Fetch vs Foxtel

Debz101

I'm currently weighing up the two options as well so would be interested to see people's views - did a spot poll in the office at lunch and most people here said they have Foxtel but it's expensive and they probably only watch a few of the channels they pay for. Fetch has less channels available so I guess the question is whether the few channels you would watch are included in Fetch or not?

We were going to get foxtel when we first moved over. Then when I rocked up at work on a mine site they had it and I realized it was crap. So wouldn't pay for it. We are looking at a Internet provider for our new house and may consider fetch. But only if the Internet is good.

Google Chromecast is about to launch in Australia (maybe this week) and may shake up the incumbants.

It is a dongle that plugs into a USB slot on any HDTV. You connect it to your home wi-fi and can then stream programs you select on your PC, Laptop or Smartphone.

I'm not sure on the channels etc but it is likely to be significantly cheaper than its competitors.

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/

Edited by parleycross

Both Shite. Your better off buying a quality DVR to record the good stuff from free to air and plumbing in your lap top for streaming movies and box sets

Anyone tried them both?

What does Foxtel have over the Fetch service?

Multi room is one thing Fetch doesn't have.....Any opinions would be great.

Thanks

To be fair it is not all garbage. There is stuff to suit every taste.

But there will be a lot of stuff you aren't interested in.

There is a dedicated UKTV channel and a BBC drama channel coming soon. There is good American drama also, HBO stuff.

Plus is you love the AFL, NRL or EPL you would like it.

It is expensive to get all the good stuff though.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife likes a lot of the stuff on the Lifestyle channels, you can't get those on Fetch (or other internet services as far as I can tell)

I looked into Foxtel on T-Box (Telstra) but it's not very flexible - it's basic package, or everything. I've got no interest in the movie services nor really the sport any more, so not good value for us

I do find Foxtel on the expensive side (charges for multiroom, HD, DVR boxes etc are particularly excessive IMO and seem to be where they make their profits) but you can adjust your package easily and the service is pretty good. My response to their most recent price rise was to cancel the HD (not good value) and Sports (only really watch rugby league, and there's enough on 9 for me and their commentators (except Ray Hadley) are better anyway), so they ended up taking $20 a month less from me, which gave me a small smile of satisfaction. Always good to take pleasure in tiny victories against The Man

There is a lack of competition generally in pay TV, but then there is in the UK too. Difference for me is that at home there was enough on Freeview that Sky was unnecessary, I don't find that here so Foxtel it is

We have subscribed to fetch it was only 15 bucks a month on top of broadband/phone deal. Still to connect the box up though. Also going to subscribe to a proxy server thing as use our Apple TV to stream. Foxtel is expensive for the stuff we would watch as not into sport that much and a lot is free to air anyway or available on line.

the only thing at the moment is I miss the live rewind and recording facility, but the fetch box should do that when I get round to setting it up.

We have foxtel but only because my son pays for it. He was so disgusted when a lot of the live AFL games went to foxtel and then one Sunday there were no games at all on free to air. The following week the foxtel guys rolled up. If he moves out or stops paying it would be gone. It's nice to have and a good picture because of the box, nice to be able to record programs too and it's sort of got me a bit interested in the EPL again, highlights are enough though.

Apart from the sport there isn't a lot we watch, just too many channels to choose from maybe that we can't be bothered to check what's on.

Guest Guest66881

Yeah foxtel as a great picture quality wise but they are heavily into repeats/reruns, some good films to watch at times but main reason we have it because the little ones love scooby doo:laugh:

I'm paying $93 per month for Foxtel, which includes sport (EPL) and the drama series I like, - Game of Thrones, True Blood, Boardwalk Empire - and SBS World Movies. It is expensive, and I suppose I should really cancel my subscription, but I hardly watch free-to-air now. Actually, I could live without all those shows, but not the Spurs games. It's just not that convenient to go to the pub to watch them. Today's game v Sunderland kicked off at 5am so I recorded it and got up a little later.

Just downloaded express VPN.

Brilliant can now watch BBC I player, 4 on demand etc. All for $99 US for a year, can link to other servers all over the world too, and have two devices streaming at the same time.

you need good broadband I guess but seems good value to me.

Where we lived in Oz before it wasn't an option as internet speeds were very poor so it was satellite only and we didn't bother.

Happy with the quality, no buffering and can play via laptop or I pad on to the TV or just watch the desktop whilst ironing as I have just done, with only one. TV in the house this makes it more flexible.