Young family moving to the Sunshine Coast May 2014 (any advice?)

Fanya

Hello,

Its my first time on this forum. My partner and I have finally (after years of debating) decided to make the move down under with are two young boys (aged 17 months and almost 3). I am a mental health nurse and already have a community job sorted. However at the moment we are in the process of trying to organise short term accommodation or holiday let (cheap) for the first month of arriving in Australia. The plan is during that time look for more long term rental.

Any suggestions on short term (1 month) places to stay or websites?

Also can anyone advise on what is required when securing longer term rental such as references and perhaps proof of employment?

Anyone had any experience in regards to organising child care on the Sunshine Coast? Are there long waiting lists like in the UK?

Very scared yet very excited! Any advice would be much appreciated.

where is your job area going to be....so many places, from noosa, to maroochydore, to caloundra, to beerwah and caboolture....so the place of work for both you and your partner is going to get the best response to help with areas.....rental as alot have said before, if you have rented in uk, get as many glowing references as possible, or copies of money you have available. You can only give one months bond, ( so if agents see you have enough money in an account to cover 3 or 6 months rent that will get you an upper hand). It is a dog fight to get the nice rental, and have the agents on your side, so be prepared to move fast once u see what you want, and put in application within a few hours. However agents to hold on, until at least 4 good applications, then ring landlord or email details to them, for them to say who he/she prefer.

More than happy to help if you pm -

Thanks jamesnparry, that information is really helpful. Don't rent in the UK so don't have references but selling our house so will have proof of money in the bank. Hopefully that will go in our favour!!

Job is based in Maroochydore, so looking for somewhere close by with decent child are.

When I arrived, I got a letter from my Oz employer stating that I had permanent employment which helped secure a rental. When are you moving? Don't come in QLD school holidays (Dec - early Feb) if you can avoid as temporary rentals will all be sky high by then. have you had a look on air b and b airbandb.com? they sometimes have interesting self contained places and you could negotiate a longer stay if off-peak.

Sunshine Coast is lovely and rentals seem to be cheaper and higher quality than Brisbane. Good luck with your move.

Thanks jamesnparry, that information is really helpful. Don't rent in the UK so don't have references but selling our house so will have proof of money in the bank. Hopefully that will go in our favour!!

Job is based in Maroochydore, so looking for somewhere close by with decent child are.

Ask the agent selling your home for a reference, covering how well your home is cared for and take photos of the inside and outside so the agent in oz can see how you live.

Thanks Chortlepuss & Tina2,

We fly from Manchester to Brisbane in a months time (end of April). shall take my letter of employment along with me. I have the brochure from my property being advertised for sale so will bring that along too.

I have a community nursing job in Maroochydore starting May. However also contemplating a job offer in Mackay. Feeling very indecisive, however flights booked so at least I know its destination 'down under.........the rest will follow'!!

Will have a look at airbandb.com.au

• 1 month later...
Fanya

We are in the similar but but awaiting the Visa to be processed and reckon we will be towards the end of the Year.

How is it all going and have you made the move yet ?

Regards

Steve and Claire

Hi Steve & Claire,

Yes we have made the move! Just over a week ago. Flew into Brisbane and picked up a campervan (probably a bit on the small side for the 4 of us on reflection) and been travelling around the Sunshine Coast. All been pretty hectic but fun. I was fortunate to get offered a job on the Sunshine Coast and Mackay and we have now decided to give Northern QLD a try (we loved that area last time when we came travelling to Australia). However we have 2 years before our eldest starts school so we are happy to move a bit until we find somewhere we want to settle.

Sunshine Coast is absolutely lovely, it has a great feel to the place and there seems to be plenty to do. Start work at the end of the month. Still in Brisbane now and currently looking for a vehicle so we can do a road trip up to Mackay, although need to sort some accommodation once we get there!!

It has been quite tiring the first week, especially establishing sleep especially with our two boys under the age of 3 years. However starting to feel more sorted now and finding the change exciting.

• 2 months later...

Hi Fanya

We have just decided to move to the Noosa/ Maroochydore area in March 2015 as my partner has a job near Maroochydore. Any advice you can offer on a good location and community to live in and also childcare/ nursery tips would be much appreciated. I'm scared and excited too!!! Many thanks, Hayley

Hi Hayley,

We have been in Australia 3 months now. Initially we went to Mackay as we really like Central/Northern QLD. The Mackay region was amazing, however Mackay town itself was not for us a diced not feel it was the place I wanted to raise my boys. Therefore we headed back to the Sunshine Coast and absolutely love it. There is just so much to do for a young family. Been here 5 weeks now.

I work in Maroochydore. Partner has got a (job for now) north Brisbane so we are renting in Sipoy Downs (moved in last weekend) as it's convenient for the motorway. There are lots of lovely areas here. We especially like north of the maroochy river. Although loads of lovely places in the hinterland too. Noose is nice, but some parts are really busy with tourism. Coolum is where we would like to live should my partner secure a job on the Sunshine Coast in the future. A lot of people really like Buderim for a community feel.

In regards to childcare. I am going to have a look this week. I have heard there can be a bit of a waiting list. My three year old is not a problem, it's places for my 22 month old which I believe is going to be more difficult. Fortunately for us Grandma has come over for a few months to give a helping hand whilst we sort something as we are both working. I shall let you know how it goes.

One thing I will say is allow plenty of time to find a rental. We thought it would be straight forward but ended up struggling to find somewhere as there was not much available and lots of people looking. Also we wanted somewhere with decent garden space. Don't necessarily think this is reflective of how it is all the time but just to be aware.

Where are you moving from? What work are you doing? The Sunshine Coast really is a wonderful place. The three months we have been here we have just been so busy moving around and sorting things that I have yet to feel homesick. I am expecting that once we are move settled this may change. Not had any regrets so far about making the move down under.

Any questions, feel free to ask or inbox me. I too have very mixed feeling before we came out!

Hi Fanya, glad to read you are settling in well. On a tangent, may I ask how you are finding you work as a MH Nurse? I would love to move to sunshine coast but always discounted it as I thought I would struggle for work? Have you seen much advertised?

How's the new lifestyle? Does it feel like you've been there forever or is it home yet? Sorry, I have loads of questions...

Hi Jac2011,

We love the Sunshine Coast. However I won't lie, it's been a very hectic few months sorting everything out as there is a lot to learn and get your head around. Just about understand bulking billing and trying to understand the tax system. However definitely feeling more relaxed now we are in our rental. Although did not find that process easy at all. May have been bad timing but not much available and lots of people looking at the same property. We were getting a little frustrated as wanted to get something before I started work but this was not possible. Currently in search of long day care, visited my seventh nursery today and so far no availability. Thankfully Grandma is here for a few months to help out with childcare in the interim as we are both working full time and would have struggled otherwise!

There appear to be a few mental health nursing jobs about. They tend to employ Australian resident rather than sponsor people. I see quite a bit advertised. However it is also worth while e-mailing a particular manager direct to see if they have any temporary contracts as that can be a foot in the door. I applied from the UK and got a permanent full time job with QLD Health. Places in northern QLD are more likely to sponsor nurses.

Have you done the nursing degree or diploma? I only ask as I am aware of a lot of people who have come over here on a skilled migration visa due to being a nurse but are unable to get registered with AHPRA as they did the diploma training. Hence can't work as a nurse and struggling for work.

Any question, just ask or inbox me. I have a community job and can not believe how fortunate I am to be driving around in such beautiful surrounding (the Coast and the hinterland). I can walk across the road at lunch time and have my lunch on the beach.........feel very lucky!!

Jac this is opening 2016 is where I have my sights on. Mental health unit on the left

there are ways to submit resume on Queensland health , I have an e mail from them with details I can forward to you if you message me your e mail address ? I would love to live Sunshine Coast but thought it would be impossible job wise without a long commute but so excited to see this opening up

Yes, the Sunshine Coast Public University Hospital is currently being built due to open in November 2016. Its a big site and there a numerous cranes on site now. http://www.health.qld.gov.au/scuhospital/

For more information about future job opportunities at the new public hospital and to register your interest, email the Workforce Planning Team at SCHHS-Workforce-Planning@health.qld.gov.au.

The Private Hospital is on the same site and already in use. Including the mental health facility.

Thank you everyone that is fabulous news. I'll look into it when iv recovered from my shifts this week...

I'm planning in going over in 2015 so may just do some bank work and submit my cv just in case. Wonder if many people will apply? I'm presuming that this will interest a lot of MH nurses.

Hi Fanya

I just dropped on your post and wondered how you were getting on. We are looking to move from Adelaide to the Sunshine coast as we really feel there would be more for us to do with young kids. We considered MacKay as we know people there but don't feel it will be for us. I noticed you said you would like to live in Coolum Beach which is where we arrive in 2 months for our first look at the SC.

Can you tell me what you think to the area now you have done a few months there?

We have 3 year old twins and a 13 year old so it imperative we get our eldest in a good school. We have been looking on line at the Coolum Christian college as its got a good rep and is not as expensive as the private schools at Noosa etc. How are the people there, has it been hard getting a rental?

thanks

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

How exciting! I assure you will really enjoy the Sunshine Coast. Have you been before? How long have you lived in Adelaide?

Coolum beach is a great place. The beach is amazing and next to it is a play area and skating area. There is often bit of events going on and around the beach. Lots of activities and groups for children to join in with. It has a lovely surf club and the library is great for young children. I just get a great feel about the place. The place can get busy during peak season and at the weekends but nothing like the beaches in Spain! However just a short drive away takes you to quieter spots. We enjoy going to weekend markets, live music on, stalls and lots to eat as you walk around. The Sunshine Coast has loads of good markets. I have heard good things about the local schools both primary and secondary. People seem nice from what I have experienced.

We definitely looked initially to live in that area but my fella got a job north of Brisbane so we ended up in Sippy Downs as it's quick access to the motorway. Although still only a 10 minute drive to Mooloolaba ( again another great beach and place to look around, get a coffee) and the same for me to get to work in Maroochydore.

Mount Coolum and Marcoola are also nice but don't have the same kind of sense of community as there is no real centre.

Not sure if you will be needing day care. I am struggling to find places for my two boys at the moment. Rentals, it can vary. I think we were looking at a time when there was not much about and lots of people looking.

Weather so far here have been glorious. Odd rainy day but mainly blue skies. Quite cold still evenings and mornings but the day soon warms up. We are definitely settling in, may not have secured day care yet but boys are in swimming lessons and soon start little kickers.

Hope this has helped.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Fanya

Thank you v much for respondin. Sorry for the delayed response, I couldn't access the site. We are now set to move in Apirl 2015 and I am pretty excited about the opportunity. My partner is a medic and has a job lined up in Maroochydore, I currently work in tourism marketing, so not sure what I am going to do! We have been checking out the best places to live with a 4 and 6 year old. We have shortlisted Moolloolaba, Coolum and Perigian. We like the sound of Perigian having a bit of a hippy feel but it is very small. However, it only 4km from Coolum which seems to have a fair amount happening. We live in Brighton and are spoilt for choice of entertainment and events, so it will be a big change. I guess there is nowhere with a similar feel to Brighton? Also, do you know anything about Perigian and have you been there? Many thanks, Hayley

• 3 months later...

Hi fanya. I have loved reading your posts! We are a family of 5 with 3 children all under 7. Were hoping to move to mooloolaba in 2015. It all just sounds so exciting but seems scary too making sure everything is all ready and having everything we need! Iv already chose the schools and the area all we need to do now is get saving and hunt for a job in the construction industry for my hubby. Its the housing that is scary for me. I want to be out there and get some what settled straight away with the children! The town I live is not a place I want my children to grow up in so this is a dream I really do want to make real! You seem like you are really enjoying it out there! How was your first Christmas? Amy x

• 1 month later...

Hi Amy,

Sorry for the late response, not been on for a long while.

You wont be disappointed with the Sunshine Coast, it's a great place for raising children. My boys are just thriving here. After 8 months we are really starting to feel settled, boys are finally happy in nursery. This took a little while with them going to two different nurseries and each at a different nursery on the same day due to availability which was very confusing for them. However its all settled now. I really enjoy me job. We actually bought a house in Buderim two days before Christmas (which was very exciting) and moved in last week. Christmas was a quite affair, missed the family very much so. Although spent the day with friends and cheered ourselves up with picking up some awesome kayaks off Gumtree and have been getting out on the water which is fun (boys actually fall asleep as we are paddling along). Gradually making friends which is great, but obviously it takes time to build really good relationships.....like the friends back home. But I have found people to be friendly, everyone at work was offering help with the move.....someone brought home made banana bread round......something I have not had before arriving here!!

As I have said before, we love the outdoors, so Australia in general is a great destination for us. I find there is lots we can do that doesn't have to cost. I love Mooloolaba, excellent fish and chips from the Fish Market at Mooloolaba Spit (often go on a Sunday with a bottle of wine or a few beers, eat and drink whilst watching the boys on the palyground), fabulous esplanade, great for a morning walk and of courses beautiful beautiful beaches. The great thing is you can always find a quite spot even during the busy months........school holidays get very busy!

In regards to housing, there is usually a few rentals around, although they do go quick so you need to pretty much make a decision there and then at time of viewing.............that's my experience. Also you may change your mind about the area you wish to live depending on where you like or where you secure employment. Downside with the Sunshine Coast is that there are not many jobs and but there are a lot of people looking. My fella works northside of Brisbane which is a commute 1hr 15 mins each way (which good traffic), which is rubbish, but its work? Obviously he is looking for work closer but there is not much about. I would recommend having a job to come to before you make the move here or the funds to cover you for a period. Please don't consider this a negative it just seems to be the state of affairs at the moment. Even in the nursing field it seems that clinical staff are leaving but not being replaced. Although restructuring is going on at the moment. Think this will change though with the new Sunshine Coast Hospital opening in 2016. For jobs for your hubby check out SEEK.COM.AU.

I too was very scared and remained undecided about the decision for the first few months of being here but luckily it's all falling into place. I am really glad we made the move! I am sure that you and your children will not regret it if you make the move. Weather is great 9 months of the year. Summer (now) are the worse months with humidity but to be honest I have not found it too bad.

Where are you living? Have you got your visa's sorted out?

Wishing you lots of luck. Keep me updated!

Hi Fanya

Sorry I missed your reply and have just seen it when Amy replied.

We came over and stayed at Coolum Beach in October and loved it. Our eldest was our biggest concern and she said after 2 days of being there that if we were not coming there to live she would come on her own when she was old enough.

We tried to look at the place as if we were living there rather than on holiday which of course is not easy.

We have decided that we are going to move there this year and are so serious that we are moving back into our home which we were renting out this week and when it sells we are are on our way. I have also just sold my business so I will be unemployed for the first time in my life in 2 months lol.

We are going to move to Mountain Creek to start with, the homes are a little cheaper than the coastal areas and it seems pretty central. Our 14 year old is going to start at the high school there and see how she gets on. It seems to have a good rep. Our twins are 3, nearly 4 so we will sort them out when we get there. Nina the wife is a nurse so whe will look at the new hospital which isn't too far away.

How old are your boys, have you found day care yet?

Have you settled in more?

Marcus and Nina

Hi Marcus,

How exciting! I assure you will really enjoy the Sunshine Coast. Have you been before? How long have you lived in Adelaide?

Coolum beach is a great place. The beach is amazing and next to it is a play area and skating area. There is often bit of events going on and around the beach. Lots of activities and groups for children to join in with. It has a lovely surf club and the library is great for young children. I just get a great feel about the place. The place can get busy during peak season and at the weekends but nothing like the beaches in Spain! However just a short drive away takes you to quieter spots. We enjoy going to weekend markets, live music on, stalls and lots to eat as you walk around. The Sunshine Coast has loads of good markets. I have heard good things about the local schools both primary and secondary. People seem nice from what I have experienced.

We definitely looked initially to live in that area but my fella got a job north of Brisbane so we ended up in Sippy Downs as it's quick access to the motorway. Although still only a 10 minute drive to Mooloolaba ( again another great beach and place to look around, get a coffee) and the same for me to get to work in Maroochydore.

Mount Coolum and Marcoola are also nice but don't have the same kind of sense of community as there is no real centre.

Not sure if you will be needing day care. I am struggling to find places for my two boys at the moment. Rentals, it can vary. I think we were looking at a time when there was not much about and lots of people looking.

Weather so far here have been glorious. Odd rainy day but mainly blue skies. Quite cold still evenings and mornings but the day soon warms up. We are definitely settling in, may not have secured day care yet but boys are in swimming lessons and soon start little kickers.

Hope this has helped.

Hey Marcus,

Exciting news!!! When are you moving?

We are considerably more settled. Boys all at one nursery and enjoying it. They are 2 and 3. I really enjoy my community nurse job in Maroochydore. We bought a house just before Christmas in Buderim and moved in two weeks ago. Feels so much better being in our own home. We opted to buy in the Mountain Creek school catchment area as the public schools and have a good reputation. It's a great locations and close to everything we need. It's been a hectic past 9 months since we left the ok with some testing and difficult times but I have no regret so far!

Wishing you lots of luck with the move. It's a lovely place to live, however I think there are lots of amazing places to live in Austealia!

We are not sure yet. We have been in Adelaide for 5 years and this weekend will be our 7th move

here. We have been working hard at getting on the property ladder etc.

As soon as our home is sold we will be off so it could be 3 months or 9 months??

We went to Buderim it is a lovely place. We will look at there or Mountain creek and may rent or buy depending on how things work out.

Glad to hear you are well and truly settled, well done!

Marcus and Nina

Hey Marcus,

Exciting news!!! When are you moving?

We are considerably more settled. Boys all at one nursery and enjoying it. They are 2 and 3. I really enjoy my community nurse job in Maroochydore. We bought a house just before Christmas in Buderim and moved in two weeks ago. Feels so much better being in our own home. We opted to buy in the Mountain Creek school catchment area as the public schools and have a good reputation. It's a great locations and close to everything we need. It's been a hectic past 9 months since we left the ok with some testing and difficult times but I have no regret so far!

Wishing you lots of luck with the move. It's a lovely place to live, however I think there are lots of amazing places to live in Austealia!

• 2 months later...

Hi Fanya,

Just read your post, we are moving from Adelaide to the Sunshine Coasr (we're originally from Doncaster, South Yorkshire, been in Australia 5 years). We have just bought a house in Buderim (without ever seeing it) we arrive in June.

Which hospital do you work at, I am a registered Nurse, I work in Emergency so will start looking for work once we arrive.

We have a 14 year old daughter in 4 year old twins. I started looking for Kindegartens (pre-school) for the twins this morning but no where seems to have places available. Let me know how you get on with your search.

Nina

Hi Hayley,

We have been in Australia 3 months now. Initially we went to Mackay as we really like Central/Northern QLD. The Mackay region was amazing, however Mackay town itself was not for us a diced not feel it was the place I wanted to raise my boys. Therefore we headed back to the Sunshine Coast and absolutely love it. There is just so much to do for a young family. Been here 5 weeks now.

I work in Maroochydore. Partner has got a (job for now) north Brisbane so we are renting in Sipoy Downs (moved in last weekend) as it's convenient for the motorway. There are lots of lovely areas here. We especially like north of the maroochy river. Although loads of lovely places in the hinterland too. Noose is nice, but some parts are really busy with tourism. Coolum is where we would like to live should my partner secure a job on the Sunshine Coast in the future. A lot of people really like Buderim for a community feel.

In regards to childcare. I am going to have a look this week. I have heard there can be a bit of a waiting list. My three year old is not a problem, it's places for my 22 month old which I believe is going to be more difficult. Fortunately for us Grandma has come over for a few months to give a helping hand whilst we sort something as we are both working. I shall let you know how it goes.

One thing I will say is allow plenty of time to find a rental. We thought it would be straight forward but ended up struggling to find somewhere as there was not much available and lots of people looking. Also we wanted somewhere with decent garden space. Don't necessarily think this is reflective of how it is all the time but just to be aware.

Where are you moving from? What work are you doing? The Sunshine Coast really is a wonderful place. The three months we have been here we have just been so busy moving around and sorting things that I have yet to feel homesick. I am expecting that once we are move settled this may change. Not had any regrets so far about making the move down under.

Any questions, feel free to ask or inbox me. I too have very mixed feeling before we came out!