British Passport for newborn in Australia

alexandra84

Hi all

Been a while :-) but struggling to understand exactly what I need to do to apply for a passport for a baby - so hoping some kind and kknowledgeable people on PIO can help me out here.....

Currently 6 months pregnant, due in June, with some international travel scheduled for the end of August how do I apply for a passport for the baby once she's born?

We are both UK citizens, with PR in Australia so as I understand it the baby will also need to have a UK passport. Has anyone else had to apply, who do I apply through and how long does is take (conscious that we are travelling when she will be 10 weeks so time is short).

Also, how do I get her added to our PR Visa, as I don't want any issues when we land back in Oz?

Cheers in advance

Alex x

Thanks, but I have been told by an english colleague (who had her second child here) that they had to apply for a UK passport for him. Like us, they are not Australian Citizens, so if both parents are from the UK then the baby's passport needs to be a UK one also.

The reason I ask about the Visa, is that again the british colleague, had difficulties bringing her baby back in to Australia after a holiday as the baby wasn't on their visa.

This was 5 years ago, so has all of this changed now? Links and website information would be useful.

Cheers

Thanks, but I have been told by an english colleague (who had her second child here) that they had to apply for a UK passport for him. Like us, they are not Australian Citizens, so if both parents are from the UK then the baby's passport needs to be a UK one also.

The reason I ask about the Visa, is that again the british colleague, had difficulties bringing her baby back in to Australia after a holiday as the baby wasn't on their visa.

This was 5 years ago, so has all of this changed now? Links and website information would be useful.

Cheers

Children born in Australia to PR parents are Australian citizens. The child will need an Australian passport in order to re-enter the country after the holiday.

Assuming you're not both British by descent, then your child will also be British (and therefore will have dual nationality) and you can also apply for a British passport for them if you want.

The British passport is optional - but, as Rupert has stated, the Australian passport is essential.

Details about Australian citizenship by birth are on the Citizenship website http://www.citizenship.gov.au/current/ where it says:

'Most children born in Australia before 20 August 1986 are Australian citizens by birth unless one parent was entitled to diplomatic privileges or was a consular officer of another country.

Children born after that date are only Australian citizens if at least one parent was an Australian citizen or permanent resident at the time of their birth.'

Edited by NickyNook

From the Aus Gov website

[h=2]Children born to a permanent resident of Australia[/h]Children born in Australia automatically acquire Australian citizenship if at least one parent is an Australian citizen or permanent resident at the time of the child's birth.

https://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/more-information.htm

As has been said, Aus citizen and Aus passport.

Uk citizenship will be via you and your partner and it will be by descent. A UK passport can be applied for if you wish therefore and baby can use it to enter the UK on and so on in the future. However, it costs quite a bit if living in Aus and baby will only need an Aus one to travel on and it will be straightforward to apply for.

But to leave and re enter Australia, Aus passport :)

Cheers

No it has not changed recently, perhaps your friends were on temporary visas. In which case yes the baby would need to get a British passport and be aded on their visa. Yours doesn't, yours will be a citizen. Try googling if you want some official links, there is an Australian citizenship website that I am sure you can find as easily as I can.