Fumigating new apartment

sjelves

Hi,

My partner and I will be renting an apartment in Sydney when we move over in July.

I read somewhere that it is a good idea to get the apartment fumigated prior to moving in to reduce the chances of creepy crawlies entering the apartment?

Is this true? If so, does anyone know an approximate price?

Many thanks

Sophie

We have never had the inside fumigated, surely that is only for an infestation. We have the outside sprayed quite often though, don't know how much it costs because we just ring up the estate agent and the organise it and the landlord pays.

As Rupert says, fumigation is not common, pest spraying is probably what you're after. Varies in cost from about $70 for a basic spider, through to about $250 for termite, spider and cockroach.

If the previous occupant had pets they would have had to do it on leaving the apartment, otherwise it's not a compulsory thing that the landlord has to do. Bug bombs are cheap and are easy to use yourself if needs be; we tend to do it after moving as things live in packing cases and like to make themselves at home.

You don't usually need to get a place fumigated after you move in, and I imagine you would be put off if you noticed hundreds of cockroaches scuttling about any place you were looking at?

I have had a couple of infestations of small cockroaches in the past five years, and each time I got a guy in to clean them out. He was surprised they came back a second time. He did a good job and charges about $120-130 for a one bedroom flat.

As Rupert says, fumigation is not common, pest spraying is probably what you're after. Varies in cost from about $70 for a basic spider, through to about $250 for termite, spider and cockroach.

If the previous occupant had pets they would have had to do it on leaving the apartment, otherwise it's not a compulsory thing that the landlord has to do. Bug bombs are cheap and are easy to use yourself if needs be; we tend to do it after moving as things live in packing cases and like to make themselves at home.

I'm on my second rental with pets and neither had anything at all stating I had to treat the house when I left. :-/

I used bug bombs on my first house when I'd just arrived as I was worried about spiders. I don't think I really needed too. However, the house I'm in now I didn't bother and we had LOADS of little moths which appeared to be hatching out of the carpet. We didn't realise until we were all moved in with our three house cats, so too late for bug bombs then. Next time I'd just use the bug bombs just incase.