have to take those 12KG in my suitcase.

....talking of luggage allowances, does anyone know how this works ?

We have tickets from newcastle to brisbane with malaysia, that carrier gives me 30kg but I am concerned as the connecting flight from newcastle to heathrow is with BA who have lower allowances. I'm sure that the 30kg is good for all legs as its one ticket, but am questioning myself now. Can someone clarify for me ?

• 1 month later...

We are flying emirates (return) for our recce trip. 30kg per adult. 10kg for infant. 7kg hand luggage per adult. 5kg hand luggage for infant.

on our one way flight we will use emirates again. I had gone to pickfords website to get a quote, and ticked off the "get info from other companies". I got an email from anz with promo offers if we who open a bank account with them: free packing worth 200£ at pickfords.

EXTRA BAGGAGE 15kg with emirates! And fee SIM cards, plus a hertz rental deal. Might be worth checking out for the extra luggage alone.

We're flying China Eastern airlines in Business Class - the fare was very cheap (We're not expecting posh service!) but we do get 2 x 23kg suitcases per person + 7kg cabin baggage each + laptop bag/handbag each. It's a lot of luggage for the money!

We're flying China Eastern airlines in Business Class - the fare was very cheap (We're not expecting posh service!) but we do get 2 x 23kg suitcases per person + 7kg cabin baggage each + laptop bag/handbag each. It's a lot of luggage for the money!

How much did yo pay? If you don't mind me asking.